I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now. Up until now I've been content with my cheap solid state amp, but I've recently felt the urge to move into the tube world. I have my amp search narrowed down to two similarly priced used amps.

One is the Mesa Lonestar Classic 2x12---> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Lone212

And the other is the Orange Rockerverb 50 2x12---> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rockerv50C/
Note: The one in the link is the MKII 1x12

My main guitar is a Fender American Standard Stratocaster. I play in a band, so I would like an amp suitable for small venues. My playing style is mostly aimed towards Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. I also enjoy playing more ambient, effect-driven music (Explosions in the Sky). Feel free to give a personal opinion of any of the amps or recommend a different one.

Thanks!
the Orange would be better out of those, the Lonestar is great clean amp, but it does not do high/mid-high gain well at all (without the help of pedals)

Check out the Splawn Streetrod combo, it would be a better fit I think
www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What kind of pickups do you have in the strat?

What era of Pumpkins are we talking? Their classic sound is through a Big Muff.

I'd actually look for a JCM 800 or 900 combo.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 9, 2014,
Those are really different amplifiers, but they're both great in their own respects.

The gain channel on the RV is more suited for Foo Fighters and Smashing Pumpkins than the one on the Lone Star, I think. The clean channel is nice, but not overwhelming.

Kind of the other way around for the Lone Star, in my opinion. The clean channel is completely insane, but the drive channel is more suited towards classic rock, blues-rock and whatnot, but it can get gnarly at higher gain and volume.

They both could do it though and I'd honestly go with the Lone Star if you wouldn't mind adding some dirt pedals for it. It'll do way better for ambient, effect-driven music than the RV in my opinion and it'll do Foo Fighters and Smashing Pumpkins with a pedal without a hassle (and even without one, if you're not set on getting a very similar tone).
Loving the suggestions. Thanks everyone

@Maidenheadsteve, The strat has the Fender Fat 50s that were stock on the guitar.
The Smashing Pumpkins era I'm referring to is early 90s (Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie)

It should be noted that I would have no issue using a distortion or overdrive pedal for extra grit.
i would go orange if it were me in my situation, i love orange, but i am not sure for you.

i may be tempted to recommend the three for Lonestar for you out of the three. BUT i haven't played one for a long time. the cleans are stellar.

have you looked into a MKIV? nice cleans, and two other channels, throw a boost at them and you can pretty much do whatever. i paid around $750 for my head.

whats the top of your budget?
where are you at (forgot to see if was next to your name on the post)?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Keep in mind both those bands use humbuckers (Corgan uses single coil sized humbuckers). Just a thought.

Siamese Dream is a big muff pi. If you want to nail it, I'd pick it up.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
@trashedlostfdup, I've given the MKIV a lot of attention, but I've had a hard time finding a used one in my budget. I'd like to keep it under $1300 for a combo or a head+cabinet

For most of the year, I live in Minnesota.
Quote by edale02
@trashedlostfdup, I've given the MKIV a lot of attention, but I've had a hard time finding a used one in my budget. I'd like to keep it under $1300 for a combo or a head+cabinet

For most of the year, I live in Minnesota.

i was born and raised in MN. (Coon Rapids, Anoka, Fridley general area).

i have seen a dozen MKIV combos go under $900-1000 in the last month or two. look up guitarsandeffects.com or reverb.com they may have something worth jumping on.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Lonestar with an OCD in front when you need a little more attitude. I like the Orange, I just like the Mesa better... but I am a Cali boy.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Lonestar with an OCD in front when you need a little more attitude. I like the Orange, I just like the Mesa better... but I am a Cali boy.

+1. i would love to hear one with my zendrive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Robbgnarly
the Orange would be better out of those, the Lonestar is great clean amp, but it does not do high/mid-high gain well at all (without the help of pedals)

Check out the Splawn Streetrod combo, it would be a better fit I think
www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

Quoted for emphasis. I played one a while back. I think it would suit you well.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
How bout a Randall RM with Orange(ish) and Mesa(ish) modules? If you get the 50 or 100, you've got 3 spots, maybe a Fender(ish) module (the Blackface is impressive) .

The closest I've ever gotten to Foo Fighters is an Egnater Renegade. I wasn't trying to get Foo Fighters tone, but where I had the amp dialed in really reminded me of ff's first album.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
A Dual Rectifier does great for Foo Fighters, pretty much nails it spot on as far as you can with only 1 guitar, but it's not great for that effect-driven ambient style music.

A Stiletto might be worth looking into as well, now that I think of it.