First I'm a bedroom player who needs an amp no louder than a TV or takes headphones.

I've taken up guitar playing again after a long hiatus. I'll be learning and practicing a song unplugged, but as soon as I plug it into my current amp, which is a Fender Mustang III, it's a total turnoff. This Mustang III amp was the best sounding amp I could find in my price range, that's solid state. It does heavy distortion quite well I believe, and clean channel is good, but it's "British Invasion" type settings, which are supposed to immitate old Marshall amps, I find lacking. And that's exactly the effect I'm going for.

How could one get an amp under $1000 (cheaper the better) and get that old Marshall amp sound prevalent with classic rock songs of the late sixties-mid seventies?

So far my favorite is Blackstar BT-5 I believe is the model. I asked about this earlier but have since found more information out. I want a very low watt amp, like 1 or 5 watt. So far the best sounding amp I have found over the internet in my price range is the MA50C. But this is too much power and no headphnoe. Not many agree with me and it's been discontinued. I think the biggest problem is getting headphones for a tube amp. Would I just be disappointed with doing so anyways?

The best example of tone I'm going for is the intro to "Walk this Way" by Aerosmith or the electric guitar in "Crazy on You" by Heart.
get a used Marshall Class 5, it is a 5 watt tube combo or head. They even have a headphone jack and sound very plexi-ish

You need to get a decent set of studio headphones, not DJ head phones.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I bought a 1/4 watt amp off eBay that was designed for that tone.

It does sound Marshall-y but obviously smaller, and feels great because you obviously have to turn it most of the way up in order to hear it, so the sustain is always there.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I bought a 1/4 watt amp off eBay that was designed for that tone.

It does sound Marshall-y but obviously smaller, and feels great because you obviously have to turn it most of the way up in order to hear it, so the sustain is always there.

Umm...are you trying to keep it a secret? What amp?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Try to find a toll free express. I think they were under a grand. They sound a lot bigger than they are. Can't wait to get one myself.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
british invasion is probably modelling a vox, i'd have thought, not a marshall. so maybe setting it to the marshall setting might help.

that's not to say it definitely will, and if you're used to tube amps you may well (probably will) still find it a bit underwhelming... but it'd be worth a try before forking out money, kind of thing, since it won't cost you anything.

EDIT: also I dunno what amp walk this way is. it might well have a fuzz in there, too (a lot of the late 60s/early 70s stuff has fuzz on it).

EDIT #2: I downloaded the manual on the fender site and the mustang III doesn't seem to have a british invasion amp model?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 9, 2014,
Couldn't you get a POD HD500?
Quote by Robbgnarly
You need to get a decent set of studio headphones, not DJ head phones.
Oow come on, "studio headphones" and "dj headphones" are marketing terms.
The low end sony DJ headphones sound better than most mid range general purpose headphones, and low end AKG studio headphones sound worse than general purpose headphones costing half that money...

For a reference, TS, good headphones on the relatively cheap are the ATH-M50, MDR7510 and K240 mkii.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Couldn't you get a POD HD500?
Oow come on, "studio headphones" and "dj headphones" are marketing terms.
The low end sony DJ headphones sound better than most mid range general purpose headphones, and low end AKG studio headphones sound worse than general purpose headphones costing half that money...

For a reference, TS, good headphones on the relatively cheap are the ATH-M50, MDR7510 and K240 mkii.

No they are not, studio phones have a flater EQ spectum where DJ phones tend to add alot of bass

I have a set of AKG K44 and AKG M80 and both sound just fine with my POD or when using them to track guitars. The M80's are $29 right now here
www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-m-80-mkii-semi-open-studio-headphone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Joe Perry has almost always used a Fender amp not Marshall
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Great guitar tones that sound like LP on the edge. I am guessing Plexi/closed-back cab due to the tight bottom on "Walk This Way".

Pod, Vox Tonelab LE, and Super Champ XD all have credible amp voices from this era if you got the chops.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are not, studio phones have a flater EQ spectum where DJ phones tend to add alot of bass
Cheap headphones don't have a flat response anyway, and it's not like added bass is a bad thing.

They don't sound natural and they don't sound faithful, but since one's practicing with a guitar he might as well go for something better sounding than something clearer sounding.

Also all high end headphones want to have a flat response other than a low slew rate and stuff similar to that, so "studio headphones" I see much as a marketing term.

Also the biggest difference between DJ headphones and general purpose headphones is, in my experience, the fact that the ones with the DJ label are made in such a way that you can bend them and turn parts to make them more comfortable to use in a DJ setting.

As for what sounds "just fine" and what sounds "good" I guess it's up to TS to try stuff and decide for himself what's worth his money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
While I disagree with Robbgnarly on Perry's amp choice for the Toys album, I totally agree that reference headphones are likely flatter and more true to the music than DJ headphones. Give me a nice pair of $100 Sony MDR and you can keep all the boom and sizzle DJ types designed to make music "more exciting".
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by metriccar
First I'm a bedroom player who needs an amp no louder than a TV or takes headphones.

How could one get an amp under $1000 (cheaper the better) and get that old Marshall amp sound prevalent with classic rock songs of the late sixties-mid seventies?

It's not going to happen with a tube amp.

Buy the Pod HD (bean). Pair it up with a good set of headphones (AKG 240D, Sennheiser 280, Beyerdynamic 770, Sony 7506) and/or a good set of powered monitors. I have the AKG cans and KRK Rokit 8's. The latter have about 100w each (give or take 10). Learn to use the Park amp setting and tweak it a bit.

You can blast your ears out and no one will know when you have the headphones on.
Oh, and if you just want the Marshall amp sound, look at Wampler pedals: the Pinnacle, the Plextortion and the PlexiDrive. Lots of vids and sound files.
Quote by Cajundaddy
While I disagree with Robbgnarly on Perry's amp choice for the Toys album, I totally agree that reference headphones are likely flatter and more true to the music than DJ headphones. Give me a nice pair of $100 Sony MDR and you can keep all the boom and sizzle DJ types designed to make music "more exciting".

Oh I know he has used different amps over the years, but he has used Fenders more often than not from what I have read or seen in videos
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i'd have said walk this way was a fuzz. then again, ever since i sort of discovered fuzz I think everything is a fuzz, so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I too would say walk this way is a fuzz if it matters anything.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
(we might both be wrong )

of course, the amp will affect how the fuzz sounds- so saying "I think it's a fuzz" doesn't mean the amp is totally unimportant. But if it is fuzz, trying to get an amp which sounds like that is probably an exercise in futility (or at very least, a very complicated way to achieve something very simple).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lucky1978
Umm...are you trying to keep it a secret? What amp?

I honestly don't know, it was a whole ago. The guy guts a cheap Marshall or comparable practice combo amp and replaced it with the 1/4 watt circuit.

If you search on eBay, you should be able to find a seller or two who does this. It was a GAS induced purchase, and not very practical, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. Doesn't get muddy and mushy like other low watt production amps I've heard or played, sounds tight and right with everything cranked.