Hi,

Using a joyo jf-01 vintage overdrive at the moment going into a laney irt-studio with gain at 1 o clock.

The overdrive sounds ok but it's got no balls (sounds thin), what with the tubescreamer suck all bass, add loads of mids style. The irt-studio bass EQ knob seems quite ineffective. It's tight but I'm looking at other options instead of the joyo, namely:

MXR GT-OD - switch set to zw44 position.
Boss SD-1 mod with the switch - modern setting.
MXR M77 custom badass - gotta love that name!
OCD fulltone - seems way overpriced though.
Maxon OD9 - back to tubescreamer territory?
Any other suggestions welcome.

Anyone got experience with these? EMG 81/85 running into the laney with preboost OFF. Looking for a boost that maintains tightness but has a bit more low end and less mids. I can add the mids via amps EQ later and I use a parametric EQ in the fx loop.

Hoping to sell the parameteic if I can get a decent metal tone with just OD+amp purely because I could muck about with settings all day long and would rather keep it simple. The parametric EQ is the business though, really fattens up the tone in the loop (but with the result of me having tone controls in three different places, four if you count the guitars tone controls! Surely overcomplicated).

Thanks for any feedback on the above pedals.
Get a green rhino. It has controls over the mid hump and separate controls for low end and treble. I chose it over the M77 and hardwire cm-2. Green rhino packs more of a punch for gain boost on rhythm and lead.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Heard good things about the green rhino. Looks promising. I can try this too in the local store
If your using the Joyo as a boost, turn the gain to 0, the volume to max and the tone to taste. Use this to boost the dirty channel of your amp and see if it changes your mind any
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I bought a Custom Badass (I love saying that) just a few weeks ago for the same reasons you want one -- to thicken up the tone a bit as compared to a TS-style pedal. That's exactly what it does.

It's got a 100hz knob, as you probably know, which lets you go from a bass cut all the way to too much bass. I appreciate that they allowed for such a wide range of adjustment. When boosting my 6505+, it sounds best to me at about 6/10.

There's also a "bump" switch which realigns the pedal's EQ to be more bass/mids oriented with less highs. I can't decide yet which way I prefer to run it -- bump switch activated with 100hz knob at noon, or without the bump switch and a bit more on the 100hz knob.

Also, keep in mind, the M77 has asymmetrical clipping so it will add a little grind to your tone compared to a TS. Here is a comparison of mine using the M77 in one clip and my TS-9 in the other. You can clearly hear the difference. (Sorry about the quality of the recording and the playing -- I really rushed these clips).

M77 Boosted 6505+
TS-9 Boosted 6505+
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Robbgnarly
If your using the Joyo as a boost, turn the gain to 0, the volume to max and the tone to taste. Use this to boost the dirty channel of your amp and see if it changes your mind any

+1

That being said, the bass cut thing is pretty much par for the course with any (stock) tubescreamer- or sd1-type pedal, so if you know you don't like it, you either need to look at tubescreamer- or sd1-style pedals with either a bass boost switch or bass knob (VS route 66, digitech bad monkey, hardwire tube od, green rhino, mxr custom badass od etc. etc. etc.) or even at overdrives which aren't based on a TS or SD1 at all (timmy or something like that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was using the gain=0,level=10 on the joyo but still not enough. So here's what happened.

I just drove down to Andertons (no, chappers wasn't there lol) and tried out:

MXR custom badass M77
Fulltone fat boost
Green rhino

...through my dream amp, the evh 5150iii and my exact guitar. OMG that amp is the business in real life!! Best thing I've ever heard.

So I dialled back the gain on the amp and took the pedals for a spin. The green rhino killed the other two IMO so bought one. Fat, beefy, heavy metal goodness but still nice and tight. Of course the amp helped but it sounds just as badass through the laney with the 2x12 v30s. Move over joyo, green rhino is in the house!

Thanks everyone
Quote by samwillc
I was using the gain=0,level=10 on the joyo but still not enough. So here's what happened.

Yeah that's my problem with stock tubescreamers too- I like the sound etc. but they don't have a whole ton of boost on tap.

Quote by samwillc

I just drove down to Andertons (no, chappers wasn't there lol)

I think that goes down in the win column

Quote by samwillc
...tried out:

MXR custom badass M77
Fulltone fat boost
Green rhino

...through my dream amp, the evh 5150iii and my exact guitar. OMG that amp is the business in real life!! Best thing I've ever heard.

So I dialled back the gain on the amp and took the pedals for a spin. The green rhino killed the other two IMO so bought one. Fat, beefy, heavy metal goodness but still nice and tight. Of course the amp helped but it sounds just as badass through the laney with the 2x12 v30s. Move over joyo, green rhino is in the house!

Thanks everyone

Nice score Glad you're happy

I haven't tried the green rhino. I'm thinking of the hardwire tube od since it's cheap (and so am I ) and is supposed to have more boost on tap than a regular TS.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It was either keep spending £30 a time on budget pedals in the hope one would suit me or try them and spend a few quid on one I know I'll be happy with for awhile. The former is my usual style though, it's great fun finding cheapo alternatives
The hardwire Cm-2 has a bit of an annoying honk to it; I thought the green rhino had better tonal control/precision and clarity. And yay you took my suggestion
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 12, 2014,
^ Yeah that's my slight concern, too- people generally say it's a "better" bad monkey, but the BM feels slightly like there's a blanket over the speaker. Some people say the hardwire annihilates the BM, others say you can still sort of hear the bad monkey in there, so I dunno.

Big problem for me is the green rhino is massive.

Quote by samwillc
It was either keep spending £30 a time on budget pedals in the hope one would suit me or try them and spend a few quid on one I know I'll be happy with for awhile. The former is my usual style though, it's great fun finding cheapo alternatives

Yeah I know what you mean
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
And yay you took my suggestion

Gotta say thanks for that, the green rhino was off my radar of possible pedals. Been playing this afternoon, it's just freakin awesome! I actually don't need the parametric in the fx loop anymore as the green rhino makes everything so fat already. So my joyo and EQ have been unceremoniously put to one side. Not sure if I want to sell the EQ though seeing as its so hard to track a used one down in the UK, could be useful in the future.
I sometimes stack 2 TS type pedals (using them both as clean boosts), so I wouldn't get rid of it untill you try it out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate