Rather vague question this, but what sort of scales/chord progessions work for that kinda standard piratey/sailory music.

You know, like the sort of stuff on Monkey Island and Old Jacks Boat
It's probably a standard major scale/one of its modes, but the sound is achieved through the "jumpy" melody and type of instrumentation. Anyway, you could probably find midi files of Monkey Island's soundtrack and inspect the actual notes.
It's not really about scales or chords. I mean, a scale doesn't define a genre. Yes, certain scales do work better for certain genres but using the minor scale doesn't make your songs sound like "pirate music".

Try writing "heroic" melodies. Use 6/8 time signature. Accordion adds some pirate/sailor feeling to the song.

Listen to lots of "pirate" sounding music and analyze them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I don't know about the later games in the series, but the music from the first two Monkey Island games was reggae and calypso music. You can start by studying those styles. Reggae in particular has some interesting bits to it; the 'jumpiness' mentioned above is achieved by playing on the 'up' beats (as in, the 'and' when counting in eights).
(apologies in advance for this one even by my standards this one sucks)

Quote by MaggaraMarine
It's not really about scales

I dunno, I reckon the minorrrrr or majorrrrr scales could work well.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?