I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want and where to really look. I have a Valveking 112 and I mostly use it to play an AMT E1 through, as well as playing clean. So I want a speaker that can handle cleans and modern high-gain well. Anything in between isn't really important.

I want a speaker that won't break up at all with my 50 watt amp. I would say the most important thing to me is that there is lots of clarity on the high end without getting brittle or ice-picky. Warm, full bass and mids without getting muddy or mushy. I don't want a speaker that imparts too much of it's own sound, but rather lets the guitar, amp, and pedals shine through.

The Jensen Mod I have in it now sounds pretty good, but it's only 50 watts and has a sensitivity of 93dB, so I want something louder that won't break up. Right now I'm considering a few of the Eminence Legends and the Jensen Mod 12-110 (Same speaker but 110 watts and 98dB). I'd like to keep it under a $100

One last thing, Valvekings are capable of running at 8 or 16 ohms, does it make any difference?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Assuming it actually lets you set the impedance and it's not just running a safe mismatch, then it's going to make very little difference.

do you like your current speaker? if so, the other jensen mod might be worth considering.

i'm not entirely sure what you want from your description because on the one hand you say you want all these tonal things happening yet on the other you want it to be transparent out of what i've tried, an eminence texas heat might work for the warmness thing, while a swamp thang might work for the more transparent thing. both speakers assuming you prefer american tones.

do you prefer an american or british sound?

i dunno what an amt e1 is
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know, I suck at this. Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time.

And there is no impedance switch, Valvekings are labeled to run at 16 ohms, but are perfectly safe at 8.
16 ohm speakers are more versatile if you want to start swapping speakers around in different cabs. With 8 ohm speakers you are stuck with an 8 ohm cabinet with a 4x12 whereas 16 ohm speakers can be wired up as either 4 or 16. That's why they are so much more common. They just make life simpler.
Theoretically, a 16 ohm speaker should have less top end but in practice I've never noticed it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm a fan of V30s and EVLs. If you want a good, sensitive speaker at a reasonable price that won't break up (your amp will, but the speaker won't), pick up the Eminence Delta ProA.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-pro-12a-12-cast-frame-driver--290-510

Or this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-pro-12-450a-12-professional-midbass-woofer-8-ohm--290-511?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla
Quote by dspellman
I'm a fan of V30s and EVLs. If you want a good, sensitive speaker at a reasonable price that won't break up (your amp will, but the speaker won't), pick up the Eminence Delta ProA.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-pro-12a-12-cast-frame-driver--290-510

Or this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-pro-12-450a-12-professional-midbass-woofer-8-ohm--290-511?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

I like the Delta Pro A, specially for bass ... pretty good with guitar, too. The new Emi Legend EM12 is probably close to the EVM-12L. Waiting for more mileage/time on the Legend EM12 I installed in a 212.
The Delta Pro looks pretty good, and it seems to be fairly similar to the EVM-12L, but within budget. Eminence EM12 looks good too, but a little over budget. From what I've read and listened to on Youtube, I'm not a big V30 fan. G12C/S seems nice, but I'm not finding much to research on it.

@Dave, I honestly don't even know if I want an American or British voiced speaker. An AMT E1 is an Engl in a box pedal. Swamp Thang and Private Jack were the Eminence Patriot/Redcoats I seemed to like the most. I was not a fan of the Texas Heat at all.
Most Engl cabs have V30's or V60's. I'm not sure what the V60 really is or sounds like, I have heard that it is a darker type of V30.

So a V30 type speaker would probably work pretty well. They are also one of the more recomended and used replacements for the VK amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Yeah I'm sure I've tried v60s but I can't remember much about them. Plus even if I did try them, I doubt I tried them head-to-head with V30s anyway. If they *are* darker V30s, eminence V12s might be worth a look. they're a lot less neutral-sounding than swamp thangs, though, so not sure if that's what he wants or not.

or of course, as you said, a regular v30 (or WGS or eminence version) is known to work well in valvekings, though I haven't tried a v30 in a VK.

