Budget of 500-1k. This is for my daughter, looking for a cutaway.

There's so many opinions, ultimately the decision will come down to playing and deciding what sounds best.

I'm inclined to go for a 114CE. But ppl say don't go name brand lower end, they say go high end takime, yamaha or seagul.

Hands down for 1k do you want all solid wood?
For a grand I would want solid wood

If laminate doesn't put you off in general though, have a look at the Martin Dx1. It's what I've got and sounds great. I've just put mine down to type this. Could be looking at £400 used. Bargain
There are a ton of choices in that price range - I would suggest bringing your daughter to a guitar store and trying out some guitars - you may even find a higher-end used solid wood model for sale.
What is pleasing (sound and feel) to one person may not be (as much) to another.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
hmm... how old is she? how long has she been playing ? how tall is she? what types of music does she PREFER to listen to ?
the answers will dictate where to point you. of course the best answer will be to bring her to a reputable music shop where a GOOD/EXPERIENCED salesperson can guide her to what is right for her. if the salesperson starts directing you to say, Luna or Dean acoustics, ask for a different salesperson or find a better shop. it's something that she's spend a few years with and a crappy sounding/playing guitar will make her give up much faster. better to stay with one that sounds good and is easy playing. it's worth a few stops to different stores. it's not like buying overripe bananas at a store knowing that next week you'll just find some fresher ones so you can live with these for a short time.
in that price range, if it were me, I would go with Taylor's GS mini guitar. excellent tone, lots of volume for such a small guitar, very easily playable neck although you may need to have a minor setup done( shaving the saddle and nut a little to have the strings closer to the fretboard...almost every new guitar could use a setup. most are set way too high from the factory as the manufacturers don't know what your intent with it is. is much easier so lower it than it is to raise it back up). again, a good shop will be able to advise you if it's needed.
but as others have advised, a full solid wood guitar can be had in that price range that would potentially last her much longer.
if you play also, it would help make it easier as you have more of an idea about what tone is and how playability effects the enjoyment of playing. but I'm thinking that if your asking us, you don't play.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by boyd98
Budget of 500-1k. This is for my daughter, looking for a cutaway.

There's so many opinions, ultimately the decision will come down to playing and deciding what sounds best.

I'm inclined to go for a 114CE. But ppl say don't go name brand lower end, they say go high end takime, yamaha or seagul.

Hands down for 1k do you want all solid wood?
Yep Boyd, you should have filled us in way better on your daughter's age and experience before you asked this question.

With that said, is, "looking for a cutaway", any sort of clue?

FWIW, laminate back and sides together are normally the only option, other than all solid wood.

It doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense to offer them separately. The solid top is the biggest single improvement over all laminate.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 10, 2014,
There are certainly some good instruments in that range... And, there are laminates and there are laminates.
Both Martin and Taylor produce "laminate" guitars that are pretty far removed from "plywood".

The popular GS Mini is one such, and most folks rave about the sound. Only 500 bucks... And easy to play. But no cutaway. As noted, the utility of a cutaway is somewhat limited.
I own some fancy acoustic gear, but I have no prejudice whatsoever against laminate b&s, and my favourite guitar for fingerpicking is an all-laminate Maton M300.

We all have our own ideas about what sounds good, but a big plus for me for Taylor is that the neck is fully bolt-on, and can be reset in a few minutes with the aid of a couple of shims. This means that the instrument will potentially last for many decades without need for the kind of expensive maintenance that might not be cost-effective on other guitars in that price range, eg Martin, any Asian. Not so sure about Seagull, they used to have a bolton neck that was fairly easy to reset, but I read somewhere that they are now epoxy-jointed. So those lower-priced Taylors would be the first place I would be looking in that price range, no contest.
thanks fellas.

For those asking about my daughter, she's about 4' 10'' ; ten years old. She's been playing for about 2 years. Mostly is a strummer, she can play easy acoustic songs and sings.

She had a luna butterfly (looks were the factor in that choice, but now that she's taken to it, ill spend the extra). my wife dropped at the park during a handoff. We had a warranty, so no big deal (thankfully).

