Ok, so my "research" has narrowed down the following amps. Since I live in canada, I have no acess to ANY of these amps in stores, so I'm restricted to research :

-Roland cube's

-peavey vypyr's

-jet city 20w

-blackstar ht's

-Randall RD5C Diavlo

-peavey bandit 112

-peavey envoy 110

-randal rg's

-marshall mg's

Details:

-I want an amp for post-grunge, metal, alternative/hard rock. Im looking for tones similar to slipknot, three days grace, metallica, system of a down but yet, something that can get red hot chili pepper tones. I dont have to nail on each of the tones, but tdg and slipknot are my higher priorities.

-budget is $400, but i guess i can go over by 100 bucks max

-Dont mind buying pedals, as long as the price for pedal and amp is less than $500

-Dont mind used. In fact, im GOING to buy a used

-amp is mainly for bedroom and recording. If i ever gig, it will never be larger than a school cafeteria

-My main intentions are to cover songs later on when I get more experienced.

-My guitar, which I will get later this year, will probably be an ibanez rg or epiphone les paul

Also, feel free to recommend me another amp you may like!
Thanks,
Last edited by Omar.riaz2 at Jul 10, 2014,
I don't know how much they sell it for there, though you might wanna look into the orange #4 terror.

If that's too expensive, than I'd get the high gain version of the Jet city 50w combo, or again, maybe 20w combo since I don't really know how much they go for there.

Roland cubes aren't bad considering their price, but you might wanna get something better.
Vypyr's are nice, but if you gotta buy one buy a vypyr tube.
Blackstar HTs sound bad imo, and they have all sorts of solid state trickery in the pre - nobody here would feel like suggesting them because of their shady marketing policies.
Marshall MGs plain suck, don't ever get one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A used Peavey valveking 1x12 or 2x12 would work just fine, you'd need a TS to boost it for some stuff, but it does have a nice clean channel

Or look for a used Peavey Ultra 1x12 or Peavey XXX super40 1x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
could you get a vypyr tube 60? they are very versatile. the sanpera foot pedal is great as well. should be in budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Spambot_2
I don't know how much they sell it for there, though you might wanna look into the orange #4 terror.

If that's too expensive, than I'd get the high gain version of the Jet city 50w combo, or again, maybe 20w combo since I don't really know how much they go for there.

Roland cubes aren't bad considering their price, but you might wanna get something better.
Vypyr's are nice, but if you gotta buy one buy a vypyr tube.
Blackstar HTs sound bad imo, and they have all sorts of solid state trickery in the pre - nobody here would feel like suggesting them because of their shady marketing policies.
Marshall MGs plain suck, don't ever get one.

Alright,thanks!

Quote by Robbgnarly
A used Peavey valveking 1x12 or 2x12 would work just fine, you'd need a TS to boost it for some stuff, but it does have a nice clean channel

Or look for a used Peavey Ultra 1x12 or Peavey XXX super40 1x12

I did look at these amps, and although they provide me with excellent tones, they are just too loud. 40w for tube is too much for home, and in that list, its the minimum wattage. I would have to turn down the volume by alot
Quote by trashedlostfdup
could you get a vypyr tube 60? they are very versatile. the sanpera foot pedal is great as well. should be in budget.

+1.

Or, if you happen to stumble across a Randall RM20, you can gradually add modules and it'll be 20 watts of whatever amp you want it to be.

Traynor makes some good amps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Omar.riaz2

I did look at these amps, and although they provide me with excellent tones, they are just too loud. 40w for tube is too much for home, and in that list, its the minimum wattage. I would have to turn down the volume by alot

And the problem with doing that is?

I came to recommend a Peavey XXX 112. Is there some reason why keeping the volume low is a problem?

Just to add, my VHT is 6W. Cranking it can keep up with a drummer, and is FAR too loud for bedroom playing. Wattage isn't linear, or a real measurement of volume. It's almost a separate issue.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 11, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
And the problem with doing that is?

I came to recommend a Peavey XXX 112. Is there some reason why keeping the volume low is a problem?

Just to add, my VHT is 6W. Cranking it can keep up with a drummer, and is FAR too loud for bedroom playing. Wattage isn't linear, or a real measurement of volume. It's almost a separate issue.

he speaketh thy truth.

you know what amp i play on at 3am? mesa mkiv. dial down the channel volume as well as the global master on ther amp, and it sounds better than any practice amp i have heard or owned.

some amps don't do quiet well (for example my splawns), but plenty of them do. amps that do well quiet are just built that way.

1 watt through a V30 is approximately 100 db. that is loud.

a 10 watt amp is only half as loud as a 100 amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The wattage of an amp doesn't tell how well it performs at low volumes. If you play alone, even a 5 watt amp is too loud if you crank it up.

My Laney VC30 is 30 watts and sounds just fine at low volumes.

