Sup faggots. When i graduate university next spring, i'll be looking at packing my bags and moving somewhere far away from home. Have any of you done it before? What's hard about it and what should I, as a good ole Canadian boy, be wary of?

So far i think i've narrowed it down to either Denver or Austin. Can anybody shed some light on these locations or offer any other advice?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Make sure you have enough money so that if you crash and burn in the job market you can still move back home or whatever. Denver and Austin are both great places to live from what I've heard.
Only if I either got offered a really good job in a city I liked, or had like 10k+ saved incase I couldn't find a job for few months.
Austin should be pretty awesome. How can you just go to the US if you feel like it though?

Don't you need a visa for long term stay and work permit?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Austin should be pretty awesome. How can you just go to the US if you feel like it though?

Don't you need a visa for long term stay and work permit?

He could always just marry an illegal Mexican and get his green card. That works, right?
come to australia man

you can't go wrong!

well you could end up in Adelaide or something but that probably won't happen
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Austin is the hipster capital of the world. You couldn't pay me to move there.

Denver is really nice. But I know the only reason you want to move there is because pot is legal. Don't think that you will get even a halfway decent job without being drug tested.

I suggest you stay in Canada. We really don't like canuks here and besides you sound like a douche.
Yup I've done that and will be doing it again soon. Refreshing in a weird way but really make an effort to keep in touch with those you'll miss.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Smigzy

I suggest you stay in Canada. We really don't like canuks here and besides you sound like a douche.

This man is not afraid to speak the truth.
Everyone says these things about Austin, but I didn't really see it when I visited there. Maybe I need to be there longer, but it just seemed like a normal college town to me. I also was there during the winter, so that may have something to do with it. Still a cool place though.
You're gonna learn a lot about yourself, and it's gonna feel incredible. Starting over fresh is something that everyone should go through a few times.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
A couple of my friends really want to go to Austin for some reason.

Texas that is. Austin, Indiana is a shit hole lol.

I have some strange, inexplicable desire to live in Seattle someday. So I guess I'm in the same boat as you. If for some reason right now someone said I could get a good, steady job in Seattle I'd move immediately.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
A couple of my friends really want to go to Austin for some reason.

Texas that is. Austin, Indiana is a shit hole lol.

I have some strange, inexplicable desire to live in Seattle someday. So I guess I'm in the same boat as you. If for some reason right now someone said I could get a good, steady job in Seattle I'd move immediately.

Pacific northwest is a great area. My family up there refuses to live anywhere else.

It feels like Mt. Rainier is always watching everything you do though.
Quote by JayT44
You're gonna learn a lot about yourself, and it's gonna feel incredible. Starting over fresh is something that everyone should go through a few times.

starting over fresh was the worst thing to ever happen to me

Quote by Rossenrot
Pacific northwest is a great area. My family up there refuses to live anywhere else.

It feels like Mt. Rainier is always watching everything you do though.

That's okay by me though, I think.

I just like the idea of having many different types of nature in a close proximity. Mountains, forests, the ocean, Canada.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

He's obviously seen the light and wants less personal freedoms and more taxes.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I'm moving in to a caravan in my mate's mum's field by the end of the year (Y)
I wanna pack up my bags and move from Norwich and Essex to a fresh start in Cambridge. That'd be proper nice. Very daunting moving somewhere with zero friends though and I'm only moving somewhere if I can get a job there.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Save a good 2-3k to get on your feet in the new town. You can always skimp on food in terms of ramen, but be sure to have basic living expenses down. If you're always dirty and couch surfing people tend you view you as a parasite and it's harder to be taken seriously. No that's not fair but it's how the world works

I've moved from Chicago to Miami and am about to move again to Seattle. No contacts, no nothing, just picked up and moved.

I like that kind of thing. You have to be honest with yourself about how much effort you're going to put into networking in your new hometown. If you are good at that kind of thing, you can be on your feet relatively quick. The people that take a while to 'adjust' to new cities are usually the ones that have a hard time building bridges or just simply don't put themselves out there enough.

Another thing to consider is not only how big the scene is in the new town, but how many musicians are battling for the 'good' gigs? In Miami the scene is not that great but there are so few musicians that we all make pretty good money.
Quote by eGraham
He's obviously seen the light and wants less personal freedoms and more taxes.

Well if he wants that he should go to Quebec. Not the US
Check a climate graph before you move anywhere. My parents didnt and i had to grow up in a sweaty ass shithole desert, which as a Canadian, I imagine you would find terrible and want to kill yourself betwix the heat and the a/c bills.

Just saying, think long-term man.
I packed up and moved from Canada to the Caribbean 12 years ago. Went back to Canada last month, just can't understand how people can live there, and it was summer. Traffic, mosquitoes anywhere up north, expensive as hell and nothing to do really, too politically correct and cops everywhere being dicks. For those who live in the UK, that sucks more, but at least you can always get to an ocean.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 10, 2014,
Quote by Tempoe
I packed up and moved from Canada to the Caribbean 12 years ago. Went back to Canada last month, just can't understand how people can live there, and it was summer. Traffic, mosquitoes anywhere up north, expensive as hell and nothing to do really. For those who live in the UK, that sucks more, but at least you can always get to an ocean.

This is a good day at the seaside in the UK.

I love all the seaside spots in the UK. I lived in the IOW for a while, it's much sunnier there from what I remember, Brighton and Cornwall are cool too
I live 20 miles from Brighton, we get 3 good weeks of sun a year. We just finished up this years batch.
Quote by amsterdamankl
Check a climate graph before you move anywhere. My parents didnt and i had to grow up in a sweaty ass shithole desert, which as a Canadian, I imagine you would find terrible and want to kill yourself betwix the heat and the a/c bills.

Just saying, think long-term man.

First thing i did. I went looking for places to live in the south because i ****ing hate winter. That's one of the main reasons i want to leave lol, i don't belong in cold weather

I have dual citizenship so im not worried about all the paperwork and stuff. And yes, it's nice that ganj is legal in Colorado but that's a factor that's so far down the list it's negligible
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by MinterMan22
starting over fresh was the worst thing to ever happen to me

Please elaborate.
Quote by GrandeAcure
Please elaborate.

went from a place where i was loved and had shit going for me to a totally new place where i unintentionally burned all of my bridges (outside of my now distant family) and haven't been able to recover mentally or create new ones

i may have worded that in a melodramatic fashion or whatever but yeah, it's been a rough time :-0

I don't think I like your tone, so I will not answer this, Ace.

also I'm still living with my dad so I wouldn't know
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I did that a couple years ago, first few weeks just felt odd since I didn't know the area or anyone out here. After finding a job and making new friends it's turned out pretty nice.
I have done it before and the hardest thing is being far away from friends and family. On the other hand I had a great time and met a lot of good people. I also had a place to crash which gave me time to find a job. If I were you I would have a plan before just packing up and leaving.