I don't really need electronics. Like the cutaway for two reasons. Little smaller body for her and I want to be able to use it and I already have a full dread.

Want something that she can grow with and have when she's 20, ect....
Quote by boyd98
....[ ]....I don't really need electronics. Like the cutaway for two reasons. Little smaller body for her and I want to be able to use it and I already have a full dread.....[ ]...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, (not true, I just said that for form's sake), but , "a dreadnought is a dreadnought, is a dreadnought", whether it has a cutaway or not.

The lower part of the upper upper bout that is removed in the cutaway models, never touches the players body in any way. The lower bout, body depth, and waist are identical, model for model by the same manufacturer. These are the factors that determine comfort for the player.

Arguably, the cutaway enables you to hit higher frets, but with an acoustic, the depth of the body and neck heel limit its utility to a certain extent.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 11, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, (not true, I just said that for form's sake), but , "a dreadnought is a dreadnought, is a dreadnought", whether it has a cutaway or not.

The lower part of the upper upper bout that is removed in the cutaway models, never touches the players body in any way. The lower bout, body depth, and waist are identical, model for model by the same manufacturer. These are the factors that determine comfort for the player.

Arguably, the cutaway enables you to hit higher frets, but with an acoustic, the depth of the body and neck heel limit its utility to a certain extent.

So your saying with a cutaway i can reach the higher frets?? Can you elaborate...
Quote by boyd98
So your saying with a cutaway i can reach the higher frets?? Can you elaborate...
Do I really need to? You have air next to the neck where you used to have guitar body. Your hand will go through air more easily than through wood.

The neck heel on an electric is perhaps half the depth of that on an acoustic. As a consequence, you must wrap your wrist way further under an acoustic to hit the highest frets. Besides, the neck on most electrics joins the body at higher frets as well

I really think you should pick up examples of both types of acoustics along with a typical electric, and work out the mechanics on your own.

I think your basic plan is a bit flawed. Ten is a bit too young to believe a guitar bought for the girl today, will still fill her needs at 20.

Females complete most of their long bone growth by age 15, (way sooner than males), and 15 is the age I would seriously consider an investment in an instrument to be, (a bit more), "permanent".

Bear in mind if you are 6' 11" and your daughter takes after you, possibly a full sized instrument would be appropriate at her current age. If not, you shouldn't be looking at dreads. Probably an 0, or 00 size body might be a better fit.
Quote by boyd98
thanks fellas.

For those asking about my daughter, she's about 4' 10'' ; ten years old. She's been playing for about 2 years. Mostly is a strummer, she can play easy acoustic songs and sings.

She had a luna butterfly (looks were the factor in that choice, but now that she's taken to it, ill spend the extra). my wife dropped at the park during a handoff. We had a warranty, so no big deal (thankfully).

I don't really need electronics. Like the cutaway for two reasons. Little smaller body for her and I want to be able to use it and I already have a full dread.

Want something that she can grow with and have when she's 20, ect....

The Taylor GA size, 112 or 212, might be the go if they make them with a cutaway. Not too big, not too small. Having been to a guitar school where kids were taught on full-sized classicals, and watched those vids of Korean tiny tots playing classicals, I don't see the need for getting something very small.
Quote by Tony Done
The Taylor GA size, 112 or 212, might be the go if they make them with a cutaway. Not too big, not too small. Having been to a guitar school where kids were taught on full-sized classicals, and watched those vids of Korean tiny tots playing classicals, I don't see the need for getting something very small.
OK Tony, but "full size classical", is a bit of an oxymoron. I think that would be about a double O. Yes, no, maybe?

I think Taylor Swift plays a GS Taylor, but she's as tall as a model, and has been since her teens. Besides, now that shes really, really famous, it's a red Les Paul. Nowadays, she beez sprayin' dat FUD 'bout her exes around, 'lectric style!
Quote by Captaincranky
OK Tony, but "full size classical", is a bit of an oxymoron. I think that would be about a double O. Yes, no, maybe?

I think Taylor Swift plays a GS Taylor, but she's as tall as a model, and has been since her teens. Besides, now that shes really, really famous, it's a red Les Paul. Nowadays, she beez sprayin' dat FUD 'bout her exes around, 'lectric style!