Quote by tas38
I know, I suck at this. Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time.

And there is no impedance switch, Valvekings are labeled to run at 16 ohms, but are perfectly safe at 8.

No worries, I was totally clueless about speakers until recently when I got into them (cynics would say I'm still clueless ). They're a bit arcane and it's hard to get to try different models etc.

I'm assuming (hopefully someone who knows better will confirm) that if it's labelled to run at 16 but is "perfectly safe" at 8, that that means that 16 ohms would be the better match (i.e. 8 is a "safe" mismatch), since you'll be getting full power transfer etc. Assuming I'm right in my assumption (that's a lot of assuming... a double assumption ), I'd go with 16 ohms for any replacement speaker. Especially since you mentioned you wanted more volume (though just as good practice I'd personally want a correct impedance match anyway unless I had a very good reason not to have one).

Quote by Cathbard
(a) 16 ohm speakers are more versatile if you want to start swapping speakers around in different cabs. With 8 ohm speakers you are stuck with an 8 ohm cabinet with a 4x12 whereas 16 ohm speakers can be wired up as either 4 or 16. That's why they are so much more common. They just make life simpler.
(b) Theoretically, a 16 ohm speaker should have less top end but in practice I've never noticed it.

(a) That's a good point. Assuming 16 ohm is the match, that's another reason to go 16 ohm.

(b) Yeah. I know I tried one of my cabs in both series and parallel at different impedances (not quite the same thing), and I noticed the very, very slightest difference which you could just about tell if you tried the thing head-to-head (and it was within psychological error I'd have said). I'm not sure I've tried the same speaker at different impedances head to head, but based on that (which is also meant to have a subtle difference) I'd probably not worry about it, either.

Quote by tas38

@Dave, I honestly don't even know if I want an American or British voiced speaker. An AMT E1 is an Engl in a box pedal. Swamp Thang and Private Jack were the Eminence Patriot/Redcoats I seemed to like the most. I was not a fan of the Texas Heat at all.

No worries. Thanks for the info on the AMT E1.

If you didn't like the TH, then avoid it.

Swamp Thang is a pretty neutral-sounding, pretty modern-sounding American-voiced speaker- if you liked it, and you want the neutral thing (sounds like you did from your opening post), it might well be worth considering. It's one of the ones I originally mentioned. I haven't tried the EVLs or deltas etc. which dspellman and ippon are talking about, though, they may well be better for that purpose.

I haven't tried the Private Jack, but I think it's one of Eminence's greenback-style speakers. British-voiced (though if my gb128 (their other, older, GB-style speaker) is anything to go by it might sound a bit more American than the celestion version), pretty vintage-sounding.

A celestion classic lead might work, too, it's like a more neutral british-sounding speaker. might be too dear in the USA, but I think WGS does a version (I haven't tried it, though).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 13, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah I'm sure I've tried v60s but I can't remember much about them. Plus even if I did try them, I doubt I tried them head-to-head with V30s anyway. If they *are* darker V30s, eminence V12s might be worth a look. they're a lot less neutral-sounding than swamp thangs, though, so not sure if that's what he wants or not.

or of course, as you said, a regular v30 (or WGS or eminence version) is known to work well in valvekings, though I haven't tried a v30 in a VK.

No worries, I was totally clueless about speakers until recently when I got into them (cynics would say I'm still clueless ). They're a bit arcane and it's hard to get to try different models etc.

I'm assuming (hopefully someone who knows better will confirm) that if it's labelled to run at 16 but is "perfectly safe" at 8, that that means that 16 ohms would be the better match (i.e. 8 is a "safe" mismatch), since you'll be getting full power transfer etc. Assuming I'm right in my assumption (that's a lot of assuming... a double assumption ), I'd go with 16 ohms for any replacement speaker. Especially since you mentioned you wanted more volume (though just as good practice I'd personally want a correct impedance match anyway unless I had a very good reason not to have one).

(a) That's a good point. Assuming 16 ohm is the match, that's another reason to go 16 ohm.

