I'm relatively new to bass, being primarily a guitar player.
I am looking for my first proper bass amp for gigging, currently using a peavy vyper guitar amp for practice which isnt ideal.

I was thinking of getting something like this
Peavey Tour TNT®115 600w 1x15" Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier|Allans Billy Hyde Price! $599.00 - Allans Billy Hyde. Australia's leading music store.
Its really cheap for its size so i thought it looked like a good deal

But I play bass in a metalcore band (think parkway drive style metalcore) and I want a bass tone thats not going to get neglected in the mix. Since most of the time I'm following the guitars (and if I'm not I have to play simpler stuff), I blend into the mix 90% of the time.
I wanna get a cutting, agressive bass tone that cuts through, even during monotonous low register chugging breakdowns and stuff
I play with both pick and fingers depending on the song.

For examples of what I mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeRWaIh5Hw#t=105 the *DING DING DING DING* part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db7LZd8F7YY#t=37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJd0Gsb4fT4

[youtubevid]fJQX4Ow2NHQ[/youtubevid]
I also like Alex Webster's tone but it probally wouldn't sound anything like the others when playing breakdowns and he only really cuts through when playing stuff different from the guitars

Could I acheive that tone with the amp I'm looking at buying?

My bass is pretty much this, it has active pickups
Used Ibanez SR370 4-String Electric Bass Guitar Brown Burst | Musician's Friend

I'm in Drop B using heavier .110 -.50 gauge strings
METAL!
Doesn't matter which amp you get so long as you have 10" speakers, just get a Sansamp Bass Driver.

I can recommend some amps in general if you have a budget.
I personally get my tone from my tiny little pedalboard, which has a Sansamp Bass Driver for my 'clean' base tone, a Darkglass B7K for my distortion, and a tuner.

The B7K is the big brother of the B3K, which is what Alex Webster supposedly uses. He admittedly scoops mids for album recordings which is why he's sometimes inaudible, but believe me this monster pedal cuts through even if you do scoop.

I'm running this into my Hartke LH500, through a Fender Rumble 4x10 cab. I can go straight to power-amp for 500watts of pure power, or use the amps natural sound which is pretty thick and spruce it up with just the B7K (via the Sansamp parallel out. Sansamp DI is what I always send to PA).

It was a reasonably cheap investment considering I can use this gear for any genre until it breaks on me, because it sounds good and is definitely versatile.

Do not buy that PVTNT. It does not have nearly the power you'll need and you can do much better for the money. Invest for the long term. You'll regret it later if you don't, and if you don't want to keep playing you can always sell your stuff for good money.

If you could buy only 1 thing I would buy the Sansamp Bass Driver and run it through the PA and the poweramp section of whatever amp you'll have available.

So to list my gear:
Ibanez SR505
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Sansamp Bass Driver
Darkglass B7K
Hartke LH500
Fender Rumble 4x10

The Hartke is a very honest, clear amp. What you put in is what comes out.

Also I use 45 - 105 strings for my G to E, with a 130 for B, which is soon to become a 150 for A.

EDIT: I just saw the TNT you're looking at is 600watts. Which is nice. But you do NOT want to lug around a bass combo. It will kill you.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Last edited by KoRnOnA6String at Jul 10, 2014,
My suggestion would be to maximize your rig by buying used.

Here in LA, I'd pick up a good used 8-ohm 4x10 cabinet with a tweeter. They run $250 or so all day long. A really good used bass head with 600-1200W RMS power will run about the same.

My initial setup was a used Bass Pod XT (yup, they have bass amp and cab modelers, and this one was about $80 used)) into a 1500W power amp (under $300 new from Carvin) into a used fEARful 15/6/1 (google it). At 8 ohms bridged mono, the power amp was putting out around 800W, which was perfect. When I added a second 15/6/1, the power amp was putting out 1500W into 4 ohms. The 15/6/1's weigh under 50 lbs but will come very close to putting an 8x10 on the trailer (two will *definitely* do it and more). You'll also want an HPF to roll off frequencies from 35Hz on down.Most bass cabinets won't reproduce them, but your amplifier will waste a lot of power trying. People who downtune their basses (which makes no sense, by the way) often complain that their basses sound flubby at the bottom end. This part of the reason why.

The key to your 'aggressive' tone and sitting in the mix, by the way, will be your ability to manage low mids. Do NOT scoop. Another key to your tone will be your arranging ability. With downtuned guitars sitting in the traditional bass region, you'll want to find YOUR space in the mix by being where they're not. In short, when they go low, you should go high. They crowd the bass region and you can't find space going below them, because you disappear into inaudibility. Your bass cabinet can't reproduce, and most ears can't hear it if you try to out-low them. You'll also want to go for clarity, rather than overdrive tones. Let the guitars live in the Too-Much-Gain world. You won't "un-heavy" the band by offering cleaner tones. You'll offer the mix better structure by doing that.
Downtuning a bass makes no sense? Elaborate?

Supporting the buy used argument btw.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Certainly try to buy used, but if you have difficulties in it like I do, don't feel bad. There isn't much of a music scene in my area, and good deals on used gear rarely comes up. Deals specifically on bass gear... you can almost forget about it.

One thing I have done, and it makes little sense to some people, but has worked for me is this: I buy just about anything that pops up on Craigslist that I can afford. People offering gear for trade in my area is common. If I have a spare amp or bass laying around, it can be good trade bait for a piece that I really want when it pops up.
Ibanez SR1200E
The 600-watt Peavey TKO is a good amplifier, but it is huge for a combo. I suggest you take a look at one and make sure you can haul it around before buying it. It will definitely do an aggressive metal tone, and you've got power to spare with that one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by KoRnOnA6String
Downtuning a bass makes no sense? Elaborate?

Um, yeah. I occasionally run into someone following his guitar-playing buddies in downtuning a bass. That's why I DID elaborate on it a bit in the post. Since you're already the bass, downtuning mostly just gets you into areas that most bass amps can't reproduce and that most people simply can't hear.
Quote by dspellman
Um, yeah. I occasionally run into someone following his guitar-playing buddies in downtuning a bass. That's why I DID elaborate on it a bit in the post. Since you're already the bass, downtuning mostly just gets you into areas that most bass amps can't reproduce and that most people simply can't hear.

The fundamentals of your lowest notes on a standard tuned bass are probably not being reproduced in most mixes, live or otherwise. You rely on psychoacoustics and harmonics to perceive the lowest notes on bass, most of the time. Downtuning doesn't change this.

Just listen to some Yves Carbonne if you want to hear some killer sounding low notes on a bass guitar.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
The fundamentals of your lowest notes on a standard tuned bass are probably not being reproduced in most mixes, live or otherwise. You rely on psychoacoustics and harmonics to perceive the lowest notes on bass, most of the time. Downtuning doesn't change this.

Just listen to some Yves Carbonne if you want to hear some killer sounding low notes on a bass guitar.

Having played classical pipe organ (both feet, heel and toe, on the pedals) and good grand pianos for years, I get this. Both of those actually produce the fundamentals as well.

As you note, there are specific *patterns* of harmonics that "indicate" the low note, even when fundamentals (and sometimes octaves of the fundamental) aren't being reproduced.

Yves plays a full-range sound as a solo instrument for the most part, his cabinets reproducing (as mine do) from 35Hz to 18Khz. His use of the sub-bass in his compositions is occasional and sophisticated.

That's not what we're talking about here, though <G>.

The OP is looking for an "aggressive" tone that will get him out of the mud produced by downtuned guitars. That isn't going to be accomplished by downtuning his bass, but by finding spots where the mud ain't.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 17, 2014,