In your opinion, what digital delay would you prefer? I am going for either the Boss DD-3 or the TC Electronic Flashback.

I prefer digital delays over analogue as they sound brighter.
TC is more versatile right out of the box, not to mention its Toneprint feature. Also has a 40sec looper too.

Im pretty happy with my Flashback.

The delays on the Line 6 M5 are also extremely nice, i think i might actually prefer them to the TC. Plus you get a shit tonne of other f/x.

However, the Boss is more durable than both of the above.

For home and recording use id recommend the Line 6.

If youre in a band that gigs a lot and likes to kick the shit out of your equipment, go for the Boss
I have tried the M5, it is a good effect but I would prefer the other 2. I think I would only use less than half a second of delay so I would not be using most of the TC features. Maybe I could use the Tap Tempo. Do you think it is worth the features or should I go for the more rugged DD-3.

I am going to use these for gigs. I take good care of my equipment but during a gig there is always risk of damage.
DD-7?

Got the tap tempo AND the indestructability

Theres the Line 6 Echo Park too. Looks more solid than the M5 and more versatile than the Boss offerings
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 10, 2014,
I'd go for the DD-series with an external tap tempo switch. DD-5 and upwards have that option IIRC.
I don't have experience with the TC, but the DD-7 is fantastic with the external tap tempo connected.
Line 6 is great, especially since they're relatively cheap used. I have DD-3 and Modtone analog delay and those have served me well, can't think of needing longer times although can't say that I don't like the depth of TC and other more expensive rack units better, but live difference is small.
Quote by LivinJoke84
DD-7?

Got the tap tempo AND the indestructability

Theres the Line 6 Echo Park too. Looks more solid than the M5 and more versatile than the Boss offerings

I prefer the sound of the DD-3 it is slightly brighter
Quote by Taz9
Strymon

Also this, given that budget is no issue. I'm really happy with my Timeline. Might be overkill though and seeing the question being about the DD and the Flashback, I assume the budget is lower than needed to get a Strymon pedal.
flashback
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)