Page 1 of 2
So me and two other friends are looking to live in this townhouse. We don't have it yet, and I may be jinxing myself by making this thread, but oh well. The rent is $2,250 a month total. So if you split that by 3, it's 750 a person, not including utilities but we'll ignore that for now.

The thing is, one person would be getting a master bedroom with his own bathroom in the room, and the room is obviously nicer/bigger. The other two people would share a bathroom and their rooms would be smaller. My one roommate already suggested he would like to take the master and pay more and we're all fine with that. However, i'm having trouble deciding how much more he should pay.

What would be a reasonable split considering he's getting the master? I was thinking he would pay 800/month and me and the other roommate would pay 725. What do you think?
That is quite an expensive apartment you have there. Just calculate how much more area he has in his space than you guys and the relative difference can be worked out in the rent.than

Example if your total area is 100. Common area 50. Then you guys split half the rent over the three of you.

Then if his space is 30 and you guys get 10. Let him pay 60% of what is left
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jul 11, 2014,
Just split it even, but make the guy who has the master bedroom buy beer to you every weekend.

That sounds fair to me.

Drink beer. Get laid.

Repeat.
You should split it proportionally. That is fair. I know some mates and some people pay less for smaller rooms with single beds compared to larger rooms with double beds. That is fair.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You should split it proportionally. That is fair. I know some mates and some people pay less for smaller rooms with single beds compared to larger rooms with double beds. That is fair.

Guys with singel beds dosent get any poontang.
Quote by Neo Evil11
That is quite an expensive apartment you have there. Just calculate how much more area he has in his space than you guys and the relative difference can be worked out in the rent.than

Example if your total area is 100. Common area 50. Then you guys split half the rent over the three of you.

Then if his space is 30 and you guys get 10. Let him pay 60% of what is left

Thats a good idea, although I don't exactly know how much bigger his room is. But that's something we could probably look into
Quote by chev311e
So me and two other friends are looking to live in this townhouse. We don't have it yet, and I may be jinxing myself by making this thread, but oh well. The rent is $2,250 a month total. So if you split that by 3, it's 750 a person, not including utilities but we'll ignore that for now.

The thing is, one person would be getting a master bedroom with his own bathroom in the room, and the room is obviously nicer/bigger. The other two people would share a bathroom and their rooms would be smaller. My one roommate already suggested he would like to take the master and pay more and we're all fine with that. However, i'm having trouble deciding how much more he should pay.

What would be a reasonable split considering he's getting the master? I was thinking he would pay 800/month and me and the other roommate would pay 725. What do you think?

So.... that guy just lives in a big bathroom with a bed in it?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Pretty sure he means an en suite, and I'm pretty sure you know that's what he means as well

I assume that's what he means, but that's not what he's telling us!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
I assume that's what he means, but that's not what he's telling us!

You never know, there might be a shitter next to the bed or something.
Split the rent equally and just have them pay for the internet or heat or whatever to make up for it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You never know, there might be a shitter next to the bed or something.

That's a prison cell.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Pretty sure he means an en suite, and I'm pretty sure you know that's what he means as well

I wouldn't be so hasty, we're looking at a new house and we found one with a shower in the corner of the bedroom.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

i wouldn't wanna be getting into anything where it's not equal

in my house one girl had a single room, half the size of the rest of us and she paid the same with no issues. inequality in the house is begging for problems
Quote by willT08
i wouldn't wanna be getting into anything where it's not equal

in my house one girl had a single room, half the size of the rest of us and she paid the same with no issues. inequality in the house is begging for problems
I don't understand your argument. Surely it would have been better if the girl had paid less. Inequality in the rent if it goes with some people having a larger room is much better than people with a small room paying as much as people with a massive room.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
You have to pay rent even if the owner is in jail or if you rolled a double. That's the rules.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's disappointing, even by third world country standards.

Wet rooms are where it's at. Wet rooms and bidets.

I've only ever been in a house with a bidet once. I was about 4, and had no idea why they had this tiny, shallow sink.
I once took a shit in a bidet when I was in a hotel on holiday, and got back to the hotel room utterly wankered.

