So I just got a new guitar and I cannot get it to sound good on my amp. (Peavey VIP3) My old guitar which only has 1 pickup no volume or tone control and is overall incredibly cheap sounds better. I can't figure out the problem. The new guitar is distorted even on clean channels can't hold notes without cracking or fading, and overall sounds tinny I guess. It still has the stock strings on it and I'm wondering if that may be the problem. Any advice would be great
First off, what guitar did you get?

Did you get it new or used? Do you have sound samples?
Well I was trying to leave that part out cause I know what everyone will say but ok. It's a bc rich warbeast one brand new. And my old guitar Which sounds just fine is a bronze warlock I got 12 years ago. I don't have sound samples right now. If I could ever figure out how this over complicated amp works I could get a couple
Last edited by mustakrakish88 at Jul 10, 2014,
Set the volume and tone knobs at 10, replace the strings, and try again.

If it is distorted on clean channels then it may have a higher outbut bridge pickup than your previous guitar. Lower the gain on your amp.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Starcounter1
You might need to adjust the pickup heights. Try raising them up.

Not sure if that's the issue the bridge pickup which is the main one I use is damn near touching the strings. Could being too high have the same effect?
Yep!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by mustakrakish88
Not sure if that's the issue the bridge pickup which is the main one I use is damn near touching the strings. Could being too high have the same effect?

Yeah if it is too close you can get really muddy distorted sounds. Lower the pickup and check if that helps.

Are the pickups active or passive? if they are active chang the battery for a new one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Where did you buy it? Sounds to me like it might be a wiring problem with either a pickup or the output. Should be an easy fix, which should have been done at the store before it was sold. But some stores, particularly big box stores are notorious for selling guitars right out of their shipping boxes, without checking them or setting them up.
Quote by the_bi99man
Where did you buy it? Sounds to me like it might be a wiring problem with either a pickup or the output. Should be an easy fix, which should have been done at the store before it was sold. But some stores, particularly big box stores are notorious for selling guitars right out of their shipping boxes, without checking them or setting them up.

I got it from music farm it was still sealed in the box. I'm going to try some of the other suggestions this weekend and if I can't fix it I'll look at the wiring
What pickups are in it? Are they EMG's? if they are you may need a new 9v battery
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mustakrakish88
Well I was trying to leave that part out cause I know what everyone will say but ok. It's a bc rich warbeast one brand new. And my old guitar Which sounds just fine is a bronze warlock I got 12 years ago. I don't have sound samples right now. If I could ever figure out how this over complicated amp works I could get a couple

I'm not going to judge anyone for what they play man. I'm not a fan of them, but if you like them, do play them.

I have little to add to what has been said already, though. Lowering the pickups sounds like a viable option. I'd personally go back to the shop (given it's not a long drive) and demand a free set-up on it. A store shouldn't sell a badly set-up guitar.