Page 1 of 2
Hey all, got myself a nice little tube amp today in the form of an H&K Tubemeister 18 Combo. I needed a combo amp for a gig on Sunday with a jazzband so I went out and snagged this up. It nail's the jazz/blues/funk tones I want, and it fulfills my British metal and classic rock tones as well. For all other tones, I've got my POD.

So here's a little sound demo using the Red Box DI Out from my H&K into the Pods Mic input, into Pro Tools.

No post processing or anything of that nature, just the tones from the Red Box. Doesn't sound exactly like the amp, but it's good enough for my purposes. Didn't realize there were IR's for download until I already recorded this so I'll re do it later.

https://soundcloud.com/zacharyk/hk-demo

That's as good as it gets for now, tomorrow I'll record something better when I've got more time on my hands.

Here's some pics.

I'll also go more in depth in my review tomorrow, but I love the tones coming out of this thing. And it is ....ing loud for 18w
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
Hey all, got myself a nice little tube amp today in the form of an H&K Tubemeister 18 Combo.
Ahem...
Not really all tube, just so you know.

Though, it's nice to see people enjoying it for the sound other than for the lights.

Happy NAD man, have fun with it!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Ahem...
Not really all tube, just so you know.

Though, it's nice to see people enjoying it for the sound other than for the lights.

Happy NAD man, have fun with it!

I've been led to believe it's all tube...

But yes, I do thoroughly enjoy the tones. Once I can crank it I'll have a better idea of the sounds I can get.

I like the power soak function, being able to run it at 5w/1w is fantastic for practice.

I'll be putting it through it's paces this SUnday, but I'm sure it'll hold up

Quote by Ippon
Sweet! I'm waiting for a nicely-priced TubeMeister 36 ... so easy to dial and so light!

I wish I could have got the 3, but the 18 is pretty much perfect for what I need. I can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. THis is my first tube amp in almost a year since I got rid of my JSX. I've realized that a combo is better for me than a halfstack.

Also, nice gif, I love Ronda
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Last edited by Charvel1995 at Jul 10, 2014,
If you want to know for sure, open it up and look for op-amps. If it has more than one or two (depending on package size) they will be doing more than driving the FX loop, they'll be adding gain.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't see any real competition for Ronda, even with the new ones that Dana signed/planning to sign.

Agreed in full. Ronda's too good. Too bad Cyborg(Read Tito Ortiz not allowing her to fight) won't go against Ronda

Quote by Cathbard
If you want to know for sure, open it up and look for op-amps. If it has more than one or two (depending on package size) they will be doing more than driving the FX loop, they'll be adding gain.

HNAD

Thanks! Really loving it so far.

What's an op-amp look like? I'm not sure I know what you mean by an op-amp/

Regardless, I've missed tube tonez, so I'm glad to have them again ha
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Some are bigger, ie. longer with more pins. But not all packages that look like that are op-amps, you have to read the code written on it. An op-amp is a bunch of transistors in a single IC that function as an amplifier.
The term op-amp is short for operational amplifier. The "operational" part is talking about mathematical operations. They were initially used in analogue computers for performing actual mathematical operations like add, multiply, integrate, etc. Analogue computers may have gone the way of the dodo but op-amps survived performing other functions.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Congrats on the score! I have the 18 and the 36. Both sound great, although the 36 sounds better IMHO. I've done a lot of gigs with both, and they never disappoint me. They sound huge, at comfortable volumes.

There are OpAmps in the 18, but it still sounds great. If you enjoy the sound, who cares? Marshall used them in the Silver Jubilee (everyone thinks that amp is the holy grail too), and in most of the 900's.
Nobody said it's a bad thing, just a thing. We can't discuss the mechanics of an amp without people getting all butt hurt about it?
And btw, I think the Silver Jubilee is crap. The 30th anniversary one shit all over it - without clipping diodes. Had MIDI too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard, sorry to sound jumpy at your comment. Most of the times I've seen a thread about these amps, the diode comments start, and I hear how they don't sound like a tube amp. So again, my apologies....I've been drinking lol.