My mates were not impressed when they got up in the morning to shower.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Yeah, the only way to work this out fairly is measuring the area that each of you have and you pay that percentage of the rent. You're lucky that only one person really wants the big bedroom and is willing to pay more, so it becomes really simple to figure out who gets what and how much they pay.
Quote by metacarpi
I once took a shit in a bidet when I was in a hotel on holiday, and got back to the hotel room utterly wankered.

My mates were not impressed when they got up in the morning to shower.

i think the difference should be $100
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Calculate percentage of square feet and then have him pay additional utilities to make up for his own bathroom. Like, he would pay half water instead of one third.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
wtf? 5 bathrooms? Does every single bedroom have an en suite?

Master bedroom has 1
2 bedrooms on top floor each have a full bathroom
1 full bathroom on main floor
1 full bathroom in the basement
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
And you pay $1000/month? Christ.

One of the perks of living in a small town.
Quote by Wormholes
Jesus your heating/water bill is going to be insane.

You would think so, but not really.
$2250 x 12 = $27,000.
x 24 = $54,000
x 36 = $81,000

Yikes! That's a lot of money for rent. If this is anything more than just a fun summer splurge for a few months you guys should consider having all that money go toward buying your own place. Even if you have no intention of living there for any length of time at least you would get some return on that big pile of money.
all of you saying that $750 a month is expensive is making me depressed. in my area, that might be considered cheap. and if you're not a student, it'd be dirt cheap.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
all of you saying that $750 a month is expensive is making me depressed. in my area, that might be considered cheap. and if you're not a student, it'd be dirt cheap.

2250 is expensive. 750 not, but it is 750 when you are sharing it with 2 others, which sucks really.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

i think its the >2,000 figure people are taking issue with
That's a fairly normal price if you are living in a large metropolitan area (think DC, NYC, Boston) on the east coast. Cheapest I ever paid, with two roommates, is 800 a month. Unless you live in a run down place, take on more roommates, or live a good distance outside the city, that is about is as good as you'll find. Location drives price more than anything.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Last edited by Led man32 at Jul 11, 2014,
Wow all this talk and I think I got like 3 answers lol I'm just gonna answer everything all at once. I'm living in Silver Spring, MD. about 5 minutes from downtown. Yes, we saw some cheaper places, but this place is by far the nicest and the area is really pretty considering most places around here. It is definitely the tip of what I think I can afford, but I'm willing to do it considering the place and these two people I'm living with are about the only two I'd consider rooming with.

@Thrill, there were definitely some places we saw where rent was really cheap, but damn,$1000 split between the 5 of you? That's crazy. I know you live in MD, but I guess not near the city because it is more expensive here.

@Will, I understand where you're coming from. But the guy taking the master is completely down to pay more, but it's gonna be hard to find that right value without getting in some sort of argument, especially when he's my best friend.

@Vitor, I like that idea, but I can't imagine he'll be down to pay 225 more a month.

I think I'm gonna suggest he pay 820 and we pay 715.
Personally, if you know the square footage of the rooms, I would do it that way. Although, that could create a situation where all three of you pay different amounts since I am guessing the smaller rooms are not exactly equal in size.

Also, the idea someone had about splitting the utilities differently is just silly. It's not like having your own bathroom makes you poop more, or shower more often.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by chev311e
Wow all this talk and I think I got like 3 answers lol I'm just gonna answer everything all at once. I'm living in Silver Spring, MD. about 5 minutes from downtown. Yes, we saw some cheaper places, but this place is by far the nicest and the area is really pretty considering most places around here. It is definitely the tip of what I think I can afford, but I'm willing to do it considering the place and these two people I'm living with are about the only two I'd consider rooming with.

@Thrill, there were definitely some places we saw where rent was really cheap, but damn,$1000 split between the 5 of you? That's crazy. I know you live in MD, but I guess not near the city because it is more expensive here.

@Will, I understand where you're coming from. But the guy taking the master is completely down to pay more, but it's gonna be hard to find that right value without getting in some sort of argument, especially when he's my best friend.

@Vitor, I like that idea, but I can't imagine he'll be down to pay 225 more a month.

I think I'm gonna suggest he pay 820 and we pay 715.

Why is the square footage thing not an option? It's obvious and way more fair that arbitrarily picking numbers.
Page 1 of 2