Just looking for opinions from people who are actively searching for new music. Is a 21 track album a bad idea?

I have about 9 songs that don't really relate to the others and I was thinking of splitting up those 9 into an EP instead of using them for my album.

Is a 21 track album pushing peoples patience too far? I never cared about having a concept album but I realized 12 songs are conspiracy and political based, the other 9 are just about life experiences.

So what would you do? Just let it all flow into a 21 track album? I get the feeling like nobody would commit to those 21 tracks.. or maybe it is innovative. You tell me.
Depends how long the songs are. Double albums can be quite common (see Biffy Clyro, Pink Floyd, RHCP) but there is usually a lot of filler. 21 great songs on an album may be good but most people would get bored if there are any filler tracks. I'd rather be left wanting more from a short EP than weary by a long album with loads of filler.
If the tracks are all 2-3 minutes, yes.

If the tracks are all 10 minutes, maybe not.

Don't worry about how many songs are on the album, focus on the flow of the album. If it doesn't need those extra 9 songs, don't use them. Save them for another album that they fit better with.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It'd have to be special. I just enjoyed listening to The Who Sell Out (CD) which has weird filler pseudo radio ad tracks etc.

In your case there are clearly two separate concepts, so separate 12 & 9 is probably the way to go.
90% of the albums I have with that many songs are hip-hop albums with skits/interludes in them. I am cool with that. An album with over 20 actual songs better have 20 really good songs.

Actually read OP edit: I'd say make the nine songs their own separate release. They could be great on their own, but hinder the album if they don't fit.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 11, 2014,
I only listen to entire albums, so yes I do.

I listened to that Melloncollie and the Inifinite Sadness even. and that's both long and terrible

didn't release it was 28 songs when I started, but when I had heard like 12 songs I was reading a review of it and people were talking about song titles I hadn't seen yet, so I scrooled down further in spotify and lo and behold. Another 14 traks of absolute garbage

it was a greater afternoon.

With that said, any album above 45 mins is pushing it for me. I lose interest, I forget the passion/dynamic of the album and I'd argue that it requires SO much more for a 50-60 minute long album to blow me away than a 35-45ish needs.

The longest album that I still absolutely love is London Calling, but that's got short tracks and great intensity.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jul 11, 2014,
I would and have listened to albums with over 20 tracks, but they have to work. Don't tack on extra tracks if they don't flow well with the rest of the album because it will make it feel bloated.

I'd rather have a short powerful album with songs that connect well than a long bloated one.
All depends on the album. I'd keep the 9 that aren't related, and put them out as a separate release.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
28 x 1 minute songs.

sounds promising if you are making grind or hc

Quote by JohnnyGenzale

With that said, any album above 45 mins is pushing it for me. I lose interest, I forget the passion/dynamic of the album and I'd argue that it requires SO much more for a 50-60 minute long album to blow me away than a 35-45ish needs.

The longest album that I still absolutely love is London Calling, but that's got short tracks and great intensity.

45min+ albums are more practical for me, as I tend to put an album on at the start of my journey to work, and that takes 1hr. It's annoying to have to change to a new album, to only hear the first few tracks and then have to turn it stop.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
28 x 1 minute songs.

sounds promising if you are making grind or hc

45min+ albums are more practical for me, as I tend to put an album on at the start of my journey to work, and that takes 1hr. It's annoying to have to change to a new album, to only hear the first few tracks and then have to turn it stop.

ah, that's true. but I'm usually sat in my sofa/bed when I listen to an album and I find I lose interest unintentionally after 40ish minutes or something.
I listen to a lot of anime soundtracks, which tend to have around 50 tracks on them, but for band music I tend to stay away from unusually long albums.

I listen to full albums at a time, and wouldn't have the patience to sit through a 21 song album. Unless the songs were like 2 minutes long each, and to make 21 2-minute songs that i'd actually enjoy, you'd have to be someone like Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Though recently i've just been listening mainly to singles; only like two songs per album.
Unless you play noise/grind/crust etc do not put that many tracks. Maybe 5 of them will be good the rest will be filler.
the album would need to be dynamic.

example: Symphony X's double album Iconoclast contains some really kickass songs. but because so many of them have the same ups and downs, the songs all felt too similar and i found the album as a whole to be somewhat boring.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
From a business standpoint (if you think your music will sell) putting them all on one is a bad idea. Split it up, more money for you.
I think the only double album I have listened to the whole way through on multiple occasions is Stadium Arcadium. All the songs on there do something unique for me I think. I also think Stadium was probably John's baby, even though he probably shined the most on By The Way as well.
Well The Microphones have an album called The Glow Pt2 that's 20 songs and I really enjoyed it. It has a lot of short interludes.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I think it's important to remember that we really can't compare ourselves (amateur musicians) to professionnal musicians that have the backing of huge marketing companies.

When you release something, you'll make an announcement on facebook or whatever, some people will click to listen to two or three tracks and then move on. Very few people will be going back to listen again or listen to the whole thing.

They might click on it whenever it pops up in their feed but they're not going back to it.

The lesson my band and I are taking from this is that it's better to have more releases with fewer songs so that our band is always active on other peoples feeds with different things.

When you are a big name band with millions of dollars going into promotion, then you can afford to have a big album with many songs on it. But for now, I think it's better to stay fresh with new material, even if its not loaded with songs.

Do an exercise, go look at the statistics for one of your albums on bandcamp. The first song will be listened to the most, the second song the second most and so one and so forth. The last song will be the one listened to the least.

Important question though, how many physical copies of this album are you pressing? Like on CDs or DVDs or whatever
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Anything over 40 mins is worthless

**** that, I hate when you're driving and have to continually change CD's because they are too short
Quote by Jmoarguitar
**** that, I hate when you're driving and have to continually change CD's because they are too short

one of my favorite albums is twenty songs but it's only 35 minutes long or so.

you should pick your favorites and release those and trash the rest.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Jmoarguitar

what's a cd?

get a vinyl player to your car m8
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Well The Microphones have an album called The Glow Pt2 that's 20 songs and I really enjoyed it. It has a lot of short interludes.

YES!

long albums can work exceptionally well. but i agree with the business argument
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
How long would the songs be? 21 tracks at nine minutes is vastly different than 21 tracks at four or two minutes.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0