True, it's about 00, and is the smallest size I think of as "full" in the modern context (post-19th century). Less than that is IMO parlor or travel. I owned a 1925 Martin 0-21 for a while. A killer tone in its own way, but I really prefer something a bit bigger, with more oomph in the bass, and less risk of boxiness.

I've played a few GS minis recently, and while many folks rave about them, my opinion is mixed, depending on the particular guitar and materials used.
Quote by Tony Done
True, it's about 00, and is the smallest size I think of as "full" in the modern context (post-19th century). Less than that is IMO parlor or travel. I owned a 1925 Martin 0-21 for a while. A killer tone in its own way, but I really prefer something a bit bigger, with more oomph in the bass, and less risk of boxiness.

I've played a few GS minis recently, and while many folks rave about them, my opinion is mixed, depending on the particular guitar and materials used.
I'm not advocating a "tiny" guitar for this girl. But I don't think a dreadnought is the ideal solution. They lack a waist, which tends to push the guitar further up under the player's arm. With a smaller player, the upper arm might be too close to horizontal. Which is why I'm suggesting something in the "orchestra" range.

Hell, in some ways a jumbo is more comfortable than a dread.

I'm still wondering what the girl's Luna was strung with, and how it was set up.

As for the Taylor Mini, I couldn't even speculate whether it is good, or just good because it say's "Taylor" on the headstock. Being left handed, my trips to the guitar stores aren't anywhere near as fun as they could be....
the GS mini would be a good choice. it does lack the cutaway but the upper frets are still reachable. I do love the mini. I travel a lot lately and use the mini as my travel guitar. actually, I have 3(or maybe more...but that's another story) different minis. spruce top, Mohogany top, and Engelmann spruce top. the back and side veneer is made of all different woods but the don't effect the overall tone. they are very easy playing, setup was not needed on any of them, they were perfect right out of the box. only the Engelmann needed a slight saddle lowering.
it is a great guitar and one that she could hole on to for many years to come. I've seen them being played by preofessionals. they even show up a lot on American idol and the voice.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
let your daughter pick her own guitar. after two years of playing, she'll know what tone, size, look and feel she wants, and that's going to make her enjoy playing more. what sounds best to you or to me may not be the guitar that makes her want to play. i suspect she won't want that $1000 all solid guitar - she may want another luna. if she does, i say get it for her.

btw, at her size, a full sized dread with a full scale may not be comfortable for her, and a taylor 114 is almost as large. and she may want her butterfly more than she wants a GS mini.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by stepchildusmc
....[ ].....I've seen them being played by professionals. they even show up a lot on American idol and the voice.
Ah ha, that's why I don't know anything about the Taylor Mini. I won't sit through a reality show, not even a musical one.

I do however, buy Carrie Underwood albums from time to time.

Quote by patticake
.....[ ]..... i suspect she won't want that $1000 all solid guitar - she may want another luna. if she does, i say get it for her.....[ ].....
Wow, after I read that, you could have knocked me over with a feather.......!

In any case, it has a preamp w/ 4 band EQ, so you should be able to tailor the sound pretty much however you like. Since I'm into the electronic bailout aspect of acoustic guitars anyway, I may buy one of these for myself. OK, I'm am kidding about that. I'll get the one with the phoenix instead. ( I think there's a lefty model, which of course, I can't find @M'sF)).

There calling this guitar a "folk" size. Which is more or less a lyrical way of saying, "00", is it not?
Quote by Captaincranky

I'm still wondering what the girl's Luna was strung with, and how it was set up.

As for the Taylor Mini, I couldn't even speculate whether it is good, or just good because it say's "Taylor" on the headstock. Being left handed, my trips to the guitar stores aren't anywhere near as fun as they could be....

I owned a Mini for a long time, in the hope the my young daughter would take up guitar. This one happened to have an unstable neck, and these were fixed under warranty in the US, but not here in Oz , so I sold it eventually. Anyway, the point is, IMO it is very good for what it is, a travel guitar, but it doesn't have the tonal capabilities to make if a "first" guitar. At that price point I would go for something bigger (inexpensive Asian) as an all-round guitar, no question.