(b) Yeah. I know I tried one of my cabs in both series and parallel at different impedances (not quite the same thing), and I noticed the very, very slightest difference which you could just about tell if you tried the thing head-to-head (and it was within psychological error I'd have said). I'm not sure I've tried the same speaker at different impedances head to head, but based on that (which is also meant to have a subtle difference) I'd probably not worry about it, either.

No worries. Thanks for the info on the AMT E1.

If you didn't like the TH, then avoid it.

Swamp Thang is a pretty neutral-sounding, pretty modern-sounding American-voiced speaker- if you liked it, and you want the neutral thing (sounds like you did from your opening post), it might well be worth considering. It's one of the ones I originally mentioned. I haven't tried the EVLs or deltas etc. which dspellman and ippon are talking about, though, they may well be better for that purpose.

I haven't tried the Private Jack, but I think it's one of Eminence's greenback-style speakers. British-voiced (though if my gb128 (their other, older, GB-style speaker) is anything to go by it might sound a bit more American than the celestion version), pretty vintage-sounding.

A celestion classic lead might work, too, it's like a more neutral british-sounding speaker. might be too dear in the USA, but I think WGS does a version (I haven't tried it, though).

To follow up on Dave's observation/experience, the Private Jack sounds like Emi's take on the Greenback, the Governor to the V30, the Man O'War to the G12T75, and the Red Fang to the Alnico Blue.

Emi is positioning the EM12 as a replacement for the EVM-12L. Most have been using the Delta Pro A as a substitute for the pricier EVM-12L for guitar; but, it was initially designed for bass. It sounds really nice for guitar although I'm liking the EM12 better, for guitar.
^ I don't have much experience with the eminence celestion-equivalent models... in most instances I've either tried one or the other I haven't tried most of the redcoat line, apart from the red fang (and I haven't tried the alnico blue or gold ). About the only ones I've tried head to head are the greenback and gb128. I suppose the v12 if it's a v30-ish thing, but I'm not sure it's even close enough to call "v30-ish", it has a smaller magnet for a start.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ippon
Most have been using the Delta Pro A as a substitute for the pricier EVM-12L for guitar; but, it was initially designed for bass. It sounds really nice for guitar although I'm liking the EM12 better, for guitar.

The Delta ProA was originally a drop-in substitute for the EVM-12L, and since I have multiples of both, I'd have to say it's pretty much bang on. Since the reintroduction of the EV, it's been listed as a pro audio speaker (doesn't even show up as a guitar speaker), and while it's considered a woofer (it'll go to 52 Hz with not much trouble), it's definitely not (and never has been) designed for bass, nor has the EV (even though it'll get down there as well).
Quote by tas38
From what I've read and listened to on Youtube, I'm not a big V30 fan.

Don't base your fandom on Youtube and random intertoob reviews. The V30 may be THE speaker for most rock guitar. You also need to know that a V30 sounds significantly different when broken in (if you've read something about an annoying mids bump, it's likely from someone who heard one in a store for 10 minutes). Avatar makes the Hellatone 60, which is a relabeled V30 that's been "broken-in" by them using a process that runs certain musical and vibrational content for a certain amount of time. I have a pair of well broken in V30s in an open back modified Carvin Belair that are amazing.
The Delta Pro 12a is starting to look like it might be the best choice. Except I saw a (very small amount) few reviews that said they were a little bit dark. Have any of you here had that experience?
Quote by dspellman
The Delta ProA was originally a drop-in substitute for the EVM-12L, and since I have multiples of both, I'd have to say it's pretty much bang on. Since the reintroduction of the EV, it's been listed as a pro audio speaker (doesn't even show up as a guitar speaker), and while it's considered a woofer (it'll go to 52 Hz with not much trouble), it's definitely not (and never has been) designed for bass, nor has the EV (even though it'll get down there as well).

Also, sellers have been touting the new Emi Legend EM12 as a "direct replacement" for the EVM-12L.
Quote by tas38
The Delta Pro 12a is starting to look like it might be the best choice. Except I saw a (very small amount) few reviews that said they were a little bit dark. Have any of you here had that experience?

