Hello UG Community!

I've been working on my bending technique, and have noticed on youtube that a lot of players bring their thumb up, and sometimes even wrap it up on the low E string to get more leverage on some tougher bends on the G,B, high E strings.

Anybody know if this technique is sloppy or correct? I just want to make sure I'm practicing my bends properly Thanks!
If you ask me, it's correct. Some people might disagree. But you get a lot more leverage out of it, and most books I've seen advise doing it, too. A lot of the people who disagree seem to be mainly classical playes where bending is pretty much frowned upon, anyway (though I don't want to generalise and there may well be some genuine criticisms of the technique).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends on which you're more comfortable is. From what I've seen, wrapping your thumb is more common (I do it as well). But not doing it can work as well,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVYAxDwzq80
While some habits are bad and hinder your growth, others are about preferences such as this one. Just make sure you choose the one that's not only comfortable but sounds good as well. I've seen people not wrap their thumb but have very inaccurate bends. So, find what works ^^
Oh yeah absolutely, if you can bend perfectly without wrapping your thumb round the neck, and you find wrapping uncomfortable, then don't do it. As with any more unorthodox technique, though, you need to be sure you're not putting extra strain etc. on your hands/wrist/whatever, just in case. You don't want to do any lasting damage, either.

EDIT: holy crap she can play
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 9, 2014,
Quote by SuperKid
bending with the thumb wrapped around the neck is much more easier imo

That's really the heart of the matter: while you can definitely bend without your thumb over the top and many people do... wrapping the thumb, just by pure physics, makes it easier.

Just so we'er clear as well: you should still make sure your thumb is in the middle of the back of the neck for just about everything else. Wrapping the thumb is basically only proper technique for bends and when you're using it to fret over the top, Hendrix-style.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: holy crap she can play

Why do you think used her as an example one of my favorite guitarist to watch on youtube.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
(a) That's really the heart of the matter: while you can definitely bend without your thumb over the top and many people do... wrapping the thumb, just by pure physics, makes it easier.

(b) Just so we'er clear as well: you should still make sure your thumb is in the middle of the back of the neck for just about everything else. Wrapping the thumb is basically only proper technique for bends and when you're using it to fret over the top, Hendrix-style.

(a) agreed.

(b) I dunno. Certain other things feel easier to me with my thumb around, too. I've seen plenty of pro players doing it, too. I'd sort of play it by ear (pun not intended... well pretty much intended, hey, it's me ). For pretty much any type of bluesy/rocky lead I prefer my thumb around (admittedly it has tons of bends and vibrato, but still). Even some chords feel easier to me with my thumb around, but I dunno if that's crappy technique on my part... but definitely some things feel easier to me as well with my thumb behind, so it's not like I never use the thumb behind technique.

Quote by Arron_Zacx
Why do you think used her as an example one of my favorite guitarist to watch on youtube.

easy tiger
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 9, 2014,