Hi, always been interested to play and never really had the time to. Someone gifted me Rocksmith 2014 so I am looking for an electric guitar to use with it. I have little experience playing, I only played one song back in middle school and haven't touched one since. Sound isn't all that important to me since this will just be for Rocksmith, but I don't want something that will fall apart on me either.

Budget? - Practical: $50 Realistic: $100

Favorite Artists? - I've always listened to a lot of deathcore and other genres of metal.

Preferences? - Don't really care what the shape is, but I have really long arms and am quite tall, so nothing that is going to be too small. I prefer six-string.

Pickups? - Don't know.

New or Used? - Don't care.

Location? - Louisville, KY

Current Gear? - None
I have a Washburn RX12 that I picked up NEW - ON SALE for only $110 after shipping.
I also have a $400 Ibanez s521. The Washburn is a METAL guitar, the main difference between a metal guitar and a non-metal is just the pickups (Dual vs. Single), you want Dual humbuckers for metal.

You can get them with or without a Whammy (trem system), personally I'd get the one with the Whammy since it still stays in tune just fine.

You can still get them here:
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-RX12MGY-Metallic-Grey-Electric-Guitar.html
(note there are 4 different colors all on sale)

The Washburn is a much heavier guitar with a larger body compared to the Ibanez, but it plays almost as good as the IBanez, and amazingly it stays in perfect tune for a $100 guitar. This would fit you well for a taller person (I'm 5'8'' and it's slightly too big, but I can still play it just fine).

It does have a tiny bit of FRET buzz only on the low E string (biggest string), but I didn't finish setting it up yet and they might NOT all be like that. All I had to do to get it playing fairly well was adjust the action (just a couple notches on 2 allen screws), then it played good. I would change the strings as well though, it's easy to change strings.
Last edited by coderguy at Jul 10, 2014,
I haven't checked it out but I'd bet your local craigslist is pretty healthy. I'd look for a Yamaha Pacifica. I picked one up for $40. Go to Guitar Center and try out their budget guitars. Find a general idea of what you like and then lurk craigslist for something similar. Don't be afraid to haggle. With $100 and a lil patience, you can score a used guitar that'd cost $300 new.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If I were you, I'd look second hand. You could get much better value for money. But make sure you try before you buy, as a bad guitar will actually hold your playing back, even for a complete beginner. I'm guessing you wouldn't know a whole lot about guitars, so maybe take someone you know to help you choose one if you buy in store or from another person. If you don't know anyone that plays, just look for obvious signs of wear.

Also, look at squier guitars. They are cheaper versions of Fenders made by Fender in Asia. Unless you live in Australia I can't help you with pricing but a Squier Bullet Stratocaster is an ok beginner guitar, and even more so is the Squier Affinity Stratocaster, but that might be a little bit over your budget. To be honest, these aren't metal guitars at all, but if you get one with a humbucker in the bridge position (ask what this means if your not sure) you will be able to make more metal-ish sounds. These guitars can make a whole lot of tones anyway. I don't have one of these myself but my cousin and several of my friends do and they are decent.

The best thing you should do I think, is to go to a music store and tell someone there, as they will probably be able to help you best.
Do they make guitars worse than the Squire Bullet and Affinity?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Do they make guitars worse than the Squire Bullet and Affinity?

Yes.

While the Squier Bullets are mediocre at best, the Affinity series guitars are actually pretty nice overall, especially the ones pre-2008.
Well built, reliable, comfortable to play, and a few "lucky ones" even have great pickups.

And Squier's quality check is infinitely better than Epiphone's.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
i haven't tried it, but i think it has the rep of, er, not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ampage.grietu

I'd stay away from the Epiphone Special series.
They feel and play like a toy, they sound pretty bad, and I've seen quite a few with tuning stability problems.

Furthermore, Epiphone and Gibson both suffer from the same problem -- shoddy quality control.
I'd advise you to always try before buying an Epiphone or Gibson. One guitar may be fantastic, but the one right next to it on the wall, that is (in the paper, at least) absolutely identical, can be utter garbage.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I would again say take a look at the Washburns, they make some of the best under $200 guitars I've seen (though admittedly, I've only played maybe 10 under $200 guitars).

I am very happy with the RX12 as a backup guitar to my Ibanez. I'd say the biggest advantage of the Ibanez is the smaller design (like I said I'm 5'8" with smaller fingers), but since the OP was a larger guy, I think the Washburn RX12 would be a perfect fit.

The RX12 (after a setup) is very close to the playability of the $400 Ibanez, and the pickups sound just as good. The whammy works good, guitar stays in tune, but it's just a heavy guitar (which I don't like the heaviness, but I'm spoiled as the Ibanez is about as light weight of a guitar that exists in a normal body shape).

MY next (fourth guitar) will be a shorter scale. Boy if you think buying a guitar is hard, try settling on finding a shorter scale one (under 24"). There are some great shorter scale guitars, but there aren't many under 24" that are also under $400 even USED that aren't made for kids (a few).
Last edited by coderguy at Jul 11, 2014,
Ended up purchasing the Washburn RX12. I bought the strings straight through, even though I had originally intended on getting tremolo strings (they were out of stock and called me on the phone, so I just told them a different color and I didn't think about string type). I don't suppose it really matters all that much, I'll have to learn to replace the strings in any case.

I really do like the sound of it, though I don't have much exposure so I can't say how it compares to others. I really like the fact that I got a 12 pack of Fender picks, electronic tuner, and the RX12 all for under $105 with shipping.

On a small aside, I've been playing Rocksmith for a few hours now, and I actually feel somewhat competent now. I am trying to learn how to do bends and I can say that it is very difficult for me - perhaps because the steel strings dig into my fingers.
nice score

yeah it'll hurt at the start. i think the trick is practising enough that your fingers start to toughen up, but not so much that you start to get blisters (since then you have to wait for them to heal).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coderguy
The Washburn ships with 10 gauge strings (if you are bending using the strings that came with it), so try a 9 gauge set to make bends easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-Super-Slinky-Nickel/dp/B0002M6CW6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405731967&sr=8-2&keywords=ernie+ball+strings

I've actually got a three pack of those on the way already, but thanks for the suggestion.

Bends don't hurt all that bad anymore, still hurts if I do it too much though.
Quote by ampage.grietu
I've actually got a three pack of those on the way already, but thanks for the suggestion.

Bends don't hurt all that bad anymore, still hurts if I do it too much though.

Haha, Its gonna hurt for a bit longer. Hope you enjoy it, callouses and all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah it'll hurt at the start. i think the trick is practising enough that your fingers start to toughen up, but not so much that you start to get blisters (since then you have to wait for them to heal).

+3,1415

Luckily I found that sweet spot straight away when I started, and my fingertips got tougher without even forming callouses. They look absolutely perfect, some people find it hard to believe that I play guitar at all.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112