I don't know how to google this properly (apparently)

What I'm after is an extremely cheap (or better yet free) drum machine sorta thing for practice. Like - one step above a metronome I guess.
I've got a snark metronome. I've got the Gibson L & M app on my smartphone and it also has a metronome. They accomplish the chore.

Just wondering if there's some free app or something.
Ya know how those old synthesizers would have all kinds of selectable rhythms (samba, waltz, etc..) and an adjustable tempo? Like that.
Unfortunately, they all suck. I should mention, I'm a luddite.

Have you checked the "app store" on your phone? Maybe you'll have some luck.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I used to use frooty loops as a drum machine shows how long its been since I used an actual computer fir music lol. Aparently reaper has drum software built in it but it is nag ware so it will continue to beg for money. Also its a daw so thats an added bonus
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Hydrogen drum machine - 100% free and you can load your own drum samples in there.

Alternately, you can buy one of the old Boss, Alesis, Zoom, etc. machines off Ebay.

I recently good a Boss Micro BR (older edition) which has some built in drum machine stuff or click if you like to program to a song. Kinda backwards but it works when you need light & portable and cheap
Quote by CarsonStevens
...have you tried going to the Google Play store and typing "free drum machine" in the search bar?

There's no need to be like that.
Read the first sentence of my post. I wasn't able to come up with anything on my own.

It looks like I got leads from Diabolical and losing battle. Thanks fellas. I'll check those out..
With all the trouble I've had with drummers lately, they better watch out or one day I'll replace them with my phone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by losing battle
Aparently reaper has drum software built in it but it is nag ware so it will continue to beg for money. Also its a daw so thats an added bonus

Nag ware? It's not nagging you. You're supposed to buy it if you continue to use it after the evaluation period is over. For a full featured DAW I'd say the price is well worth it.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Cathbard
With all the trouble I've had with drummers lately, they better watch out or one day I'll replace them with my phone.

You can, with iPhone as long as you're ok with 4/4 meter and not big on tempo changes...but it is coming

I don't really play much with drummers, I use a mixture of loops, drum plugins like EZDrummer and my trusty Boss DR-880 have made the experience much more pleasant and time aligned
I'm not buying a friggin iPhone. If I was spending money I'd just go for an Alesis SR16, not a bloody iphone. Apple can blow me - says the man currently typing on an old G5.
I'm just joking anyway. I play punk, you can't do punk with a drum machine, that's all kids of wrong.

Btw. Reaper doesn't have a proper drum grid thing. You can program drums on it, sure, but you have to use something like the keyboards editor which is a right royal PITA. Unless there's some add on you can install that I'm unaware of? If so, please enlighten me, I could really use it. Otherwise I'll have to sync up a second application.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, the new Apple is definitely NOT geared towards audio and media pros like they used to be. I moved away from them and kept my G4 for archival reasons.

BTW - SR16 won't do tempo changes by itself, you'll have to run that from your DAW.
One of your suggestions lead me to Groovemixer which is a free android app and might be able to do what i'm looking for.

So yeah - checking out groovemixer.
Quote by diabolical
Yeah, the new Apple is definitely NOT geared towards audio and media pros like they used to be. I moved away from them and kept my G4 for archival reasons.

BTW - SR16 won't do tempo changes by itself, you'll have to run that from your DAW.
We don't need no fancy bullshit like that playing old school punk.
It's moot anyway, punk needs a monkey on a kit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by paul.housley.7
There's no need to be like that.
Read the first sentence of my post. I wasn't able to come up with anything on my own.

Actually, I did read the first sentence of your post, which was why I said "huh, that's weird" and tried it myself. If absolutely none of the pages and pages of results fit your needs, then you should have explained why so that no one would inadvertently look like a dick by asking the obvious. Especially given how many kids come here and basically ask us to Google stuff for them saying they couldn't find anything when it's pretty clear they didn't even try.

Edited to add: I'm not trying to be an ass, here. Sorry if I came off that way, and I hope the recommendations you got work out for you. I would suggest, though, in the future to provide as much information as possible when asking for recommendations so that people can properly judge what to offer.
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Jul 11, 2014,
Not only that but he seemed to imply in the very first post that he wanted someone to show him how to Google it properly. Then got pissy when you did.
Quote by CarsonStevens
I would suggest, though, in the future to provide as much information as possible when asking for recommendations so that people can properly judge what to offer.

No.
I've done exactly what you just asked for in another thread, another forum. That time i had people criticizing me for pedantry.

First let me assure you - I'm not going to have a fued on the internet. I respect you. That can be the end of things if you'd like. I would rather not fight.

But I am pissy about the situation.
I try to be a good forum member and yet somehow i always manage to run into somebody who thinks i violated "the internet code". I'm not going to list every google search combo that i attempted just on the off-chance that someone on the forum might think that i didn't try to find it for myself. I tried. Most of my searches included the word metronome so that is probably where i was going wrong.
I came here thinking that there's probably somebody who has a favorite piece of software and would be happy to recommend it. I can see that i was a little bit mistaken. It appears that most people who want this kind of thing are using their computer or a pedal.
Good thing to know.
Quote by CarsonStevens
So, basically, the answer is "No, I didn't try that" and rather than realize you goofed, it's somehow my fault because other forums. Glad to help.

I'm trying to be polite but you're not really getting it. So here's the blunt version:

You didn't understand my question.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. You seem to think it's my fault for the way I worded the question. That might be true but there are clearly at least a few people here who either understood what I was asking or were at least willing to give me the benefit of the doubt. You on the other hand assumed that I didn't try to find this on my own and you wanted to give me a hard time about that.

Let me remove all doubt.

Yes. I googled it.
Yes. I checked the Play store.

But you assumed, and you accused, and i've been around the internet enough times to know how quickly these things can turn against the OP if the forum members become convinced that OP was too lazy to do his own legwork. By making this accusation you created a problem for me. You clearly don't have anything to add the discussion for one thing, but you also planted a seed of doubt about my intentions. That seed you planted may have prevented me from getting suggestions from other members.

So was this worth it for you? Did you get satisfaction out of it? You've managed to hijack a thread and annoy me repeatedly, and all because you incorrectly assumed that you had a lesson to teach me.

Well here's a lesson for you:
Next time you get the urge to do something like this - don't.
The internet does not need you. We'll all get along just fine without yet another guy trying to be the message-board policeman. The best thing you can do is just click that back button and move on to the next thread. You'll cause less arguments that way and I dare say that fewer arguments is a more positive result than whatever you were hoping to achieve when you tried to remind me that search engines exist.
Quote by paul.housley.7
<Big Wall-O-Text>

Relax, this is a casual forum. You're trying to 'fix' his problem just as much as he's trying to fix yours.

Both y'all, move on...

I'm the resident a$$hole, Cathbard is the resident curmudgeon. The roster is already filled.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 11, 2014,

Do I detect a demarcation dispute? Be very careful there. I won't call the shop steward, I'll just burn your ****ing house down with you still inside it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Do I detect a demarcation dispute? Be very careful there. I won't call the shop steward, I'll just burn your ****ing house down with you still inside it.

Jokes on you, brick house!!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin