Hi guys, this is my first post here so let me introduce myself. I'm 17 years old, intermediate guitarist, I own 2 guitars, an Epi LP standard an a Mockingbird ST. Then there's my amp. Roland Cube 15xl. I was happy 2 years ago when I just started playing, but now I have a band and we're planning on gigging as much as possible. Our keys guy just bought a keytar so he needs an amp, I am selling him my Cube. So now I need a replacement. I am doubting between the Blackstar HT-1R, Vox Lil' Night Train (new or second hand) and the Vox VT20+. Am I planning on taking the amps to a gig? Maybe, because most of the time there are amps at the gigs and at rehearsal there are also some amps and if not, there's always some mics and a PA, so basically more for pracitcing at home and maybe an occasional gig . The sound I'm looking for is the heavier side of GnR (You Could Be Mine-ish), Alter Bridge mixed with Pink Floyd and the ambience of Bring Me The Horizon. Don't say dual rectifier cause I can't afford it sadly. And also, since I'm still a teen, my musical taste can change so I want to keep that in mind too. So, can you guys help me out or recommend me an amp?
Last edited by lukcuturic97 at Jul 10, 2014,
Check out the Marshall DSL40c

If you like the lil night train atleast get the 15 watt version and even with that you will have no cleans playinh at band volumes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No way man, that's waaaaaay out of my price range... That's what's bothering me. But thanks anyway.
There's no doubt in my mind that the Lil Night train is the best of the three. I would just stay away from Blackstar, and I used to own a valvetronix, and it's a bad purchase (others might disagree).

However, you should leave your budget and the region where you live because some people here are really good to find deals !
Quote by lukcuturic97
No way man, that's waaaaaay out of my price range... That's what's bothering me. But thanks anyway.

Well where to you live? (country or closest city will do)
what is your budget?
are you willing to go used?
what is your current gear?
What types of tones/bands do you want from the amp?

Playing music is not a cheap endeavor especially if you want to play live. Now that being said, you can find some very good gear if you look used for a fraction of the new price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Does the Night Train have enough gain? I do have an EHX LPB-1 or would it be better to get an OD pedal with it?

@Robbgnarly
I live in The Netherlands, my budget is around €250-€300 max, am willing to go used, just caught my eye on a second hand Lil' Night Train, London City 50 watt all tube gain monster with master volume and an Orange Dark Terror head, my current gear is:
Guitars:
B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fx:
EHX LPB-1
Danelectro Fab Delay
The tones I'm looking for are pretty high gain tones, as I said heavier GnR with Alter Bridge and a Pink Floyd vibe with an ambient sound like Bring Me The Horizo have, so more of a modern sound.
Last edited by lukcuturic97 at Jul 10, 2014,
Quote by lukcuturic97
Does the Night Train have enough gain? I do have an EHX LPB-1 or would it be better to get an OD pedal with it?

It should, but it doesn't have enough headroom. If you can mic it it will work, but you will still need to be put through the monitors to be heard.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
300 euros is 408 dollars. that can get you some used Peavey stuff, like a VK212 or 6505 112. If you don't mind the risk, bugeras are less used, gives you a bit more financial cushioning.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 10, 2014,
look for a Jet City JCA2212 combo. www.thomann.de has them for your budget normally. Shoot them an e-mail and see when they will be back in stock.

It will do what youy need and sound good doing it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The JCA2212C is not being made anymore. But how about that Kustom Defender 5 watt thing, through an 1x12 with some pedals?
Quote by lukcuturic97
The JCA2212C is not being made anymore. But how about that Kustom Defender 5 watt thing, through an 1x12 with some pedals?

Your gonna need more wattage to play in a band.

The Defender (5 watter) does not get that much distortion at all, think classic rock at best.

Are you sure they are not being made, or are they just out of stock? I know in the USA it has gotten very hard to find them, but they dropped their distributer and are currently finding another. Maybe the same is happening in Europe?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't forget that the amp's main goal is being used for practicing at home, not as my go to gigging amp, so I won't be able to buy a tube amp without attenuator/master volume/both.
If you can strech your budget a little (sell some of the gear you don't need) this is €39 over your budget
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head_bundle.htm

If you have a 1x12 cab you can use, you can get either of these and they will work fine, the 50 watter will do cleans louder, the 22 should work though

www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

I never trust a backline, if your gonna gig, have your own equipment, or your gigging career will be very short lived.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 11, 2014,
Sorry to double post, but if you don't need a clean channel at all, the Orange Dark Terror should work fine for what you want, and it should beable to gig if your band is not extremely loud.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you can strech your budget a little (sell some of the gear you don't need) this is €39 over your budget
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head_bundle.htm

If you have a 1x12 cab you can use, you can get either of these and they will work fine, the 50 watter will do cleans louder, the 22 should work though

www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

I never trust a backline, if your gonna gig, have your own equipment, or your gigging career will be very short lived.

That's really good advice.

The Jet City's a really nice amp.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by lukcuturic97
Been thinking about the terror and this:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/vox_v110nt.htm

Get this cab instead, it has a 12" speaker and it is a Celestion V30 which come stock in the Orange cabs. The speaker alone is almost the same price.
www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

that will also be a gigable rig for what you do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just found one used, contacted both the Orange and cab owners. Now just wait till my cube gets sold...
what cab?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by lukcuturic97
The harley benton one with v30's.

That and the terror will sound nice and you can use it with your band.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's the house brand if I remember correctly. I have heard some decent things about the Fame stuff, but the number one thing I'd be concerned about is QC. Even if they sound decent, if they break on me after 20 minutes of jamming I don't wan anything to do with it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Never played the Diavlo series, but the reviews are positive. I'd try for the Orange if I were you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay so I am bringing up this topic since I don't want to open a new one. I did not sell the Cube and I don't have a new amp. I did a bit of research and testing and I found out I simply adore both the Jim Root Terror and the Dark Terror, so I'm saving up for one of them. Will buy second hand though, because I have to use lots of my student grant untill I find a job... But I also decided to keep the Cube because of the clean channel, so I'll a/b it and maybe mod it one time to have a speaker out. My total plan was to have it like this:
Guitar -> Tuner -> Octaver (what's the best sub-100 octaver? As long as it goes down 1 octave I'm fine) -> LPB-1 (is this good for boosting the terrors without it getting muddy? It sounds good on the clean Cube though) -> EHX Passive A/B/Y
A "channel" = Fab Delay -> Behringer DR600 in/output A -> Clean Cube
B "channel" = Orange Terror, f/x loop: (another) LPB-1 for clean boosts -> another delay -> DR600 in/output B.
I'll also buy a 2x12 for the Orange.
I'm planning on using this live by the way.
The only thing I'm not sure about is what octaver would be good and if it's better to use an OD in front of the Orange instead of the LPB-1. If you could help me out and give me tips, that'd be great.
My gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST
Behringer TU300
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive V2
Ibanez WH10V2
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Danelectro Fab Delay
Behringer DR600
Blackstar HT-5
Last edited by lukcuturic97 at Jan 10, 2015,