Hi all! This is my first post, I've been trolling around for abit now and thought I'd check in. I've got a Schecter Damien 6 and a few crappy amps. Going to go pick up my Peavey Vypyr 60 in a few weeks thanks to all the informative posts!

My questions is, I have been playing various instruments since the mid 90's and never really got serious about any of them. As for guitar, I know open chords, a few openings to songs etc. Since I decided to get abit more serious (about a year now) I've really been working on scales and keys. My biggest hurdle is relearning the RIGHT way to go about everything. I've been watching videos about proper hand placement, pick holding. Is this the correct way to go about doing this? Or should I just stick to whats comfortable? Thanks for any / all input it's much appreciated.
It depends on what part of your technique you are talking about. The way you hold the pick is usually a "whatever's comfortable" thing within reason, but the way you position your left hand can make or break you based on the intensity of the goals you wish to achieve. I had to re-learn how to use my left hand because I fell into the bad habit of bringing my fingers into the frets at an angle instead of keeping my whole hand parallel to the the neck. I see many other guitarists who make the same mistake. I can now play leagues beyond what I could do then.
Quote by JayofallTrades
Hi all! This is my first post, I've been trolling around for abit now and thought I'd check in. I've got a Schecter Damien 6 and a few crappy amps. Going to go pick up my Peavey Vypyr 60 in a few weeks thanks to all the informative posts!

My questions is, I have been playing various instruments since the mid 90's and never really got serious about any of them. As for guitar, I know open chords, a few openings to songs etc. Since I decided to get abit more serious (about a year now) I've really been working on scales and keys. My biggest hurdle is relearning the RIGHT way to go about everything. I've been watching videos about proper hand placement, pick holding. Is this the correct way to go about doing this? Or should I just stick to whats comfortable? Thanks for any / all input it's much appreciated.

Well it really depends which videos you've been watching, there's still a lot of misinformation about on youtube and other sites.

Really, in my opinion anyway, you're going about it the right way by finding out the right way first and doing that. I'm of the opinion that whatever technique you adopt will become comfortable in time as you do it enough so you might as well get it right to begin with.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the input. I've been using justinguitar for info mostly, some old books as well. Also slowly but surely figuring out exactly "HOW" to practice. Thats a skill that its taken years to learn for me unfortunately.
Justin guitar is a great resource.

Take a look at the stickied posts by Freepower on this forum, they are incredibly useful for developing technique and should lead you in the right direction.