I have a chance to buy a epiphone prophecy les paul ex that has emg 81/85. Im not familiar with emgs and was wondering if they are good for heavy blues like gary moore/ joe bonamassa and also classic rock etc? Thanks for any info i receive from you guys.
Your amp set up will make infinitely more difference than the pickups will. They both use very vintage styled all-tube Marshall amps, and in fact Bonamassa uses several amps at the same time, even live.

Your pickups will be much higher output than anything they use so less on the amp-end will get you closer but I do think everything else about your set up will make much more difference.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
They're not going to be too good. A good amp will certainly help them, but they're not very versatile pickups. The 81/85's are more suited to high gain.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by natelc1979
I have a chance to buy a epiphone prophecy les paul ex that has emg 81/85. Im not familiar with emgs and was wondering if they are good for heavy blues like gary moore/ joe bonamassa and also classic rock etc? Thanks for any info i receive from you guys.

Will a acoustic guitar be good for death metal? Similar predicament. New pickups are not that expensive though, and i'll take the 81/85's off you.
I'd suggest different pickups. In theory, you could dial on OK blues or classic rock tone. However, the EMG 81/85 combo is more suited for high gain genres.

As someone mentioned earlier, your amp settings will make the biggest difference, but for the best results, try something other than EMG 81/85. I don't know of any blues players that use active pickups.
Ive gotten pretty decent blues tones with emgs. Although I much prefer single coils for blues tones.. and incidentally I have emg single actives in my strat and they sound great
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Pretty much like everyone has said. My guitar has the 81/85 set, and I can get a good classic rock kind of tone if I dial it in on the amp. Works well enough if I need it to, but I usually play much heavier stuff. If I were getting a guitar specifically for that sound, I'd go for some Seymour Duncans.
Quote by BlackDeath92
I'd suggest different pickups. In theory, you could dial on OK blues or classic rock tone. However, the EMG 81/85 combo is more suited for high gain genres.

As someone mentioned earlier, your amp settings will make the biggest difference, but for the best results, try something other than EMG 81/85. I don't know of any blues players that use active pickups.

It can be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVuyJYTQcNw&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I swapped them around in my Jackson (85 in bridge, 81 in neck). To me the 85 is more versatile although it's a little bass heavy (which I like). I have to admit though with the medium gain stuff my Les Paul with passives does sound better.
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
as everyone's been saying, they'll work at a pinch but they're more aimed at the heavier stuff
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?