So I play rhythm guitar in a speed/thrash band and I try learning Dave Mustaine's Megadeth solos but I can never get them down mainly because of pull-offs. from all the work I put into them, I can't play them. What are some easier solos (from any band, specifically thrash) that would help me increase my pull-off skill and work my way up to Megadeth?
Just slow it down, use a metronome and play at a very slow speed. Focus on keeping your hands relaxed and make sure all the hammer ons and pull offs are clean. After you're a pro at a very slow speed, increase the tempo on the metronome, little by little, until you're comfortable with doing it at high tempos.

My guitar instructor always said: You can't play it fast if you can't play it slow.
Quote by PiercedBand
So I play rhythm guitar in a speed/thrash band and I try learning Dave Mustaine's Megadeth solos but I can never get them down mainly because of pull-offs. from all the work I put into them, I can't play them. What are some easier solos (from any band, specifically thrash) that would help me increase my pull-off skill and work my way up to Megadeth?

Well the issue might be with your basic technique, are you absolutely sure that you're doing the pull-offs correctly to begin with?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah I put my finger on fret 17 then just drag the string down and off the fret which then gives me a sound for the 12. I'm doing it right I just can't do it fast enough. I'm specifically trying to learn the pulls like e:17p12 B:12 on 1000 Times Goodbye
Quote by PiercedBand
Yeah I put my finger on fret 17 then just drag the string down and off the fret which then gives me a sound for the 12. I'm doing it right I just can't do it fast enough. I'm specifically trying to learn the pulls like e:17p12 B:12 on 1000 Times Goodbye

That part is actually pretty easy. I'd suggest taking out a metronome (or looking one up online) and setting it to a moderate tempo like 100. Play it slow, and play it clean.

Another thing to focus on is your picking. You can pretty much pick this any you want to, but using alternate picking is probably the best for you in the long run. Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up...

Another thing that can help you (certainly helps me) is to accent certain notes. In this case, we can accent the down-strokes on the downbeat. So for every click on your metronome, you're going to accent that down-stroke. Remember the picking... Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up...

Get a metronome and practice.
Quote by wheelz1045
That part is actually pretty easy. I'd suggest taking out a metronome (or looking one up online) and setting it to a moderate tempo like 100. Play it slow, and play it clean.

Another thing to focus on is your picking. You can pretty much pick this any you want to, but using alternate picking is probably the best for you in the long run. Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up...

Another thing that can help you (certainly helps me) is to accent certain notes. In this case, we can accent the down-strokes on the downbeat. So for every click on your metronome, you're going to accent that down-stroke. Remember the picking... Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up Down-Up...

Get a metronome and practice.

In addition to this, another thing to keep in mind is your left/right hand coordination. Are picking at the exact right time or a little before or after you fret the note?
Thanks guys I already know about the alternate picking. I use it a lot. But anyways thanks for the tempo on the metronome. I have a metronome/tuner and always thought about using it but I don't know how to do that with guitar perfectly.
Quote by PiercedBand
Thanks guys I already know about the alternate picking. I use it a lot. But anyways thanks for the tempo on the metronome. I have a metronome/tuner and always thought about using it but I don't know how to do that with guitar perfectly.

While using a metronome isn't necessarily a predicate for being able to play really well... being able to play along to one with consistent time really is, as well as being able to consistently subdivide a beat in to any of the major divisions (basically any multiple of two up to 8).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by PiercedBand

Avoid thrash for now - I always recommend Iron Maiden solos for anyone, especially beginners. They are slower and very melodic - it's a great place to start. They are also incredibly awesome! What you want at the start are solos that you can clearly decipher with your ear.

The issue at the start is speed. Thrash really lives on speed and fast playing, which is not a great place to start from a lead guitar standpoint.

If you're hellbent on learning thrash solos , then Metallica's solos are much easier than anything from Megadeth, from a technical standpoint - so try those.
Yeah there's not really any such thing as an "easy" thrash solo, by their very definition they're going to be pretty fast and technical.

Might be worth trying some Sabbath stuff too, Tony Iommi tends to make good use of trills etc, War Pigs would be a good one to try.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Funny. I don't find the usual thrash solo as being technical. Fast, yes; technical, no. Usually they sound like mindless noodling on a few scales with the few exceptions of nicely technical and melodic stuff, or just plain wanking ala Slayer.

The solos of Wake Up Dead are pretty straightforward. The solo of Piranha is pretty casual. The solo of Over the Wall is very melodic and is not that hard. etc.

But as reverb66 said, best to start with Maiden solos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBanU-AHMqg
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Last edited by Archer250 at Jul 11, 2014,
I know there's no such thing as an easy thrash solo. I said to start out with to build up to more challenging solos. And Piranha is one of my favorite songs. I finished War Is My Shepherd back in May but never really tried the solos
One of the biggest problems I run into when trying to learn a solo is I lose track of notes. Is there an easier way to follow better?
Quote by GuitarFan995
Yeah, but maybe not the one you linked in that video, since it's pretty much THE hardest maiden solo. It might not be technically challanging, but it's fast as hell.

I'd recomend starting out with more tame stuff like the solo from the trooper. It's fairly easy. Lots and lots of legato.
Also, it's not thrash, but you might wanna check out some Michael Schenker stuff either with UFO or MSG. Except for his neoclassic pure alternate picking phase in the late 80s he's always been a legato guy, and he's one of the most influential rock guitarists ever.

You kidding me? Schenker had always had little legato in his playing. There are probably just two or three phrases that contain fast legato in Rock Bottom or On With The Action. It's his dynamics and phrasing that his uniqueness reside. And his solos are damn hard to replicate correctly.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
W
Quote by PiercedBand
One of the biggest problems I run into when trying to learn a solo is I lose track of notes. Is there an easier way to follow better?
Do you mean you forget the notes? If so, learn only a few bars a day.
Gear:
A go, but for different reasons, IMO. Hell, Mustaine reveres the guy and took quite a huge chunk out of his book -- all the chops. You'll learn a lot by copying Schenker *faithfully*, but there are better choices for legato. Dave Murray comes to mind.
Gear:
And look at his stuff back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGLbkpN4RfE

Only very simple two note legatos and few multi-note legato phrases.

EDIT: Having read the follow up to the original post, I realize that this is exactly waht the Op's looking for.
Gear:
Lol thanks for the suggestions! I think it's funny that I asked for them after y'all posted them!
Quote by PiercedBand

One thing people seem to neglect is the fact that you really need to know the solo before trying to tackle it.

If you don't actually know the sounds that you're supposed to be making how are you supposed to know if you're getting the physical actions right? You need to have pretty much committed the solo you're trying to learn to memory before trying to learn to play it, if you're able to sing along to it and vocalise every note then that's a pretty good start, if you can do it from memory though that's ideal.

And if you can't work out the notes to enable you to memorise it or sing along? Well in that case you're not gonna be able to learn to play it either, it's actually a pretty good way of figuring out if something's going to be our of your league.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Archer250
And look at his stuff back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGLbkpN4RfE

I like how they have "rock concert" on the back wall there. It's very easy to get confused with these things.

Quote by PiercedBand
Could y'all recommend any UFO songs?

Doctor Doctor!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I like how they have "rock concert" on the back wall there. It's very easy to get confused with these things.

Doctor Doctor!

*cough*no solo*cough*
Gear:
ah right i just thought he wanted good song recommendations
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just learned most of Kerry's solo on Seasons In The Abyss by Slayer. His is a lot easier than Jeff's, which everyone says Jeff's is easier. Only parts I haven't learned are tremolo cause I have an SG and don't want to put a gay looking bridge on it. Lol