Hi guys, quick question about fixing my bass.

It's an epiphone explorer and the nut (I'm new to bass anatomy but I'm pretty sure that's the part) has come off.

I was wondering how best to approach reattaching it. I presume it's a simple glue job but I'm not sure what glue is best for attaching metal to wood, so I thought I'd just ask for some advice before I balls anything up.

I'm hoping to sell this bass so I'd like it to be as permanent a fix as possible.

Cheers
Assuming that no part of the nut itself was broken, then yes; it is a simple matter to glue it back in there. Do not use Super Glue or anything like it, as you might have to replace the nut one day, and working against Super Glue is trouble that you do not need.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I broke the headstock off of one of my guitars. I glued it back with gorilla glue, and the nut as well.

I wasn't really thinking about ever having to replace it when I did it, and when that time came I was kicking myself in the arse.

Elmers glue will work fine.
Quote by quadracer92
Elmers glue will work fine.

^This. The pressure of the strings against the nut will do everything else.
Sure it's the nut, guys? OP said, "metal to wood."
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Yep, maybe. Not so common, but I'm not familiar with the guitar. Doesn't sound like the bridge, so I reckon you're correct.

Edit: just found a reference to one with "what seems like an original brass nut" in the words of the owner, so all is well
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Last edited by EMarkM at Jul 14, 2014,
Busting a nut isn't something I'd usually post about on forums
Schecter Hellraiser C VI
Devi Ever DFD
Yamaha THR10X
Last edited by PiecesOfQuiet at Jul 14, 2014,
You clearly have never been in the pit, pieces.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
A very small amount of Elmer's Glue is all you need to *barely* keep it in place. The strings are supposed to do the rest. Don't slather it up -- when you change out the nut, you'll take half the neck with it.

Google "Attaching a guitar nut" and you'll get all the information you need.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 14, 2014,
My Gibson Explorer (bass) had a metal nut, so that wouldn't surprise me. You don't need a lot of glue, just a couple of dabs to hold it in place - the strings will hold it in place completely - having it secured by a little bit of glue just makes the restringing process easier.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jul 16, 2014,
Wood glue is probably too strong. If you ever have to replace the nut and you used anything stronger than Elmer's Glue, you are going to hate yourself!
I was under the impression that thats what fender ised to put the nuts in...? (I may be wrong the info I have is from hours of youtube videos)
Quote by sf12rocker
I was under the impression that thats what fender ised to put the nuts in...? (I may be wrong the info I have is from hours of youtube videos)

They use Titebond White Glue.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!