Ippon, I have no first have experience with the Grandmeister, although I'd love to. A friend of mine is raving about his, and shelved his DSL (which I think is a great amp) and JCM 800 for. I'd love to try it out. They seemed to have gotten what they started with the Switchblade series to really pan out with some big tone and dynamic.
No probs, man. I was trying to nip that bs in the bud, myself. I am actually very interested in how they do it from a purely academic standpoint. Well, I'm a tech; I'm interested in that type shit.
Nobody's ever posted a schematic or even a good photo of the guts. They're up to something, I'm thinking it's gonna be op-amps to boost the signal, but I'm not sure. Something's going on, there's too much gain for too few tubes. I've built more than a couple of 18W Marshalls which is what they're based on; I want to know how H&K have done it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
just to throw a few cents in.

i am sure you know that cath knows his shit. and he likes to know things. i have heard him asking before on tubemeister threads, and i think he is just curious, and not talking it down. he just wants to know for further advise for us and new members said.

having said that, i like the 36. never played an 18 though. demos online sound pretty good

OP HNAD
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What are the two chips, top centre? I can't read it. I'm guessing solid state relays of some sort.
Looks like the underside of some DIP's on the output board too. I'm guessing they are for the FX loop. Two on the input, just like I suspected. You can get a buttload of boost from a couple of dual op-amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 11, 2014,
the secret is out.

it doesn't matter really, it sounds good and does what you need it to do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by bish0p3473
Cathbard, sorry to sound jumpy at your comment. Most of the times I've seen a thread about these amps, the diode comments start, and I hear how they don't sound like a tube amp. So again, my apologies....I've been drinking lol.

Ippon, I have no first have experience with the Grandmeister, although I'd love to. A friend of mine is raving about his, and shelved his DSL (which I think is a great amp) and JCM 800 for. I'd love to try it out. They seemed to have gotten what they started with the Switchblade series to really pan out with some big tone and dynamic.

Interesting! I used to have the 100W head and currently have the 50W 112. I'm replacing the speaker with a V30 and need to find the footswitch.
Quote by bish0p3473
Congrats on the score! I have the 18 and the 36. Both sound great, although the 36 sounds better IMHO. I've done a lot of gigs with both, and they never disappoint me. They sound huge, at comfortable volumes.

There are OpAmps in the 18, but it still sounds great. If you enjoy the sound, who cares? Marshall used them in the Silver Jubilee (everyone thinks that amp is the holy grail too), and in most of the 900's.

The 36 was out of my price range sadly, but man the 18 sounds crushing. Still attempting to figure out how to load the Red Box Impulse Responses into Pro Tools though.. That's the next step. Tubez is tubez man. I dig he tube tone from this amp.

just to throw a few cents in. i am sure you know that cath knows his shit. and he likes to know things. i have heard him asking before on tubemeister threads, and i think he is just curious, and not talking it down. he just wants to know for further advise for us and new members said.

having said that, i like the 36. never played an 18 though. demos online sound pretty good OP HNAD

Thanks dude! Check the 18 out if you get a chance. H&K Definitely make some good amps
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Quote by Charvel1995
The 36 was out of my price range sadly, but man the 18 sounds crushing. Still attempting to figure out how to load the Red Box Impulse Responses into Pro Tools though.. That's the next step. Tubez is tubez man. I dig he tube tone from this amp.

Thanks dude! Check the 18 out if you get a chance. H&K Definitely make some good amps

I found the 36 used for $600. It took me a while of waiting for it to come along.
Quote by bish0p3473
I found the 36 used for $600. It took me a while of waiting for it to come along.

I needed mine by Sunday haha, sort of a last minute purchase

Really glad I got it though. I've wanted a H&K for a while now. GAS has been satisified.. For now
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Quote by bish0p3473
Hey Cathbard, do these help?

