Page 1 of 2
I have an undoubtedly terrible nail-biting problem and it's a hard habit to break. Longest I can go is a week or two and it all gets ruined. It breaks my heart when my fingers hurt and I can't play well through the pain. Anybody have this problem or had and got over it? I've gone as far into thought as to make a fashion statement and wear gloves at all times, Dickie Roberts style.
didn't anyone recommend you paint your nails?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
didn't anyone recommend you paint your nails?

with the resin of the E resinifera spurge
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
No. I'm not hardcore enough for color. But took the anti-nail biting liquid into consideration but feared I'd adapt to the taste and just ignore it, really.
you can just buy clear coat. learn how to do your nails, spend lots of time making them right and keep the clear coat heavy.

Quote by theogonia777
with the resin of the E resinifera spurge

okay usually nitrocellulose lacquers are preferred for nail polish and idk if that that would work out but more importantly why are you so violent all the time
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 9, 2014,
Cut your nails until you can't bite them.

Nail biting is a huge turn off for me. The finger nails are probably one of the filthiest things on a person.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 9, 2014,
Quote by Eastwinn
okay usually nitrocellulose lacquers are preferred for nail polish and idk if that that would work out but more importantly why are you so violent all the time

it's not like i'm telling telling him to use it to solve an eye itching problem or an anal masturbating problem or a nose picking problem
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
it's not like i'm telling telling him to use it to solve an eye itching problem or an anal masturbating problem or a nose picking problem

why you always escalating orifices like that
Quote by stratkat
Cut your nails until you can't bite them.

Nail biting is a huge turn off for me.

I'm sorry for being unattractive but that doesn't help much. I know people with the same problems.
Quote by theogonia777

Anal masturbation is a problem people have?
Quote by CrazyAce#7
I'm sorry for being unattractive but that doesn't help much. I know people with the same problems.

And I bet their nails look terrible, I know a few nail biters, they have small cube shaped nubs for nails.
Quote by stratkat
And I bet their nails look terrible, I know a few nail biters, they have small cube shaped nubs for nails.

I don't pay attention, really, but I bet they do. It's just a thing that happens before realizing that I'm doing it.
i bite the shit outta my nails

i am terribly neurotic and it offers a bit of a release from anxiety or whatever

i bit my thumbnail so much i gave it an infection and now it looks like a butthole on my thumb

don't bite yer nails kids lets go

Quote by MinterMan22
i bite the shit outta my nails

i am terribly neurotic and it offers a bit of a release from anxiety or whatever

i bit my thumbnail so much i gave it an infection and now it looks like a butthole on my thumb

don't bite yer nails kids lets go

Woah. The furthest mine goes is a little bleeding and pain in the corners and tips. At that point, put a band-aid on and treat it. If not, I try to "bite out the pain"
The only way I can stop myself from chewing on my nails is to keep them cut too short to be able to bite them.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by CrazyAce#7
Woah. The furthest mine goes is a little bleeding and pain in the corners and tips. At that point, put a band-aid on and treat it. If not, I try to "bite out the pain"

at my worst i'm pulling entire layers off the surface of the nail/ruining the dead skin surrounding the nail until my fingers look like stale hot dogs covered in ketchup (blood)

it's funny though cause my fingers are one of the only parts on my body that i'm not completely insecure about yet i probably should be lol

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Jul 9, 2014,
Quote by CrazyAce#7
Anal masturbation is a problem people have?

if they become addicting and can't stop and so they have bleeding and stuff
I use to have a real problem chewing on cut nails, then I moved on to ring shanks. I have almost weaned myself of them but still occasionally find myself chewing on brads.
yep, and if no nail is left to chew i get at the skin

ive had many infections from doing this, do not recommend
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
yep, and if no nail is left to chew i get at the skin

ive had many infections from doing this, do not recommend

plagiarism isnt cool bud

Quote by MinterMan22
plagiarism isnt cool bud

my infection was not on my thumb and it didnt look like a butthole it was on my left index finger and my grandma had to poke it with a needle and squeeze the pus out it was very painful

ive also had them on my ring fingers but those werent as bad
banned
I bite my nails sometimes when they're just about to break and they feel so annoying and gross, so I just bite the falling-off part to get it over with and then I go home and trim my nails properly
cat
that germany brazil game today was a real nailbiter

jk no it was terrible
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by vocoderboy
nail biters are pillow biters.

u got me there

I used to have a big problem with this, then several years ago I saw classical and flamenco guitarists using longish nails for finger picking, liked the sound, and decided to try it. It was a little difficult to not bite them at first, but since I had a goal to accomplish I was able to stop for a couple of weeks and got them long enough to use. I liked the sound and feel so much that I've continued to keep the nails on my right hand a little bit longer than usual for males, though not super long, and I keep them filed with a slight angle. Once I started this I just kinda stopped biting my left hand nails as well without even trying. I just clip my left hand nails short and actually take care of them as well.

I've gotten to where I don't even use a pick half the time any more, even when playing stuff that would usually require a pick I just use my pointer nail unless it's super fast.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 10, 2014,
I've been biting my nails for 14 years. Stopped because of my job. Get a job?
At first it was tempting but what I'd do was just scratch the nail on my teeth and start clipping them.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Quote by stratkat

I'm a nail bitter but I actually spend time grooming the nails so the curve is smooth and lines perfectly with the curve of my finger
I like to smell and suck on my arm hair.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Had this bad habit my whole life untill i started playing guitar, now i only bite the nails on my little finger and ring finger on my right hand cause there the only two i dont need for guitar. i used to bite them all till they bleed, trying to play with nails that short is ****ing impossible.
Not as bad as some of the people here but most definitely, my hands look like ****ing shit
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
I used to, but not anymore.

The habit started because I was too lazy to get up to grab a nail clipper when I needed one.
A few years ago I noticed my fingers were starting to look ugly and disgusting, and I decided to stop.
I've simply used a nail clipper ever since.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Let's just say I haven' t cut my nails with something other than my teeth for years now..

Good thing is, I just use my teeth as nail cutters. I don' t bite beyond the excess nail and I try to keep them even and smooth as much as I can. But yeah, It' s a really hard habit to break.
Been biting my nails for 26 years.

It doesn't hurt, helps me concentrate on stuff, and I kind of enjoy it...so I have no desire to stop.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I still am kind of... generally I've stopped completely, though I do sometimes bite them to keep them smooth or to stop them from digging into my skin. Maybe, to stop biting your nails, you could get some gum and chew that, exercises your muscles around your mouth as well as stopping you from biting them; that's what I did.
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Shakespeare - Macbeth
Page 1 of 2