One of my favorite kinds of metal to play is that rhythmic death metal Nile plays. Most of their songs are constant tremolo picking. its extremely hard for me to finish one of their songs. I have been playing for about a year and i my elbow just gets really tight and i cant tremolo smoothly or consistent. i have tried to hold the pick lightly and i dont how to relax when Im doing it. any suggestions? thanks
It gets easier with time. I also kinda cheat with it. Instead of picking as fast as possible, I just find a speed that works for that particular song and practice with it. I'll also practice it by tremolo picking a particular riff and speeding up and slowing down at will. Teaching my picking hand some control and not needing to pick more than what's necessary.

Just work at it for a few minutes every day and build some stamina. But don't focus on just that. You'll burn out. You definitely don't want to overexert yourself, and worse, injure yourself.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Use the Ramone method: learn to play Ramones studio albums. Once you have that down start playing along with live albums. Then switch to Mötorhead, and once you can do that try playing No Sleep Till Hammersmith.
Quote by jpnyc
Use the Ramone method: learn to play Ramones studio albums. Once you have that down start playing along with live albums. Then switch to Mötorhead, and once you can do that try playing No Sleep Till Hammersmith.

Johnny Ramone used all downpicking, not tremolo picking

TS I recommend practicing with a metronome and building up speed slowly over time
banned
Just keep it up. Build up stamina. It'll get easier. Eventually, you'll be able to tremelo pick almost indefinitely and hardly even feel it. Just autopilot.
Aside from just spending lots of time practising that style, you have to work a lot on relaxation. The tenser your arm, the harder you're working and the less stamina you'll have. Make sure every motion is small and efficient, with no extra force and no tension.