Just wondering on people's personal perspectives on what changing keys mean to them. As in, please give an example of a key change either you made or someone else made and how it made you feel. What was the motive/effect it had on you. Hopefully the more different keys and jumps between related and unrelated keys will lead to an interesting discussion. Thanks.
I think it's a great way to give more energy to a piece and just make things more interesting.

The link in my signature has a key change at 0:30, 0:55 and 1:30. It changes from major to minor and then back, but I think the fact that it modulates up makes the minor part a bit less depressing. I had some trouble getting back to the original key at 0:55 first, but I think that descending flute+oboe melody works quite well. It's like a bridge between the two keys.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Jul 11, 2014,
My reasons for key changes:

To maintain listeners' interest
To mark a change in the song
If the chord progression leads to it naturally

I generally dislike the effect in pop songs, so it's a very rare technique for me to use. Especially awful are those Eurovision Song Contest type key changes to ramp up the level near the end of the song.

I generally dislike the effect in pop songs, so it's a very rare technique for me to use. /QUOTE]

Can you please elaborate on this ?

Key changes are great for maintaining or picking up the attention of the listener. It also adds an extra layer of emotion to the song.

I remember a few songs that have a key change for the chorus. That's cool.
Also key changes are employed for the vocalist to show off their vocal range. A little pessimistic but true.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by flaaash
Can you please elaborate on this ?

I usually find them a little sea-sickness inducing. Like the typical Def Leppard ones.
Quote by Jehannum
I usually find them a little sea-sickness inducing. Like the typical Def Leppard ones.

I think the way Def Leppard uses modulations sounds good - they use modulation in a more interesting way. They rarely have typical "Eurovision" modulations (last chorus a whole step higher) in their songs. And IMO they make their songs more interesting.

I think the modulations in this song work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oFYu3h1xHY
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I had a song that ran almost 4 and a half minutes. The chorus ended on D and I did a step move to E, sustained it a little bit to adapt the listeners ear (with a melodic transitional bass fill) and then began another chorus in the new key of A (all the chords of the chorus were transposed) - It changed the energy of the song and made it easier to listen to, as it was a longer song, and the same notes at the same frequencies will tend to dull the ears for the listener. The key change injected new life, since I couldn't change the length of the song itself without it "losing something".

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 13, 2014,
Modulations work best when they don't sound forced. Sometimes you just hear it. The song needs to go there. It needs a key change. Some songs don't need it and some do.

Me and my friend wrote a song that modulated many times. The structure was A B C A D A B C D. The A part was in D major, B in G major and C in G minor. D part was in A major but the A part following the D part was in E major and the next B part was in A major and C in A minor. The last D part was also in A major. The song had a pretty good flow and I just heard the modulations. The third A part was first also in D major but then we had a problem because we knew what we wanted to do in the song next but the problem was the transition between the last C and D parts (from G minor to A major). We decided to shift the last A, B and C parts a whole step up which made the transition flow nicely. We just had to find the right keys to make the song have a good flow.

(The overall key structure was D - G - Gm - D - A - E - A - Am - A.)
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115