Page 1 of 2
So, I've been playing for about 7 years, but now I don't feel like playing anymore. My guitars have been sitting there for the past few weeks and I have absolutely no desire to play them. I know more than 100 songs, but I've played them so many times that I find most of them boring. I'm seriously considering quitting and selling everything. What would you do?
how about writting your own stuff?

playing songs already written is fun if youre at a party/playing around.

writing stuff is what makes it interesting in the long run.

i know perhaps 3 entire songs that are not my own ones on guitar.

why even bother with that?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Don't make any rash decisions - anything that will effect your life like this needs careful thinking which takes a fair amount of time.

Leave it a month, maybe more like a year and see how you feel. The passion might come back or you'll meet someone to spark it off again. But don't throw the towel in just yet
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
Don't make any rash decisions - anything that will effect your life like this needs careful thinking which takes a fair amount of time.

Leave it a month, maybe more like a year and see how you feel.

Lol
You probably just need a new amp.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
how about writting your own stuff?

playing songs already written is fun if youre at a party/playing around.

writing stuff is what makes it interesting in the long run.

i know perhaps 3 entire songs that are not my own ones on guitar.

why even bother with that?
I have written like 100 riffs/melodies and even a couple of full songs, but right now I have no interest in recording them or writing more. Will think about it though.
Quote by Poglia
I have written like 100 riffs/melodies and even a couple of full songs, but right now I have no interest in recording them or writing more. Will think about it though.

well, perhaps that's that?

try another instrument?

I've realised that writing/arranging entire songs/albums is what's funny.
Playing cover songs is fun for the few minutes and then its over.
Quote by captainsnazz
yeah guitars are obsolete now anyway

says who? in what context/forum?

can you post anything not involving electronic/whatever music being relevant and good and guitars being bad as an objective fact?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
says who? in what context/forum?

can you post anything not involving electronic/whatever music being relevant and good and guitars being bad as an objective fact?

says me
in all contexts
please rephrase the question
Quote by captainsnazz
says me
in all contexts
please rephrase the question

okay, great. its just cute, being against a specific instrument/type of creation of music by choice because...reasons.

makes sense.

realised that the question I asked was rhetorically asked because I know you can't post about anything except than anyway.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
okay, great. its just cute, being against a specific instrument/type of creation of music by choice because...reasons.

makes sense.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. He's serious about all of it, in which case he's an idiot and you can just ignore him
2. He's joking and you should just ignore him

In either case, ignore him
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan

1. He's serious about all of it, in which case he's an idiot and you can just ignore him

i ahve done until now, been annoyed by him and similiar posters for years because they are so dumb when talking about this subject
Quote by StewieSwan

flutes r better lol
banned
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
i ahve done until now, been annoyed by him and similiar posters for years because they are so dumb when talking about this subject

hey don't worry it's natural to be upset and defensive when something u clearly hold dear is ridiculous
you'll get through this m8

Quote by deadsmileyface
flutes r better lol

Quote by deadsmileyface
flutes r better lol

im glad we have an understanding
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by captainsnazz
hey don't worry it's natural to be upset and defensive when something u clearly hold dear is ridiculous
you'll get through this m8

ok, must be a troll. or mentally challenged.
Get a macbook and make wubs like the cool kids brah.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Just quit and keep all your stuff. Then if you decide you want to play again, you can without having to buy more stuff.
Or maybe you could give it to your future children, or get them interested in guitar but never give them your stuff just to make the angry.

Even if I lost all interest in playing guitar altogether I couldn't imagine selling my stuff. It would be like selling your 12 year old daughter. Sure, you've grown tired of looking after it and decided you want a monkey instead but think of all the time you've spent with it over the years, all that 'sentimental value'.

Keep the daughter, put her in the storage cupboard out of the way AND buy the monkey. That way you still have your daughter if the urge to look after her and be a decent parent comes back whilst in the meantime, you have a funny monkey friend to hang around with and drink beer.

Buy a monkey, dude.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Guitars are outdated instruments that only 50 year old men who still want to play shitty metal or 80 year olds who form awful Beatles cover bands play
i don't understand how people can see playing guitar as a struggle that you one day 'quit'.

if you don't feel like playing guitar, don't play. if months go by and you don't bat an eye at them or miss it, sell your guitars. good riddance. how will you be upset about that decision if it's your decision?

then again, that's why i didn't want to pick music as a career choice.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by darkcheef
Guitars are outdated instruments that only 50 year old men who still want to play shitty metal or 80 year olds who form awful Beatles cover bands play

You forgot about nerdy greasy teenagers playing bring me the horizon thank you very much.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Poglia

You know "like 100 songs" and written "like 100 riffs/melodies". I suggested doing more things that involve the number 100...
Quote by Poglia
So, I've been playing for about 7 years, but now I don't feel like playing anymore. My guitars have been sitting there for the past few weeks and I have absolutely no desire to play them. I know more than 100 songs, but I've played them so many times that I find most of them boring. I'm seriously considering quitting and selling everything. What would you do?

There's nothing wrong with taking a break. I've gone for months without touching one of my guitars. It seems odd considering I paid a lot of money for two of them, but sometimes I just need a rest. Then one day I'll hear a song on the radio or on a CD I haven't listened to in a long time or on a new album, and I'll say "I need to play that melody right now."
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
if you don't enjoy it and you were hoping to become successful, then you might as well sell your shit. that's what it comes down to really. i've been playing for about 11 years now and i'll never quit, even though all i really do is play along to other people's songs. i enjoy it, it makes me feel good, and that's all i really care about, so i don't see myself ever stopping.
Why would you sell all of your stuff because you haven't played in a few weeks? I go weeks or months without playing and then right back into playing two hours a day.

Though I've never really understood "quitting" hobbies. They're basically just things I do when I feel like it.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Why would you sell all of your stuff because you haven't played in a few weeks? I go weeks or months without playing and then right back into playing two hours a day.

same here, in the grand scheme of things not playing for a few weeks or months is nothing

if you really enjoy playing guitar, you won't ever really quit
I'm kinda in the guitar rut too. I pick it up every now and again, but I don't have the desire to play as I once did. I play the few songs I know and let it sit for a bit. Don't give up on it though, I've been playing for 7 years too, it just comes in waves, man. It'll be on and off but don't sell anything if you truly love playing.
Do what Devin Townsend does. Start getting into multiple genres, and writing out of your comfort zone. Play different instruments, as well. As far as I heard last, he was really into playing bass and ambient/mood kind of music. You can take a break from guitar, but keep music on your life. Just gotta find a way to keep things fresh.
Sell all of your guitar gear and spend the cash no some other hobby you still really love.
Quote by deadsmileyface
flutes r better lol

this is like saying you'd rather ram a razor sharp dildo into your bum instead of ramming a razor sharp dildo into your peehole

You never appreciate something until its gone.

Pawn your guitar equipment for cash at a pawn shop. That'll give you about a month to decide if you want to buy it back or spend the money on more important things, like alchohol.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Try playing with a band. Try creating original music with a band. That's the thing man.
Page 1 of 2