This will be a pretty straight forward thread. I need help with choosing what guitar to back up my current main axe (Ibanez RG prestige model) for the downtuned songs.

I went to my local guitar shop and talked to one of the guys about my preferences, and they are:

- Fixed bridge: allow to tune the guitar up and down more easily.
- Have it setup for Drop C maybe (this can be discussed) which will allow me to play it pretty well from Eb standard tuning down to maybe drop B (?)
- These low tunings require a longer scale (I'm looking at the 26.5" ones. That's also the length of my current guitar)
- Pickups are somewhat arbitrary, but I have always been interested in trying out a pair of EMG's.
- It should be easy to tune it back and forth between different kinds of drop tunings and also hold the tuning pretty well (Is this possible?)

What guitars are available for me to look at given my preferences?

At the moment I'm interested in this one: Ibanez RGIX20FEQM-SBS (http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_rgix20feqm_sbs.htm?sid=4a4d17117007b34626c725849b3da905)

It is looking bad ass according to me and it has a fixed bridge, EMG's, 26.5" scale etc etc. What do you think of it? My budget is also pretty flexible but not more than maybe 800 euro. I guess I could stretch to 1000 euro if I'll get something extraordinary for that price. My only concern is that it is made in Indonesia and I've heard some bad things about those factories (I don't want this guitar to be significantly worse than my Prestige from Japan). How bad/good are they from Indonesia?

My goal is to play all kinds of hard rock and metal music that is downtuned (since I have my other guitar for everything in E standard). That includes, In Flames, Disturbed, Gojira, some Slayer songs, Metallica etc.

(Bonus question: what string gauge should I be looking at? Im considering the Earnie Ball Power Slinky (11-48) or the Skinny top Heavy bottom (10-52) or maybe even the Beefy Slinky (11-54). I use 10-46 on my RG Prestige)

Thanks for this awesome community!
Last edited by xaedon at Jul 10, 2014,
The Iron Label is a decent series, but with your budget you could likely get a used Prestige (which are made in japan). A used Ibanez RGA121 would be perfect for you.

Are you only looking for new, or are used guitars an option as well?
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
If you can't go used (for whatever reason) then I would look into the ESP LTD -1000 line. The EC-1000 or MH-1000 would both suit your needs well.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by cav22s
metallica plays in standard

They usually play Eb live. D standard on a few songs. St. Anger is Drop C.
Trying to get a single guitar to cover a range of tunings is dumb, in my opinion. You can do it, but you may be hurting the playability of the instrument.

But I'm also crazy about maintaining proper tension on my strings.

You'll need to constantly adjust intonation and maybe even the neck relief.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
ok thanks for the answers. The RGA121 truly looks like the perfect match. There can be some problems finding a seller to Sweden however.

The ESP LTD mh-1000 looks like a really nice guitar. Is it worth the extra money to get the Evertune model in that case?
Quote by Skeld1
They usually play Eb live. D standard on a few songs. St. Anger is Drop C.

St Anger count though?

Anyways, used RGA121 is always a great choice. The bridge will have a hard time handling anything above .56 or so strings. Ibanez also has new fixed bridge prestiges for under $1k US.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
St Anger count though?

Anyways, used RGA121 is always a great choice. The bridge will have a hard time handling anything above .56 or so strings. Ibanez also has new fixed bridge prestiges for under $1k US.

Ha ha...well it seems to be gaining acceptance, the title track in particular. It has sounded good live this summer.