When I play my guitar through my amp the distortion sounds fuzzy. How do I get rid of it? Here's the gear I'm using. My style is oldschool 90's hardcore/metalcore.

Epiphone SG (double humbucker pickups)
Roland 20x Cube amp
Metal Stack (built-in distortion)
Bass:2
Mid:8
Treble:4
Gain:5
Last edited by Leonid Vilkov at Jul 12, 2014,
Maybe turn down your mids a bit, I thought mid-scooping was outright cliche with heavy gain lovers. New pups, if they're stock, may help. And/or an amp upgrade.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Good amount of mids is nice, but too much and it's too in your face.

But really, you would need a good (tube) amp. They are most often always more fuller sounding.

They also produce a nicer more organic high frequency range.

If you really have too much high frequencies, then an EQ pedal could fix it.

Keep in mind that (traditional) SG type guitar have more upper mid range bite/snarl than for example a les paul.

That being said, especially pickups make a big difference in fullness over the whole EQ range. Cheap pickups often have fizz or annoying high end or flubby sounding lower mids.

Also, pure solid state distortion tones do seem to have a harder time getting a richer high end most of the time.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 12, 2014,
Buy a Big Muff and embrace it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
@xxdarrenxx I would by a tube amp, but I don't have the money for one. The pickups are the standard double humbuckers from the factory. They don't have covers on them so the pickups are bare like strat pickups. What exactly are you saying I should do?
Save more money. A pupgrade may help a little. Stock Epi pups are horrible. But you can't expect a $100 amp to be perfect. You've gotta pay to play (with good tone...for the most part).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Up the bass, lower the mids and gain slightly, bridge humbucker, and IIRC use the other distortion sound. Never liked the metal stack on the cubes.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Leonid Vilkov
@dspellman what's with the pic? I'm confused

It's a lint brush...it's used to get lint, dust and fuzz from clothing.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp