Nostalgia kind of makes me want to find one of these. I'm guessing they are fairly expensive when they can be found, and are they really a bolt on neck? That seems odd to me. I associate that with low end guitars, but maybe I have the wrong perception?
Last edited by Skeld1 at Jul 9, 2014,
Plenty of high end guitars have bolt on necks- they just tend to be better made than those on cheap guitars. My old MH100 had a big ass neck joint, was hard accessing notes above the 12th fret at times. My H338 doesnt feel the same, even though its also a bolt on, can easily access all the way till 22nd without an issue, 24th is available if I angle my hand a bit. IIRC the JH2 is a Jeff Hahnemann sig? Maybe he just likes bolt ones?
Quote by Skeld1
are they really a bolt on neck? That seems odd to me. I associate that with low end guitars, but maybe I have the wrong perception?

yes, you do. in a nutshell. while it's cheaper to make a bolt-on guitar (everything else being equal), plenty of absolutely killer guitars have bolt-on necks, it's not inferior at all, just different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, fair enough. It's a James Hetfield signature model built in 1998 I believe. I don't think many of his guitars have a bolt on neck to be honest, whether the one that he actually played that was like this did or not I'm not sure.

Oh yeah I mean it's entirely possible that JH might prefer a set neck or neck-thru- and if you're trying to nail a particular sound then trying to get as similar a guitar as possible is probably a good idea. But with no preconceptions like that, bolt-on isn't worse, just different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not so much about nailing a particular sound. Although I thought in the past (I started playing in 1999, but haven't stayed up on this stuff for the last ten years) that usually bolt on necks had the worst sustain, but had a brighter sound. Mostly about buying a collector's item that I would still play. I just don't want to pay thousands of dollars for something on par with a Squier in features/quality just because of the name.
I dunno if it matters all that much for sustain.

more expensive bolt-ons definitely aren't on a par with a cheap squier
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?