How many songs can the Pit think of that rock, roll, bang or flow that were also inspired by books/short stories? Thrree bids I'm making are Layla and I Am Yours by Derek and the Dominos, and The Wizard by Black Sabbath.
Praxis' "Interworld and the New Innocence" (possibly) based off Neil Gaiman's Interworld
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
You Got A Death Wish, Johnny Truant? and The Hol[ ]y Tape by The Fall Of Troy

edit: both inspired by House Of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D8fHZMi9lE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NRE7pIdXD8
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
damn juturna is my favorite circa survive album, how could i forget that one

never heard the snowing song tho

edit: holy shit bob that snowing song

is all their stuff that good?

edit2: it is

everybody listen to snowing
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Last edited by Primus2112 at Jul 12, 2014,
Becoming the Archetype's album Dichotomy is entirely based off one of C. S. Lewis's sci-fi novels, if I remember correctly.

Quote by Primus2112

yup
Rise Against's song Survivor Guilt has a little bit of influence from Joseph Heller's Catch 22. They quote part of the movie into the song (this is the book quote):

"America is not going to be destroyed " he shouted passionately.
"Never?" prodded the old man softly. "Well..." Nately faltered.
The old man laughed indulgently, holding in check a deeper, more explosive delight. His goading remained gentle. "Rome was destroyed, Greece was destroyed, Persia was destroyed, Spain was destroyed. All great countries are destroyed. Why not yours? How much longer do you really think your own country will last? Forever? Keep in mind that the earth itself is destined to be destroyed by the sun in twenty-five million years or so."

It's one of my favorite parts of the book seeing this old man screwing around with this soldier's beliefs.
Last edited by Cardbored at Jul 12, 2014,
I think a bunch of Rush songs were inspired by books, but I'm not positive.
Quote by Primus2112
damn juturna is my favorite circa survive album, how could i forget that one

never heard the snowing song tho

edit: holy shit bob that snowing song

edit2: it is

everybody listen to snowing

lol what's with you guys not having heard snowing before

dead and i were just saying we wish their full-length (that song) was as good as **** your emotional bullshit

ot: not really a book but milo's Concerning The Dream Tigers I Have Seen is based on a Borges writing

http://miloraps.bandcamp.com/track/concerning-the-dream-tigers-i-have-seen-for-borges
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Minkaro
Wait, I thought Layla was inspired by George Harrison's wife?

For the most part, you're correct. But the name came from an old Arabic book called Layla and the Madman that was given to Clapton by a friend. He found the story about forbidden love mirrored his life and we got arguably his best guitar work from it. The lyrics for "I Am Yours" off the album is actually a poem from the book that the band put music to.
Rapture of Ridley Walker by Clutch
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

The Stranger is one of my favorite novels, and I really, really like The Cure. I thought of lending my copy of Camus to my workplace's communal library, but then I thought "uhhhhh, what's the point of helping other people? What's the point of anything?"

Heart of Darkness by Arch Enemy shares its name with my #1 favorite novel, but it sounds like any other Arch Enemy song because they all sound the same.

Sexy Results by Death From Above 1979 is based on a Simpsons quote...and that's all I can think of now.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jul 12, 2014,
Scarecrow - Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett is about the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz I think.
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane - Alice in Wonderland
Lost Art of Murder - Babyshambles - Some Agatha Christie book. Can't remember which one.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jul 12, 2014,
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
The Doors.

Yeah yeah the band but I'm sure jim wrote about thomas the tank engine or green eggs and ham.
Pretty much all of Coheed and Cambria's music is based on the comic book/ graphic novel that the lead singer writes.

Iron Maiden's Out of the Silent Planet and Brave New World
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by Primus2112

Came here to say this. Also I believe that the 'last march if the ents' was based on lord of the rings which was a book so maybe that counts.
A lot of Led Zeppelin's music was inspired by Tolkien
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Mike oldfield's The songs of distant earth. An entire album inspired by the book with the same name.
I'm partial to "I Am Dmitri Karamazov and the World is my Father" by Protest the Hero. Kind of biased though, since The Brothers Karamazov is one of my favorite books.
For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden is basically a plot synopsis of the short story of the same name
I guess wichever you think the best song by Blind Guardian is. Im gonna go with Ride into obsession or wheel of time, simply because the books were so awesome.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
I guess wichever you think the best song by Blind Guardian is. Im gonna go with Ride into obsession or wheel of time, simply because the books were so awesome.

Was gonna post this!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
"Strawberry Jam Delta-V" by Joe Satriani

based on a line from the Hyperion cantos by Dan Simmons
My God, it's full of stars!
Any song by Summoning.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace