Hey, I am looking for a nice versatile tube combo my hearts sort of set on a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III but I want to know if you guys can recommend me anything similar or better.

I need something very versatile as I play anything from Jazz to Metal needing both super clean and very distorted sounds and everything in between. A footswitch is necessary too as I will be using it for live use where my little Blackstar HT-1 although Mic'ed up it copes with gigs I can't switch sounds on the fly so it's fairly limited plus it would be more ideal to have a larger combo.

Willing to spend around £600 so fire away.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
The Fender HRDiii doesnt have a great dirt channel which isnt a problem if youre getting all you dirt from pedals. Makes a good clean platform.

Have you looked at a Marshall DSL? Nice cleans on that and has about as much gain on tap as about 9/10 people would need, depending on your definition of "metal"
Yeah Metal is a broad term these days, without knowing what you play, we can't really recommend anything!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Okay thanks I'll check out the Marshall. Yeah sorry for the vagueness, fairly classic Metal and Prog really. The heaviest I probably play is Dream Theater, Metallica etc and that's not very often the majorty of my playing is Jazz, Funk, Blues stuff. Good cleans are probably the most import so long as I have high gain for solo's which can come from pedals.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

Yep. Have a look into a used Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50. That should get you where you need to be, especially with an o/d pedal. Does blues and hard rock without breaking a sweat. Can get em for about £300-£350. Thats for the head.

You should be able to grab a Harley Benton 212 cab with V30s in for £100 used too if youre patient.

You can get the DSL as a combo too if youd prefer. Not sure how much they generally go for

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-JCM-2000-DSL-401-Valve-Amp-/221486956678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3391a6c086#ht_253wt_959
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 10, 2014,
How about a 70's silver-face Fender Twin? Loud as feck, takes pedals well, clean as a whistle. The master volume ones seem to go for much less money than the non-master ones
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
The Peavey Classic 50 is an option. Amazing amps that can be found for shamefully cheap used for what you get out of them, I guess it's the Peavey logo on it. The clan sounds are great and it can touch on metal sounds (I never go that high though) and a tube screamer type pedal will always help to push it.
What type of channel setup do you like? Like, separate EQ, multiple channels, etc.?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Hot Rod is a great versatile amp. The DSLs are also very good. The DSL might be better because it does have a decent dirt channel as well. I like the Fenders OD, but it won't be as good as the marshall for the things you described. You could also check out Traynor if they are available over there.
Fender Twins have a lot of headroom. If you're looking for something with less headroom, distorts well etc. Look at a 1990 Fender Vibroverb RI (1963).
DSL is really the best option here. The combos aren't as good. I'd go for one of the older JCM2000 ones.
It'll do your clean sounds and your distortion tones equally well and you won't have to rely on pedals for your metal sounds like you would on a clean amp like the Fender.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by EddieHet
Mark V?

Would love one but I don't have that sort of cash ha ha.

Cheers for the suggestions I'll go check out the JCM DSL and play a few other things.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL

maybe an engl screamer? might be a bit over, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd consider a JSX.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Dave_Mc
maybe an engl screamer? might be a bit over, though.

Can easily get one of those for less than 600.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
yeah used, but i didn't know if he was willing to go used
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?