I'm toying with the idea of getting another pedal to add to my board, and I want it to be a Marshall style sound - think 80s glam, Motley Crue, GNR, LA Guns etc.

Budget will be about £100, so UK based obviously. Full kit listed in sig. Used is a good thing.

So far I've been thinking about the Wampler Plextortion & Carl Martin Plexi Drive, but both are more than I'd like to spend - even used they tend to hit £150ish.

Obviously companies like Joyo make clones of these pedals, but as it'll be used for gigging I'd prefer to stick with higher end manufacturers.

Aside from the two I mentioned, what else is out there that might be worthy of investigation?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
AMT m drive and m1 and m2. Tech 21 British too.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
This Suhr Riot seemed very popular for that last year around here.

I would also not necessarily put GNR and 80's glam tone as the same thing.

I find Slash's tone has always been quite natural (GNR 80's production in general), where the typical glam tone is viewed as a very mid range full drive in your face tone with reverb and delay.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 12, 2014,
The joyo hot plexi might just do.
Or the joyo crunch distortion.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by tas38
AMT m drive and m1 and m2. Tech 21 British too.
First search on ebay only finds them in the US, but will keep watching.

Quote by Spambot_2
The joyo hot plexi might just do.
Or the joyo crunch distortion.
Thanks, but like I said I want to stick with higher end pedals. I've had a couple of Joyos in the past & liked them, but wouldn't want to trust them as part of a gigging set up.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
This Suhr Riot seemed very popular for that last year around here.

I would also not necessarily put GNR and 80's glam tone as the same thing.

I find Slash's tone has always been quite natural (GNR 80's production in general), where the typical glam tone is viewed as a very mid range full drive in your face tone with reverb and delay.
Hadn't thought of that, but wasn't surprised when I saw it mentioned....more of a memory-jogger than a suggestion A quick search says they're the right price, and FWIW a vid on youtube shows it might be just the thing - I think you've come up with the current favourite, thanks
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Catlinbread Dirty little seacret

AMT pedals are also very nice for their prices. AMT is a Russian company, so you should beable to get them in the UK
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ looks cool, but at $400 I'd rather get a used Marshall-ish amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ looks cool, but at $400 I'd rather get a used Marshall-ish amp

That's what I thought Didn't quite fit the budget....

Thanks for mentioning the DLS, that's one of the other pedals whose name I was trying to remember when I started this thread :cheers
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Marshall guv'nor
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If the M1/2 by AMT is anywhere near as good as the B1, P2, and D2 I've played with, get that no question.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
The super crunchbox is bang on £99 at andertons. I haven't tried it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Marshall Jackhammer is supposed to nail JCM800 type tones and they're plentiful on the used market usually running around $50 (£25-30?).
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Crunchbox is definitely worth looking into, thanks.

Those Marshall pedals are pretty poor though - I've had a couple in the past & the bypass in them is terrible. Put me off ever wanting anything by Marshall on my board. That's the newer silver models I'm talking about though, are the older models any better?
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
find a used JHS angry charlie brown, or regular charlie brown. whichever suits your taste.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Catlinbread Dirty little seacret

AMT pedals are also very nice for their prices. AMT is a Russian company, so you should beable to get them in the UK

IMO the DLS doesn't do 80's glam too well, more of a 60s / 70s voicing.
Maybe a rockett animal? M.I.A.B but a bit smoother apparently (than DLS)
^ pretty sure the animal is a clone of something too (since all the rocketts are, far as i'm aware). can't remember what exactly, but i can look it up if anyone cares.

Quote by GaryBillington
(a) Crunchbox is definitely worth looking into, thanks.

(b) Those Marshall pedals are pretty poor though - I've had a couple in the past & the bypass in them is terrible. Put me off ever wanting anything by Marshall on my board. That's the newer silver models I'm talking about though, are the older models any better?

(a) No worries. As I said, I haven't tried it, but they have a good rep (and my joyo bog-standard-crunchbox clone is pretty nice, though how close it is I dunno) and they're supposed to do the hot-rodded 800 thing pretty well.

(b) I think they still have half-assed bypass. Do you have any pedals with good buffers in them? Put one of those in front of it and that might cure it. Though I'm never much a fan of curing a problem which should've been right in the first place...

Quote by jon_six
find a used JHS angry charlie brown, or regular charlie brown. whichever suits your taste.

Isn't it a crunchbox clone? For more money? With fewer features than the super crunchbox?

EDIT: angry charlie is crunchbox clone, charlie brown BSIAB, as far as I can tell/am aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 12, 2014,
^ isn't the regular charlie brown supposed to sound like a JTM45?
'cause that's what's written on its product page at least...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ All my pedals are true-bypass (apart from the G3 which sits in the loop), so definitely don't want the Marshall bypass - and I agree about not wanting to cure a problem that shouldn't exist.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, got a few more things to watch out for on ebay noww

EDIT: Don't you just hate it when you point at the previous post & the thread goes to the next page!!
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jul 12, 2014,
I really like this demo of the Suhr Riot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJ2htwpydg

The ZVex Box Of Rock does a nice JTM45 sound through my AC30.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ isn't the regular charlie brown supposed to sound like a JTM45?
'cause that's what's written on its product page at least...

pretty sure that's BS marketing spiel, it's a brown sound in a box, as far as i'm aware. that's aimed at VH tones.

Quote by GaryBillington
^ All my pedals are true-bypass (apart from the G3 which sits in the loop), so definitely don't want the Marshall bypass - and I agree about not wanting to cure a problem that shouldn't exist.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, got a few more things to watch out for on ebay noww

EDIT: Don't you just hate it when you point at the previous post & the thread goes to the next page!!

yeah no worries. I've heard people say that about various pedals which are otherwise good- "just stick a buffer in front and it'll be fine." That's great if you have a buffered pedal which you already stick at the front of your chain, not so great if you don't!

And LOL, you can set your page to 40 posts per page
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Even at 40 posts, it can still happen Never bothered changing the page settings from the default. After this long, I doubt I'll ever get around to it....
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^^ Oh yeah, absolutely I didn't bother changing from 20ppp for ages, but eventually I renegued...

^ yeah a rat's a good shout, too. As you said, not really a marshall in a box, but it doesn't sound that far off a marshall either (at least at some settings).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
digitech black 13 has 6 different marshall models. the pedal sounds awesome through my blues jr. it makes it a metal machine.... not so much through my Windsor so your experience might be different
Also worth a mention: Xotic SL Drive. well within budget, easy to 'dial-in' and sounds great.