Yes, I have a 212 cab and like the EVM-12L, it's pretty neutral. Make sure it's the Delta Pro A, not the Delta Pro.
First off, thanks for all the help. But now I need some help with something.

To pay for this purchase I went to selling some speakers and my old amp on Craigslist. I have a guy ready to buy, but he wants to hear it for himself first. Where's a place that I'll have access to power that are good for this sort of thing.
A lot of great info on speakers here. I too own a VK and am looking to replace the speaker. I hear a lot of people saying VK are great for rock and blues. To me it sounds much too dark for anything other then metal.

I really can't see putting a $150-175 dollar speaker in a $300 amp. I hear great things about eminence and most of them qare at the price point I am looking at. I am personally going for a more American voicing, but let us know what you end up with and what you think of it Tas38. I think a lot of VK users would be really interested in how it effects your tone.
I too am a fan of speakers that don't add too much of their own color to the sound. Guitar speakers I have owned and used that I liked.

Vintage 12s
Altec 417- 100w/99db Loud, sounds great, very heavy. (personal favorite)
JBL D-120- 100w/99db Loud, great sound, heavy.
EVM-12L- 200w/99db loud, great sound, very heavy

Modern 12s
Jensen C12K- 100w/99db loud, great sound, moderate weight
Vintage 30 60w/99db loud, great sound, moderate weight (personal favorite)
Celestion G12H30 Heritage, 30w/99db loud, great sound, light weight
Private Jack 50w/99db, loud, great sound, light weight

I could easily gig with any of these and be completely satisfied in getting great guitar tone. There are very subtle differences which can mostly be addressed with a slight twist of the tone controls on the amp. My two personal favorites stand out very slightly and a V30 is in my Mesa right now.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 13, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Don't base your fandom on Youtube and random intertoob reviews. The V30 may be THE speaker for most rock guitar. You also need to know that a V30 sounds significantly different when broken in (if you've read something about an annoying mids bump, it's likely from someone who heard one in a store for 10 minutes). Avatar makes the Hellatone 60, which is a relabeled V30 that's been "broken-in" by them using a process that runs certain musical and vibrational content for a certain amount of time. I have a pair of well broken in V30s in an open back modified Carvin Belair that are amazing.

Yeah. I don't like how amp manufacturers put v30s in almost everything, whether it suits it or not, but at the same time they're absolutely great for certain things (mainly modern rock and metal). Also agreed that they need to be broken-in.

Quote by Smigzy

I really can't see putting a $150-175 dollar speaker in a $300 amp. I hear great things about eminence and most of them qare at the price point I am looking at.

I think WGS speakers are roughly the same price as the cheaper Eminences in the USA. Might also be worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I forgot to mention...

I actually emailed eminence support (they responded very quickly, seemed very knowledgeable and professional) asking for some advice with speaker suggestions with my amps speaker size, ohms, wattage, openbacked and the fact I was leaning more towards a fender tone. I told them I was interested in the red white and blues originally but saw it was only sold in 8 ohms. I told him I was interested also in the private Jack, governor, and one of their lengend series (can't remember exactly which one but based it on the sound clips and descriptions on their site, which by the way is great). I'm getting a bit long winded here but in his response he suggested that a cannabis rex would be a great replacement if I like the rw&b. he also told me for 30 bucks more I could special order a custom 16ohm rw&b direct from the factory.

I've read nothing but good reviews on the cannabis rex so I am really leaning in that direction. But I'm just a bit hesitant because I never read any VK users saying they use them. Mostly just fender users. But the fender-esq sounds are what I'm after.

So at the end of they day eminence support is great and it may be worth shooting them an email.

As Dar as the WGS speakers I keep hearing great stuff about them as well. I might look into those a little more.

