I'm going to try going ampless soon. I've been using jam-up pro with the cheap irig lately and it sounds good. My plan is to get a set of monitors (irk rokits) interface (focusrite scarett 2i2 most likely) and i'd like to do something like a TC electronic g-major or something like that so that i can have a midi footswitch for effects and whatnot.

A couple of questions, first, is there a way to use a midi type footswitch with amplitube? And would I be able to assign it in such a way so that I basically have amps assigned to some (clean, rhythm, lead) and then individual pedals assigned to others instead of having it set up with patches (amp, effects, etc...).

thoughts on KRK rokit 5's? The focus rite scarlet? I'm going inexpensive as this is my first step into putting together my own little home studio/play around rig for myself and friends.

Finally, would it sound good using external effects with something like amplitube? For example, could i use something like the g major or even something as simple as a phase 90 in front of amplitube?
Quote by andrerist
My plan is to get a set of monitors (irk rokits)
Terrible idea, rkt's may have a captivating sound but they're everything but flat and clear.
Get a pair of flat and clear sounding monitors, for your sake.
Equator D8, Yamaha HS8, JBL LSR308...
Quote by andrerist
interface (focusrite scarett 2i2 most likely)
For direct guitar you might need a scarlett 2i4, which has an input gain low enough to avoid clipping when tracking direct guitar.

Since you're spending that much already though you might as well go for a better sounding interface.
Roland duocapture, mackie onyx blackjack...

Though you said you're on the cheap, so you might just get an unbranded guitar link and be done with it.
Quote by andrerist
and i'd like to do something like a TC electronic g-major or something like that so that i can have a midi footswitch for effects and whatnot.
That would be kinda pointless.
You would already have all the effects you need in your computer, so imo it might be a better idea to get a dedicated footswitch like the behringer FCB1010.

It would be a good idea if you were to use it with an amp, though that way it'd be a waste of money.
Quote by andrerist
A couple of questions, first, is there a way to use a midi type footswitch with amplitube?
Yes, but amplitube sucks so you might wanna go for something good sounding.
LePou's stuff is also free, and if ya have the money my personal favorites are the softube amp rooms and bx_rockrack.
Quote by andrerist
And would I be able to assign it in such a way so that I basically have amps assigned to some (clean, rhythm, lead) and then individual pedals assigned to others instead of having it set up with patches (amp, effects, etc...).
Amps assigned to what, and pedals assigned to other what?
Quote by andrerist
Finally, would it sound good using external effects with something like amplitube? For example, could i use something like the g major or even something as simple as a phase 90 in front of amplitube?
Stuff passing through amplitube will sound bad in any case, though amp sims in general don't tend to take pedals well.
But yeah, you might run pedals through amp sims.

And again, you have a computer there, you could get most of the effects you want for free and they'll be likely to sound better than the pedals.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hey amplitube has a few decent amps man, namely the orange ones are quite nice.

Just take out the cabinets cause they are the real culprits, and replace with decent cab impulses.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Spambot_2
Terrible idea, rkt's may have a captivating sound but they're everything but flat and clear.
Get a pair of flat and clear sounding monitors, for your sake.
Equator D8, Yamaha HS8, JBL LSR308...
For direct guitar you might need a scarlett 2i4, which has an input gain low enough to avoid clipping when tracking direct guitar.

Since you're spending that much already though you might as well go for a better sounding interface.
Roland duocapture, mackie onyx blackjack...

Though you said you're on the cheap, so you might just get an unbranded guitar link and be done with it.
That would be kinda pointless.
You would already have all the effects you need in your computer, so imo it might be a better idea to get a dedicated footswitch like the behringer FCB1010.

It would be a good idea if you were to use it with an amp, though that way it'd be a waste of money.
Yes, but amplitube sucks so you might wanna go for something good sounding.
LePou's stuff is also free, and if ya have the money my personal favorites are the softube amp rooms and bx_rockrack.
Amps assigned to what, and pedals assigned to other what?
Stuff passing through amplitube will sound bad in any case, though amp sims in general don't tend to take pedals well.
But yeah, you might run pedals through amp sims.

And again, you have a computer there, you could get most of the effects you want for free and they'll be likely to sound better than the pedals.

I really have no need for an 8inch speaker. Too much for what i'm doing with it. I'm trying to go not much higher than about $300 a pair.

As to the switching with the foot board and/or something like a g-major. Basically what i'm asking is, is there a way to assign individual amps (clean, dirty, lead) and individual pedals to each button on a midi footswitch within amplitube?
^ that's a midi interfaces for apple devices.
What TS's asking for if it's possible to have a midi controller switch between amps and effects, I don't really see how the two things are related.
Quote by andrerist
I really have no need for an 8inch speaker. Too much for what i'm doing with it. I'm trying to go not much higher than about $300 a pair.
Small monitor speakers are gonna sound small.

Though if you don't have any mixing to do with them, you might just get a pair of fancy computer speakers, maybe a pair with a small sub so you don't sound like you're playing through a carboard box.
Quote by andrerist
As to the switching with the foot board and/or something like a g-major. Basically what i'm asking is, is there a way to assign individual amps (clean, dirty, lead) and individual pedals to each button on a midi footswitch within amplitube?
Yes, you can do that, and my first midi controller choice is the same as before.
You'll need a midi to usb insterface though, so you might wanna keep it simple and get a roland duo capture, which IIRC has midi i/o, so you'd also be getting a nice sounding interface.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Oh, I assumed this thread was for an Ipad I don't know why...