(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

Does the action seem high its seems hard to play barre chords but idk much when it come to mechanics Its a GCPA4 martin
Last edited by mattousley at Jul 11, 2014,
Quote by mattousley
...[ ]....Does the action seem high its seems hard to play barre chords but idk much when it come to mechanics Its a GCPA4 martin
Photobucket doesn't want to show me the pictures without issuing script permissions to every tracking service and advertiser on the planet, so a visual on the photos is out of the question.

Learn how to measure the action height for yourself. A set of mechanics, "feeler gauges" can be employed to do this.

Since those readings are in thousandths, I'm going to say .125" to about .110 on the bass side, and a bit lower on the treble side.

If you're coming from an electric background though, expect your complaints about, "difficult fretting", to fall on pretty deaf ears.

here's a great setup guide: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

YouTube I'm told, also has some decent tutorials.
Quote by Captaincranky
Photobucket doesn't want to show me the pictures without issuing script permissions to every tracking service and advertiser on the planet, so a visual on the photos is out of the question.

Learn how to measure the action height for yourself. A set of mechanics, "feeler gauges" can be employed to do this.

Since those readings are in thousandths, I'm going to say .125" to about .110 on the bass side, and a bit lower on the treble side.

If you're coming from an electric background though, expect your complaints about, "difficult fretting", to fall on pretty deaf ears.

here's a great setup guide: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

YouTube I'm told, also has some decent tutorials.

in the pic i have a ruler but on the mm side its on the 3 third mark up
Quote by mattousley
in the pic i have a ruler but on the mm side its on the 3 third mark up
Unless you understand script blocking extensions part of my my answer isn't going to make much sense. Sorry.

OK, first you're going to be measuring at the 14th fret, from the TOP of the fret, to the BOTTOM of the string

With that out of the way, there are 25.4 millimeters in an inch. So 3.0 mm, would be just a touch shy of 1/8" (.125). Not as low as you could go, but certainly usable. Figure with an average to good fret job 2.7 to 2.8 mm should be doable. Much past that and you're liable to be chasing buzzes up and down the fret board.

There is a specific sequence you need to follow in order to properly setup an acoustic guitar. 1: Neck relief 2: Action height 3: Top nut string to fret board clearance. With maybe a few operations on the frets in between. But, that's only if we're dealing in absolutes.

Note too, you absolutely do not get a do over, if you screw up when filing the grooves in the top nut deeper. Those string clearances are what make that nasty old F barre chord so difficult to play. But, it's hard to play anyway, even with the grooves at the right depth, and that's where the temptation to groove the nut too deep sets in. Be warned.

I linked a setup guide about 3 times tonight. It should be near the top of those threads.

Oh, what the hell: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 11, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
Unless you understand script blocking extensions part of my my answer isn't going to make much sense. Sorry.

With that out of the way, there are 25.4 millimeters in an inch. So 3.0 mm, would be just a touch shy of 1/8" (.125). Not as low as you could go, but certainly usable. Figure with an average to good fret job 2.7 to 2.8 mm should be doable. Much past that and you're liable to be chasing buzzes up and down the fret board.

There is a specific sequence you need to follow in order to properly setup an acoustic guitar. 1: Neck relief 2: Action height 3: Top nut string to fret board clearance. With maybe a few operations on the frets in between. But, that's only if we're dealing in absolutes.

Note too, you absolutely do not get a do over, if you screw up when filing the grooves in the top nut deeper. Those string clearances are what make that nasty old F barre chord so difficult to play. But, it's hard to play anyway, even with the grooves at the right depth, and that's where the temptation to groove the nut too deep sets in. Be warned.

I linked a setup guide about 3 times tonight. It should be near the top of those threads.

Oh, what the hell: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

ok thanks alot yu were a big help
Quote by mattousley
ok thanks alot yu were a big help
OK,you're quite welcome. I tweaked my post a bit, apparently after you quoted me, if you're interested, check for a couple of added details..
For your convenience:

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Picture 3:
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Picture number 2, which should be the most revealing is taken from an angle that was too high.

Accordingly, (to me at least), a fair amount of parallax error has beer introduced, rendering the measurement inaccurate.

I think the strings are slightly higher than they appear on the ruler.

This might sound nitpicking or stupid, but the optical center of the lens needs to be centered at the midpoint between the string bottom, and the fret crown.

Basically, in the pictures without the ruler, the strings appear to be slightly higher than the distance at which they appear to be measured.

IMHO, it's easier to get an accurate measurement with a set of feeler gauges.

Your results, and other opinions may of course, vary.
looks a tad high. 3mm would be optimum. it's easy enough to loosen the strings, remove the saddle and sand it down in small increments. it'll probably take 4-5 times but it's better than sanding down too much at once.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Looks a little high to me, the thing is are you comfortable playing? If you want to lower the action go ahead the only thing you need to make sure is that your strings shouldn't be buzzing.

I believe the guitar in your picture is an acoustic, you can get away with a much lower action on an electric guitar but be careful with acoustics!
Last edited by TalalK at Jul 18, 2014,