How would you recommend the FG700S? I just want a guitar I can travel around with. I don't want to bring my $800 electric everywhere, so yeah. How's the action? Any tuning issues? Does it stay in tune? Looks like a good guitar. It got a bunch of good ratings.
the FG700S is probably the single most recommended guitar in that price range. and for good reason, it's sound and playability rival many $500 and up guitars. very little needs to be done to them when you buy it. it's set up pretty well from the factory. sometimes the saddle will need to be sanded down a little bit to get the action just right but that's about it.
the Seagull S6 is another popular one.
I've owned both and liked them a lot. I loved the sound of the cedar top on the S6 but, truthfully, the odd headstock bothered me.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
the FG700S is probably the single most recommended guitar in that price range. and for good reason, it's sound and playability rival many $500 and up guitars. very little needs to be done to them when you buy it. it's set up pretty well from the factory. sometimes the saddle will need to be sanded down a little bit to get the action just right but that's about it.
the Seagull S6 is another popular one.
I've owned both and liked them a lot. I loved the sound of the cedar top on the S6 but, truthfully, the odd headstock bothered me.

Awesome. Yeah it seems very popular. I might just pick the FG700S up. It's on level with some $500 guitars? Interesting
Quote by stepchildusmc
...[ ]....I've owned both and liked them a lot. I loved the sound of the cedar top on the S6 but, truthfully, the odd headstock bothered me.
It's been said here, (but not by me), that Seagull head stocks look like a whale's penis. I would guess that goes double for their 12 strings.

I just kick back and wonder, how f*****g many National Geographic Specials, or how many "whale watching tours", do you have to attend, to speak with any authority on the subject?

OTOH, the FG-700 head stock has never, (to the best of my knowledge), been compared to any animal appendage whatsoever. TS, I think you'll be safe from ridicule and similes, if you go with the Yamaha!
i wouldn't say that the FG700 is better than the $500 guitars i'd consider, but it does sound better than some of the "fancy" all lam acoustic electrics in that price range and kicks butt on any other $200ish guitar i've tried... and i try a LOT of guitars.

whatever the seagull S6 headstock looks like, it's a wonderful, great sounding guitar. personally i'm happy to relate that i've never seen a whale's penis, so i have no idea whether the seagull headstock looks like one or not
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The headstock for Seagull guitars are ugly. Never liked them.

Quote by patticake
i wouldn't say that the FG700 is better than the $500 guitars i'd consider, but it does sound better than some of the "fancy" all lam acoustic electrics in that price range and kicks butt on any other $200ish guitar i've tried... and i try a LOT of guitars.

whatever the seagull S6 headstock looks like, it's a wonderful, great sounding guitar. personally i'm happy to relate that i've never seen a whale's penis, so i have no idea whether the seagull headstock looks like one or not

So you recommend that FG700S over everything else in that price range? I just need a good acoustic.
Patti can't answer right now, she just climbed the Hollywood hill and is looking out over the pacific coastline as it is whale migration season and Cranky has picque'd her interest..... wanna borrow my binoculars or scuba gear patti ?
yes, that Yammie will work for you for a few years until you finally outgrow it and feel the need to upgrade... ahh... GAS is a wonderful thing !
i recommend the FG700 over anything else at $200. at $300 the FG730 has a little more warmth to the tone, and recording king makes some decent contenders, but the FG700 rules the $200 range.

the hollywood hills are over the coast, are they? i guess part of l.a. finally fell into the ocean for more on whale penii http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_whale_penis
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Captaincranky
It's been said here, (but not by me), that Seagull head stocks look like a whale's penis. I would guess that goes double for their 12 strings.

I just kick back and wonder, how f*****g many National Geographic Specials, or how many "whale watching tours", do you have to attend, to speak with any authority on the subject?

OTOH, the FG-700 head stock has never, (to the best of my knowledge), been compared to any animal appendage whatsoever. TS, I think you'll be safe from ridicule and similes, if you go with the Yamaha!

I don't see how they resemble a whale's penis. Might be just me though
Quote by Granata
I don't see how they resemble a whale's penis. Might be just me though

well, I guess we gotta spring for a whale watching tour for you
Quote by Captaincranky
Thar she blows...........!!

Lol I actually searched up a whale's junk (can't believe I just did) and I guess I kind of see the resemblance. I'm now scarred for life
Although it's way off topic, (like that's new), anybody who is even remotely interested in wild life in general, or whales in particular, should read this: http://www.wildlifeworldwide.com/journal/san-ignacio-lagoon-and-the-friendly-whales-of-baja

Quote by Granata
Lol I actually searched up a whale's junk (can't believe I just did) and I guess I kind of see the resemblance. I'm now scarred for life
You were destined to be scarred for life when you signed up. Now comes the harsh reality......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 10, 2014,
Quote by patticake
i recommend the FG700 over anything else at $200. at $300 the FG730 has a little more warmth to the tone, and recording king makes some decent contenders, but the FG700 rules the $200 range.

the hollywood hills are over the coast, are they? i guess part of l.a. finally fell into the ocean for more on whale penii http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_whale_penis

yep, just like because I live in NY, I have skyscrapers in my backyard and am totally obnoxious( ok, ok, so part of that is true)... c'mon, yer tellin me that if you climbed the hills and used a tall stepladder once you got to the top you couldn't make out whale HooHoos without a good pair of binoculars?????
so....umm...uhh.... FG700S it is huh ?
Quote by stepchildusmc
yep, just like because I live in NY, I have skyscrapers in my backyard and am totally obnoxious( ok, ok, so part of that is true)... c'mon, yer tellin me that if you climbed the hills and used a tall stepladder once you got to the top you couldn't make out whale HooHoos without a good pair of binoculars?????
so....umm...uhh.... FG700S it is huh ?

I think we should all take a moment and thank Alice Cooper for repairing the "Hollywood Sign", and giving Patti something to live under.

Me? I'm still under this bridge, getting hit in the head with crack vials and half full Chinese take out containers.........

But in all sincerity, I think our TS should spring for the AE version of the Yamaha, the FGX-200 C something or other.

BTW Step, I think your character is much more forceful and complicated than your surroundings. You would be triumphantly obnoxious, wherever your path might lead.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 10, 2014,
Quote by patticake

Hey Patti, when you say FG700 you mean the FG700S, right? What does that S stand for?