I currently have three guitars which I would like to try some new pickups in but I don't really know which pickups would suit what I am trying to achieve. I'll go through each guitar and some pickups I am interested in one at a time:

PRS SE Fredrik Akesson (Mahogany body/neck; maple top, ebony fretboard): The stock PRS SE pickups (PRS SE 245 I believe) are not that bad but they are pretty hot. They do sound very metallic, like I can hear/feel the tinging of the strings through the amp. It's almost a nasally-like quality. I want to put in a set that is versatile but will give me a more modern sound (Modern Progressive Metal/Rock and I would really like to nail those Alter Bridge tones while not being restricted to being able to only do said tones). I would like a neck pickup that is warmer than my current one and an overall fuller sound. These are the pickups that I am eyeing for this guitar:

DiMarzio Dominions; EMG 57/66; DiMarzio PAFs; DiMarzio Air Classics; DiMarzio Norton/Air Norton; Seymour Duncan 59s; Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates; Seymour Duncan Slash set; Gibson 57s; Gibson Burstbuckers; DiMarzio Transitions; Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers. I plan to get nickel covers for the sets that offer it, I've heard that those can affect the tone but I personally can't say.

Edwards LP-110QM (Mahogany body/neck; maple top, ebony fretboard): This guitar came stock with a JB/59 combo and while I like them, they are not what I am looking for with this guitar. I want a set that will give me that classic late 60s to early 80s classic and hard rock sound. So I guess a PAF style set would be what I'm after. These are the pickups I have looked at so far for this one:

DiMarzio PAFs; DiMarzio Air Classics; Gibson 57s; Gibson Burstbuckers; DiMarzio Norton/Air Norton; DiMarzio Transitions; Seymour Duncan 59s; Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates; Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers; Suhr Aldrich. I would also be getting gold covers for these where available.

ESP LTD JH-600 (Maple neck thru, alder wings, ebony fretboard; Kahler 2315 trem): I currently have a DiMarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire set on this guitar and while I like this set alright I want to try something else since I have the same set in a Music Man JP BFR and the mahogany/koa on the BFR is more suited to the pickups than the Maple/Alder in the ESP. My main problem with this set is the lack of bottom end. It cuts like a knife but the tone has no balls, even when I slam the bottom end on my amp. The lead tones are greats and the neck is solid. I also dig the clean tones i get out of it, its just my rhythm tones that I find lacking. I was thinking one of these combinations might do the trick:

Seymour Duncan Custom 5/59; DiMarzio Illuminators; DiMarzio Super 3/Liquifire; DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton; DiMarzio AT-1/Air Norton; DiMarzio D-Activators.

Now for some general information. I play through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV (which due is very bottom heavy which is why I find my lack of bottom end through certain guitars surprising) which runs through a 2x12 cab (soon to be 4x12) equiped with Celestion Vintage 30s. I do use a THD Hotplate to attenuate the power (soon to be replaced with a Rivera Rockcrusher) other than that my signal chain at its most basic tends to only have a tuner, ISP decimator and a Keeley modded TS-808 to push the low mids. Please let me know if you need any other information and I appreciate all help!

*Also I don't want to spend more than $200-250 a set per guitar. So no Bareknuckles or WCR or anything that expensive.
Last edited by SCopeland24 at Jul 14, 2014,
For the JH-600, I'd take a regular Super Distortion. More lows than the Super 3, but not as prone to mud as the Tone Zone. However, I don't have experience with the pickups for your other setups.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 12, 2014,
I haven't tried all the pickups you've listed (or all the guitars), so bear that in mind when you read this

I think you're maybe looking a bit too much on the lighter side of things for the PRS SE- you seem to have mostly listed PAF types, I'd probably prefer to use medium or medium hot output pickups for that kind of versatility. From the big guys, the duncan customs or the dimarzio tone zone (maybe too dark, but I haven't tried the norton which is maybe more what you want) or something like that. That's for the bridge, a paf type in the neck is normally fine with a hotter bridge pickup, though you can go slightly hotter for the neck too if you want it to be as versatile as possible. Depends on what you use the neck pickup for, too.

Edwards: Yeah I think you're along the right lines here with PAF-types (though I think the norton and aldrich are a bit hotter, they may be too hot, though I haven't tried them). Big problem is I have very little experience with PAF-types in the bridge, so I can't really recommend any specific ones, all I can say is that I think you're on the right track. I have an edwards les paul too and I agree with you about the JB- it sounds pretty good in there but I suspect a PAF-type would suit the style of guitar far better. I like the stock '59 in the neck.

I'm not sure about the LTD because I haven't tried the crunch lab or liquifire so I don't know how much bass they have

hopefully that helped slightly...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah its a shame I'm not made of money otherwise I could just buy them all and just test them out myself.
Yeah the big problem with pickups is it's virtually impossible to get to try any models outside the really popular ones, and even if you could you really need to get to try it in your guitar to be sure, anyway...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Won't the lace pups be a bit too hot?

Also I should add I don't want to spend more than $200-250 on a set.
Yeah that might be a good idea, what neck pickup do you think would compliment the Custom Custom?
Free bump.

If you're in no hurry to replace, you can always email the big boys and the big indies like wolftone, BG, motor city and let them know the equipment you have and the sound you're looking for and see what they recommend.

It might take a while to hear back from them all but it might really help in getting the sound you want.
Yeah I sent Seymour and DiMarzio an email this morning. Don't really know which of the smaller guys I want to go with. Been looking at some Mojotones, Lace and Railhammers though.
Quote by Grawgos
Free bump.

If you're in no hurry to replace, you can always email the big boys and the big indies like wolftone, BG, motor city and let them know the equipment you have and the sound you're looking for and see what they recommend.

It might take a while to hear back from them all but it might really help in getting the sound you want.

Yep!

I emailed a dozen or so pickup companies-big & small- over the past couple of years in regards to a few projects, and I always got a polite and informative response. One small company took about a month...but it was because everyone was at NAMM!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!