the thread from the guy wanting the Clapton Beano tone got me thinking more on this subject as it seems to come up a lot here. how many of us go out of their way to chase a tone? in the end is it worth the effort.

personally I've never been really obsessed with trying to duplicate any particular tone. having said that I have tried to get certain tones using the gear I have (had). gary moore's strat tone on Cold Hearted (Corridors Of Power album)comes to mind. I find that trying makes you explore your gear.
I can almost visualize my tone in my head. Nothing I've heard is exactly like it. Closest falls somewhere around having characteristics of Gojira Le Enfant Savauge tone and Bloodbath The Fathomless Mastery tone.

Tone chasing is fun for me, and I don't think it's a waste of time. I haven't found it yet, but there is still a ton of stuff out there for me to explore. Biggest issue being money.

I imagine that if you're actually trying to copy someone else's tone, it's a bit different.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Exactly. Chasing the tone in my head is important to me, but I don't care to cop anyone else's sound in particular. Of course certain sounds give me inspiration, but I don't try to mimic them.

I think if you want a certain sound and getting it will satisfy you, it is absolutely worth it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I am not a tone chaser as well but I do like to gear I have to emulate a specific artist and often find myself liking a tone I created. I am honestly just a sucker for gear and I often use specific pieces of gear to "chase" after a certain artist sound, but do so bearing in mind that I will not have the exact tone. Having multiple guitars and amps allows for a lot of fun and exploration to be had, and honestly I find joy in that.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by monwobobbo
the thread from the guy wanting the Clapton Beano tone got me thinking more on this subject as it seems to come up a lot here. how many of us go out of their way to chase a tone? in the end is it worth the effort.

I find that trying makes you explore your gear.

I'll chase one now and then, not so much because I want to duplicate it for that particular song, but because it's going to tell me something once I get there, and it's another arrow in the quiver.

Recorded tones are often the result of the original gear plus all of the recording process right through to playback and the kind of gear you're listening through and maybe even the room you're in. But sometimes the chase itself can give you insights along the way.
Chasing to copy someone else's tone? No.

Tweaking my own kit & experimenting with new stuff to see if I want to add it to my setup as part of my own unique tone? Yes.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Offworld92
Gojira Le Enfant Savauge tone

Yes.

Quote by Offworld92
Bloodbath The Fathomless Mastery tone

Yes.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
depends... trying to absolutely nail a certain tone is probably an exercise in futility

but there are sort of ballpark/benchmark tones which are pretty useful to be able to get (if you want them). I don't think getting a tele if you like tele tones and don't already have a tele is "tonechasing" (with "tonechasing" having negative connotations), for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Unless you have access to a well-equipped studio, chasing a tone you hear on an album is like trying to reach out and touch an asymptote. You can get close, but you won't ever get there because you simply won't ave all the gear..

Chasing a tone in your head is different. Even though the limitations of gear may still hinder you, you won't have an unchanging unachievable example to measure yourself against. Instead, the feedback loop between what you hear and what you want will be a moving target. One paradoxically easier to hit.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by GaryBillington
Chasing to copy someone else's tone? No.

Tweaking my own kit & experimenting with new stuff to see if I want to add it to my setup as part of my own unique tone? Yes.

couldn't have said it better.

I used to obsess about it alot. Hardly any more although I sometimes do but I try not to. I've learned to appreciate what I have, and I think I have it pretty good.
I've spent most of my guitar-playing life trying to nail EVH's tone from the first album, because when that came out in early 1978, it changed the whole world of electric guitar. To me it's still the greatest tone ever, but at least now I appreciate other great tones much more. Brian May, David Gilmour, Gary Moore, SRV, Clapton, Beck, Eric Johnson. Great tone is everywhere, but I got caught up chasing that early VH tone.
No one could ever REALLY duplicate it for years, until the details of his re-amp setup came to light. About 7 years ago, I put together a rig virtually identical to EVH's, & BAM! There's that tone I've been after for years. It actually felt VERY rewarding, & I still play with it here & there, but like most of you said, it's about finding the ideal tone FOR YOUR STYLE of playing. I know that now
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by lemurflames
Yes.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1oQ00vEiZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1d7_THn7dQ

Also forgot The Black Dahlia Murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPWHiFpAUE

Problem is, I've owned a 5150 212 and a 6505 head, and I can get these tones with those amps, but that tone isn't *exactly* it. I haven't found *it* yet. But with the recent mainstream advent of genres like deathcore and djent, I wouldn't be surprised if amp manufacturing catches up in a few years, and something comes out that really works for me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have both L'Enfant Sauvage and The Fathomless Mastery albums on CD. Mouth of Kala is probably one of my favorite songs and tones of all tone. I might get closer with an EVH 412.

Not too familiar with The Black Dahlia Murder. I'll listen to them more when I have spare time.

Kind of obsessed with Insomnium's tone, but I think they change amps so much. Sometimes it's a 6505+ or a maybe even a Framus Cobra. There might even be some Mesa in there. Like hitting a moving target.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqCKvUSik-I

Been trying to nail this clean tone for ages!

SO yeah, tone chasing is something I do a lot!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ it sounds quite soft, like the effect you get by rolling the guitar volume control down if it doesn't have a treble bleed cap on it. try that with a marshally crunch/distortion type of tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ it sounds quite soft, like the effect you get by rolling the guitar volume control down if it doesn't have a treble bleed cap on it. try that with a marshally crunch/distortion type of tone.

With a bit of Chorus it'll sound alright. Cheers Dave.

Think we've hijacked this thread to be HELP ME FIND THIS TONE THREAD.

Happens on here though
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it depends, ive already found my tone and i've spent about $1800 total on gear which comparing with some other people on this forum, who may pay more than that for a single guitar or amp, is pretty good
banned
I dare to say these days tone can make or a break a riff/song/production.

Or for that matter some tones + styles are a winning recipe.

Take the "hendrix chord style" for example, something which is used by John Fruciante, JOhn Mayer and SRV as well as other's.

Maybe I'm biased, but that stuff just sounds better on a strat, or at least is always a "Safe pick".

More modern would be the AXE-FX which seems to go hand in hand with that "djent" metal style.

These may be considered "obvious" choices for those styles, but they were not developed with an intention to be super awesome tones for those styles. They are "discovered" and I also believe this goes for less iconic tones as well.

Take Green day or U2 for example, their sound is very recognizable, yet every guitar player probably has played that stuff on guitar. I don't mean their songs note for note, but the chords and progressions they play.

So yeah, try to chase the tone in your head, it will help.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 12, 2014,
Of course it's worth it.

There's almost nothing like the feeling of plugging a brand-new guitar into a brand-new OD into a brand-new Amp/cab and strumming a strong power cord.
I think tone chasing is a fun hobby and it's worth the effort if it keeps you interested in playing the instrument, but my opinion is that it is not all that useful in the real world.

The important thing is to do the best you can with the gear that you have available - make it work for you, and make it work for your music. It may not be the tone in your head but at least it'll do what it's required to do - The tone in your head might not be the right tone for the job, and if you're going to insist on having that tone regardless of whether it is appropriate or not, people will decide that you are not the right musician for the job, and will get someone else.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Tone chasing for me is like Wack-A-Mole. Every now and then it pops up, but is gone before you can figure out how you got it.
interesting answers.

personally I don't think that pursuing your own tone is the same as trying to duplicate another players tone. the quest for my own perfect tone is never ending the same as my desire to be a better player. a really good local player advised me early in my learning to play that I should go after my own sound and playing style "no one gets famous sounding like everyone else" I've always remembered that.

as for tone chasing for the purposes of this thread I think we all start off doing it to a degree. who doesn't want to sound like their fav players when they first start playing. it's a good learning tool. learning the basics of how certain tones are achieved is important to making decisions on what gear to buy. I've never been a position to buy say a 63 Strat and a Marshall JCM 800 stack so I could sound like gary moore (to be fair I did have a jcm 800 combo back in the 80s.) but I still use the tone I mentioned as a benchmark for what I want my strat tone to be (for hard rock).
It can be fun as an academic exercise.

Man, Gary Moore tone on a strat? I detect a problem right there.
And as far as I'm aware, he never used a JCM800 either. JTM45 in the studio, DSL100 on stage and a short flirt with Soldano. Oh yeah, and EVM's in everything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It can be fun as an academic exercise.

Man, Gary Moore tone on a strat? I detect a problem right there.
And as far as I'm aware, he never used a JCM800 either. JTM45 in the studio, DSL100 on stage and a short flirt with Soldano. Oh yeah, and EVM's in everything.

dude you're killing me. gary played his 63 strat in the early 80s on a ton of stuff. I have a mid 80s guitar mag with an interview mentioning what he used (may be wrong about model of marshall though). if you somehow don't have the We Want Moore live album from the 84 tour then get it immediately. gary is pictured with that strat on the cover. now I know many want his LP tone but I don't really get along with LP's playing wise so I don't really go after those tones (I use my BC Rich Eagle in place of a LP as it does a decent imitation but doesn't totally nail it) he also was using a Boss DS-1 as a boost.
Gary woke up to himself - your turn.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Gary woke up to himself - your turn.

ummm..... is that an Australian term? not sure what you mean.
I've never thought of myself as a tone chaser but I recently noticed the tone type I like/use the most is very similar to Stephen Malkmus's tone. I use just a smidge more gain. I'm a huge SM fan so maybe I subconsciously chased his tone. Its a somewhat easy tone to mimic so it also could be a coincedence. I've never bought gear specifically to chase someone else's tone though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Biebsy
Of course it's worth it.

There's almost nothing like the feeling of plugging a brand-new guitar into a brand-new OD into a brand-new Amp/cab and strumming a strong power cord.

Power cord:

Power chord: (learning to spell is a good thing)

Quote by dspellman
Power cord:

Power chord: (learning to spell is a good thing)

Who cares? You know exactly what he meant, which is what words are for. And he may be on a phone, which can makes anyone a bad spellor. Lighten up man, its a guitar websight forom.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i honestly didn't read the thread, so a untainted response.

i have never chased tone of a musician. THAT is a waste of time/$$$ IMO

i hear things a like, see what they use, if i like it. it is something that isn't going to 'their' tone, but to fortify my tone.

i have a lot of gear, i like it, and i can get inspired from different things at different times. i enjoy a variety of music with a variety of amp and guitars. i move things around all the time to change things up.

i haven't 'chased tone' but i haven't stopped looking and wont. its something i enjoy. i like buying gear.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
IMHO there is no such thing as "the perfect tone" and trying to chase it is an exercise in futility.

Sure, you can tweak your sound all you want to make it sound better. At some point, though, it's better to just call it close enough. When you're dropping $300 on a cable, for example, you have to wonder whether what you're doing is worth it.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jul 13, 2014,
chasing after tone is like drinking/doing drugs. Doing just a little bit is harmless fun that can really add depth to your music.

As soon as you pass a line, though, you start falling down an infinite cliff with salvation always being just out of reach, sacrificing more and more of your personality and money for that one perfect tone (that you're never going to reach, btw.) You lose your friends, family, all your credit cards are maxed out, your authorized dealers don't return your calls anymore and you spend your time creeping through craigslist and kijiji offering different "services" in exchange for pedals and isolated power supplies.

Friends don't let friends get G.A.S