I tried a 40 watt Marshall DSL401 combo and a 100 watt JCM2000 halfstack and both sounded pretty good at low volumes. Also, we have an ENGL Screamer 50 watt head at our band practice place and it sounds good at low volumes. A Marshall Vintage Modern (50 watts) on the other hand sounded really fizzy at low volume levels and I needed to have the volume at around 9 o'clock to make it sound good. And that's too loud for bedroom playing.

Some amps aren't that good at low volumes. But again, don't look at the wattage. Ask somebody that has some experience with the amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Wow, thank for the replies guys. Really helped me cuz I thought tube amps would always sound crappy when they aren't cranked.

Ill definatley look at peaveys more higher end stuff like 6505 and xxx.
Quote by Omar.riaz2
Alright,thanks!

Use the volume knob, ity was put there for a reason.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Vypyr tube or Ultra/XXX suggestion from me as well. Both very solid amps, both sound good at low volume
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Robbgnarly
Use the volume knob, ity was put there for a reason.

Yeah. If not cranking it up made it sound bad, why would there be a volume knob in the first place?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The wattage of an amp doesn't tell how well it performs at low volumes. If you play alone, even a 5 watt amp is too loud if you crank it up.

My Laney VC30 is 30 watts and sounds just fine at low volumes.

I tried a 40 watt Marshall DSL401 combo and a 100 watt JCM2000 halfstack and both sounded pretty good at low volumes. Also, we have an ENGL Screamer 50 watt head at our band practice place and it sounds good at low volumes. A Marshall Vintage Modern (50 watts) on the other hand sounded really fizzy at low volume levels and I needed to have the volume at around 9 o'clock to make it sound good. And that's too loud for bedroom playing.

Some amps aren't that good at low volumes. But again, don't look at the wattage. Ask somebody that has some experience with the amp.

I have a laney VC30 as well.

The tone is clean at low volumes yes and better than most amps. That being said it comes nowhere near the body, and breakup this amp does at higher volumes. The low end is also almost non-existant at low volumes. Also, you are never able to crank this particular amp's drive channel at low volume without a box, but that's also part of it's design.

I agree that more than enough tube amps sound better than a practice amp at lower volumes. That being said, if you never going to crank it I would personally feel annoyed if I'd only use half the potential when I payed full price.

For the same price you can get a modeler with close enough sound + a gazillion extra options.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 12, 2014,
^ I don't like the whole "potential" thing people talk about. If it sounds good, it sounds good. It doesn't matter if you are never going to use its "full potential". If there's an amp that sounds better than any amp out there but you decide not to buy it because you are only playing in bedroom and settle for a worse amp (because you can use its full potential), I would say that's just stupid.

You can't use any amp's full potential in your bedroom. That's the way it is. Things sound better at louder volumes. Any amp sounds better at a bit louder volumes.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Gee, thanks a ton everyone!

so now, ive added vypyr tube and triple xxx to the list. Any word on the blackstars? I heard a lot of good reviews on em for metal tones
Quote by xxdarrenxx

I agree that more than enough tube amps sound better than a practice amp at lower volumes. That being said, if you never going to crank it I would personally feel annoyed if I'd only use half the potential when I payed full price.

Unless you can play like malmsteen or guthrie govan you're only using your electric guitar to a fraction of its potential.

Have you considered taking up the triangle?

Also do you have any of your amp's knobs set anywhere below full whack? If you don't run all those gain and EQ and reverb knobs at 10 you're not using your amp to its full potential.

Do you play 24 hours a day? If not, not using it to its full potential.

Ok I'll stop beating the dead horse now. I think I've made my point.

Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ I don't like the whole "potential" thing people talk about. If it sounds good, it sounds good. It doesn't matter if you are never going to use its "full potential". If there's an amp that sounds better than any amp out there but you decide not to buy it because you are only playing in bedroom and settle for a worse amp (because you can use its full potential), I would say that's just stupid.

You can't use any amp's full potential in your bedroom. That's the way it is. Things sound better at louder volumes. Any amp sounds better at a bit louder volumes.

+1

My little vox mini3, which I bought for quieter playing (also for just jamming alongside my computer to make learning songs a little more fun) also sounds better turned up a bit. So you're not using it to its full potential either.

Plus you could make a pretty good argument that any amp you buy which sounds best for your particular situation actually *is* being used to its full potential.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The black stars are okay, but just okay. Not in the league with the peaveys
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
The black stars are okay, but just okay. Not in the league with the peaveys

+3.1415. they sound decent, but seem way overpriced for what you are getting. and then the opamps/clipping diodes don't make me happy being it was advertised as all tube.

peavey will likely cheaper, and will sound a ****ton better.

but really i wouldn't really ever recommend a blackstar to anybody with the exception to the Series 1 which i can't say because i haven't tried one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Where in Canada are you?

I'M in NB and we have everything but the peavys you listed.

id go for the Jet City myself but the cleans can be meh.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by MaggaraMarine

Quote by Dave_Mc

Plus you could make a pretty good argument that any amp you buy which sounds best for your particular situation actually *is* being used to its full potential.

+Infinity

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So you would buy a 3 course meal if you only like one thing and also pay for it all?

You would also pay for a 2 week vacation, But only go 1 day?

Okeys

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 14, 2014,
^ That is not relative because those things are consumables and dissipate after use. Amps are one time purchases with potential to last decades.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by xxdarrenxx
So you would buy a 3 course meal if you only like one thing and also pay for it all?

You would also pay for a 2 week vacation, But only go 1 day?

Okeys

No, it's more like a Strat with five pickup positions and you use only one of them.

Would you rather buy a single pickup guitar that soudns worse because you couldn't use the full potential of the Strat? You still have to pay for the extra pickups.

I don't think you pay for the volume only. If it sounds good, you pay for the good sound. I wouldn't buy a worse amp that costs the same as a better sounding amp just because of "potential". And as I said, you can't use almost any amp to its full potential in your bedroom.

And if an amp has many features and you don't like one of them and never use it, you aren't using your amp to its full potential. So why buy that amp? And what about EQ controls? You aren't really using your amp to its full potential, unless you use every position of your EQ controls.

So you would rahter buy a 1 watt amp that sounds worse than a 30 watt amp just because of "potential" even if they cost almost the same?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 14, 2014,
^ Agreed, exactly. If the only way to get that tone is to pay for something which has more thing which you'll never use, that's fair enough. If you only use the neck pickup on a strat, you kind of have to buy a strat with 3 pickups. Buying an esquire or a les paul junior in that instance would be the height of folly, because they don't have a neck pickup, even though they only have the one pickup.

Plus I mean plenty of people might buy a multi-channel amp and only use the one channel. Again, if that channel does exactly what you want and there are no cheaper single channel amps available which do it as well, that's absolutely fair enough.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
(a) So you would buy a 3 course meal if you only like one thing and also pay for it all?

(b) You would also pay for a 2 week vacation, But only go 1 day?

Okeys

(a) If it was the only way to get the one course I wanted (say if the course I wanted wasn't available a la carte), sure. I wouldn't buy a single course I hated, because that'd be an even bigger waste of money.

I've certainly paid for lunch before which was what I wanted when other food was available for free...

(b) Bit more of an extreme case, but again if it was somewhere I really wanted to go (say for a specific one-time only thing), and the only way to get on that day was to pay for two weeks, again I think I'd do it.

But I agree with what the others are saying- those things aren't analogous. At least the vacation one. At least the analogy I made was still guitar-related (and actually analogous, IMO).

EDIT: or at least, the second one (the hotel room) isn't analogous. I can't think of a real-world situation where that'd happen, and if it did it's going to be an extreme case (and if it's that extreme, as I said, it may well make sense to pay for the fortnight's stay even if you only need one night, if you need to be there for that one night badly enough and you have no other option).

The food one is analogous, but as I said, I'd be perfectly fine paying more to get what I want than to pay less for something I didn't want.

I've said before, and I'll say again- 10% of "Great!" is still pretty good. 100% of "Crap!" is still crap. I don't much see the point of getting the full potential of something which I don't like even at 100% of its potential. To me, *that's* the waste of money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 14, 2014,
Well I wouldn't recommend a worse amp, but do you think the low volume on quite some tube amps are worth that price.

Perhaps get back to my OP in regards to Magarra using the Laney VC30 as an example. I wouldn't pay 500 euros or so what I paid only for that low volume vc30 sound. I think I can get a nice pod for better sounds at those volumes.

My amp is currently at my parents place, but having it recorded in the past, depending offcourse on our relative point of view regarding low volume, I can say I got better tones both in recording as obvious live playing on volumes too loud to play at say 10pm.

The drive channel also feels thin at low volumes. Clean channel is nice, but to get it dynamic you need a bit of volume. Reverb also gets a better hit at higher volumes.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 14, 2014,
It depends. As you said, it depends on your definition of "low volume". For my own personal situation, for the stuff I play, and for my own preference, it's worth it. Other people in other situations, who play different stuff, or who have different preferences, may disagree.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
seriously its enough of this potential shit.

lets give OP his thread topic back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^^
My comment was in relation to OP... "main use bedroom playing and recording"

if you want to play at lower volumes and record as well, then I found for a few 100 euro's something like a pod would be the better choice.

I know I can be, to put it nicely be strong voiced in my opinion at times, but I'm not getting defensive for the sake off.

All I said is from own experience with recording, using amp's and VST's both at low and high volumes. The VC30 clean is pristine at low volumes, but the presence of headroom increases turned up and it just gets this extra sparkle and twang too good to give up.

I mean today I'm going for dinner at my parents actually, and I could record it, but I really cba to bring my gear just for this argument

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 15, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
seriously its enough of this potential shit.

lets give OP his thread topic back.

LOL, was waiting for someone to say this.

And yes, im over the whole potential thing. If i do find my amp sounds much better louder, ill just keep in mind that my parents will take it away if its too loud
another option is amplitube 3, ive been messing around with that. its great especially if you have an audio interface and studio monitors already. so customizable. and its pretty close to the vypyr sound quality wise.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A