Could you snap one pic on the side by the input?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I got one myself when they first started to come out. It's a nifty little amp. Took me awhile to gain a liking to it, for me it was difficult to dial in a good tone, was easier after I put some decent tubes in it. Thing comes shipped with cheap chinese tubes. The gain boost does boost like a mofo though

Happy NAD!
Quote by ethan_hanus
I got one myself when they first started to come out. It's a nifty little amp. Took me awhile to gain a liking to it, for me it was difficult to dial in a good tone, was easier after I put some decent tubes in it. Thing comes shipped with cheap chinese tubes. The gain boost does boost like a mofo though

Happy NAD!

The gain boost is ridiculous. I was not expecting it to be THAT big of a boost, but I was proven wrong.

Sadly all I have is my Strat and my 8 String. Both of which have crappy stock pickups ad need some new strings and a setup. Once I get my main recording guitar I'll be able to dial in better tones.

Thanks
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Nice score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks. Yeah they are relays, as I suspected. I've seen enough to know what I am looking at really. Op-amp boosted 18W'er with a few extra features. I would like to see a full schematic to see how close the foundation actually is to a 1974X and how the boost is actually designed (ie. if there is some clipping involved as well like a Blackstar). A close up of the input circuit where those op-amps live may be enough to work that out, so that would be appreciated if possible.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Did you see the post I made in another thread where a tech guy on another forum put the blackstar on a scope and found the clipping was by and large actually coming from the preamp valve?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Did you see the post I made in another thread where a tech guy on another forum put the blackstar on a scope and found the clipping was by and large actually coming from the preamp valve?

Post the link in case Cath wants to incorporate the design to his tin amps.
I'll have to go hoking for it

Will post again when I find it.

EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32789443&postcount=39 (the link's in that post)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 12, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'll have to go hoking for it

Will post again when I find it.

EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32789443&postcount=39 (the link's in that post)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/18108/what-is-it-about-distortion-pedals-that-makes-them-sound-not-as-good-as-amps/p3

Maybe, the punk rocker in Cath will not GAF about the opamps bit. Imagine the Ramones bitching about not all tube, etc.

LOL

Don't get me wrong- this doesn't mean I'm letting BS off the hook or anything like that, they're still not all-tube even if the distortion is mainly coming from the preamp tube. But I don't want to post incorrect or unfair information, either, as that would make me as bad as them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They're still dodgey and if you crank up the gain it's diode clipping ala tubescreamer style. When you keep the drive down on a tubescreamer most of the distortion comes from the amp too. It's the same ****ing thing.

Ippon, I even use a tube rectifier on my cookie tin amps to keep everything true to the original design. You think I'm gonna add op-amps?
And yes, I think Johnny Ramone would be extremely pissed off if he discovered he'd been lied to. I saw a t-shirt I want that said. "Johny Ramones was a **** - but he played in an awesome band." He may not have cared too much about "true tube tone" but he certainly would have cracked it if he was being lied to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 12, 2014,
You don't know a lot about Johnny do you? He would have hunted the guys down and belted them (or sued them). He was a hard line right winger, unlike most other punks. He wouldn't have taken being lied to lying down from all I've read about him.
And btw - in fact he did play tube amps - JMP's and 2203's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They're still dodgey and if you crank up the gain it's diode clipping ala tubescreamer style. When you keep the drive down on a tubescreamer most of the distortion comes from the amp too. It's the same ****ing thing.

Yeah but he seemed to be saying that even with the gain up you couldn't hear the diode clipping, and he said he checked it on a scope.

I dunno, I mean this is getting way beyond my pay grade

Don't get me wrong, I still agree that they should be more upfront about the advertising (so does the guy who did that testing, fwiw, as far as I'm aware). And it's still a hybrid.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 13, 2014,
Well riddle me this, Batman; if you never get any diode clipping from those diodes in the NFB of that op-amp, why are they there? What is their purpose? Why isn't it just a resistor?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think the guy explained what they were doing in that link I posted.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2