I wish there was a place that you could just rent speakers for a few days to get an idea of what you are getting. Around my city we only have a few local ships and none of them even have speakers stocked. It's just hit or miss based on reviews and internet sound clips which as we all know have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Last edited by Smigzy at Jul 13, 2014,
Yeah any time I've emailed eminence they've been great. I always suggest people email speaker companies for advice.

I haven't tried the cannabis rex, as you said, a lot of people seem to like it (though it also has the rep of being pretty dark, I think, could be wrong). The RW+B is pretty nice, but I haven't tried it in a valveking. It's possibly on the darker side of things, too, but maybe not so dark as the CR. (Don't quote me on that, as I said, I haven't tried the CR.)

EDIT: and yeah agreed 100%, it's virtually impossible to get to try any speakers outside of the really popular ones unless you just bite the bullet and buy them. It sucks considering how much difference they make. I suppose they're sort of analogous to pickups in that respect.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I assume bumping a 4 day old thread is better than posting another one already. I keep listening to clips for different speakers, Eminences website is very helpful for this by the way, and I keep coming back to the Private Jack/Legend GB128. I know I said I wanted something really transparent like the Delta Pro, but these just sound so good. Everything I compare the clips to just gets beat. Eminence lists the Legend GB128 as a cleaner Private Jack and the clips sound virtually identical. That pretty much tells me it's what I want.

There's only one problem, it's 50 watts and it's "breakup modes" are medium. I always try to avoid pushing my Valveking into power amp clipping, but is there any chance the GB128 will get there before the amp does?
That might be slightly risky. Eminence has the rep of being a bit optimistic with its power ratings. I've never pushed a speaker enough to kill one, but I've heard people who know more about speakers than me say that the gb128 and private jack have more or less the same specs as a greenback, and a greenback is rated at 25 watts. I'd be ok putting a celestion (at least one of the "classic" celestions) of the same rating into an amp, but I'd be a bit iffy about doing it with an eminence.

Other companies make higher-rated greenback-style speakers, but whether they sound the same or not...

EDIT: don't worry about the bump, I agree with you, posting in here makes more sense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tas38
I assume bumping a 4 day old thread is better than posting another one already. I keep listening to clips for different speakers, Eminences website is very helpful for this by the way, and I keep coming back to the Private Jack/Legend GB128. I know I said I wanted something really transparent like the Delta Pro, but these just sound so good. Everything I compare the clips to just gets beat. Eminence lists the Legend GB128 as a cleaner Private Jack and the clips sound virtually identical. That pretty much tells me it's what I want.

There's only one problem, it's 50 watts and it's "breakup modes" are medium. I always try to avoid pushing my Valveking into power amp clipping, but is there any chance the GB128 will get there before the amp does?

The output power rating in the Valveking (and Peaveys in general) is...optimistic, especially given their historic cold bias parameters.

That's not to say that they won't hit it, just that it's unlikely to be sustained for any length of time. If as you say you seldom drive it to power tube distortion you're probably fine.

This advice is of course worth exactly what you paid for it...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
LOL

That's a good point about the cold biasing thing- that's well above my pay grade, like you, my advice is generally worth what it's cost... in fact I suspect I may be overcharging

And yeah if you keep the volume well down then it's probably not going to be a problem.

But so you don't have to worry about it (or forget some day and crank it ), it's probably safer to have a higher wattage speaker in there, just in case.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm gonna do this, I'll get the GB128 right now and look into getting a 1x12 cab down the road so it'll only be getting 25 watts. I can't help it, it just sounds so damn good and every review of it says it's a direct creation of God himself.
GB128 is a nice speaker, I have one and it is a nice speaker and super cheap.

Don't crank your amp to 10 and you'll be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah the GB128 is very nice but you can kind of oversell these things, too. It's a good speaker, at a good price (IMO). It's not going to make unicorns fly out of your amp either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah the GB128 is very nice but you can kind of oversell these things, too. It's a good speaker, at a good price (IMO). It's not going to make unicorns fly out of your amp either.

Then explain what's going on here Dave

Notice how his eyes are closed in deep concentration
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 18, 2014,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?