Right now I have my old guitar to sell ($250-$350).

Neck Pickup: I have a Distortion set (TB-6, SH-6N) in my current guitar. I need something with a bit less mids. I don't want it to be brighter or any more bass heavy. Not spending more than $80.

Amp: I have a VK212, but even with my Duncan distortion pickups, I need to run the bass/resonance really low (strings aren't new but they aren't months old or anything). Should I sell the VK212 for about $250-$280 and go for an amp, or go for a speaker swap? After the pickup swap/labor, I'd have about $150-$250 for speakers. If so, which speakers? If I sell the amp, I have about (amp+guitar-pickup) $400-$530 . I'd want something with at least 2 channels and separate EQ.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 9, 2014,
not sure about the rest, but i'd have said smoother was more mids, not less (in combination with less treble)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get these speakers, people seem to really like the V30 type speakers with the VK amps
www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/warehouse-guitar-speakers-veteran-30-12-60w-british-invasion-guitar-speaker
and if you want to add some bass you can look at this to pair with it
www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-patriot-swamp-thang-12-150w-guitar-speaker
Or you can pair thr Texas Heat with the Swamp Thang also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dave, I removed the flowery wording. I think I want less mids because: I set my green rhino to the settings I'd be using with my bridge, then switched to the neck and changed the settings as necessary. I turned the mid curve knob more towards the "flat" setting and it sounded better for what I wanted. So I think less mids. I have to do a bit more tweaking with the other frequencies, though I don't need a pickup with more low end than the Distortion neck.

Rob, the problem I have is that I need the bass and resonance to basically be between 0 and 0.5 at all times with the currents speakers. I had this problem with my Dimebucker equipped guitar, so I thought it might be the pickup (probably was, that pup sucks). But now I'm using distortions, which I thought were supposed to be not as bass heavy, and I still have the same problem. So I'm thinking it's the speakers, at least as a start. Would the veteran 30's be tighter?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 9, 2014,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Dave, I removed the flowery wording. I think I want less mids because: I set my green rhino to the settings I'd be using with my bridge, then switched to the neck and changed the settings as necessary. I turned the mid curve knob more towards the "flat" setting and it sounded better for what I wanted. So I think less mids. I have to do a bit more tweaking with the other frequencies, though I don't need a pickup with more low end than the Distortion neck.

no worries
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the Veteran 30 has a very tight bass, and I really like the sound of them. Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYnuC2kUjQ
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate