Hi there,

When I'm plugged 10ft right into the amplifier, the sound is just really good. But on stage, since 10ft is a bit limitating, I use a 20ft cable long. Then you got the pedalboard (fuzz into tu-3 into wah into amp), and then a 10ft cable, which brings me to, let's say 33ft long.

Thing is, it seems the buffer in the tu-3 is too powerfull (?) for a 10ft long cable (I get too much top end). However, the signal is already weakened inside the long 20ft cable before. Result, it seems that I get a dull signal pushed too hard into the amp. I don't know if it's that much of a difference on stage, but at home I hear it clearly. Maybe I should try two 20ft, so that the Tu-3 dosent push too hard. Or maybe I could get a good buffer too...

The other way around is kinda good tho. 10ft cable into Tu-3 and then 20ft cable. Not like plugged right into amp, but fair enough. It sucks because I paid a whole bunch of money for this freaking lava cable (20ft) (I regret now ) 15ft would have been better I'm guessing.

I'd like to know, how do you guys manage to keep a nice signal? How the pros do it? Or maybe I'm getting crazy about this one. Does it make a difference on stage after all? Is it hard to cut down a 20ft cable to 15ft? Does going wireless remove this issue?

So many questions !!!

Edit: Bad title, since it's more likely impossible to get 100% signal as soon as you put something in between the guitar and the amp.

Thanks !
Last edited by Taz9 at Jul 12, 2014,
A buffer is just a boost set to really low volume, so what you're hearing just means that for one reason or another (output or EQ, just like you would have with a clean boost pedal) that buffer isn't working for you. I'd be surprised if the difference between a 10 and a 20 foot cable were that audible. Perhaps one of your cables is bad?

Some pedals have a trimpot inside that lets you adjust the buffer level, but I'm not sure that the TU-3 is one of them. Certainly you could replace a part or two to change the treble response on the bypass, that's not too hard. Post a schematic in the GB&C forum if you need help with that mod.
I just realised the wah might change the signal? 10ft vs 20ft right in amplifier is really close, but 10ft vs 30ft or so is a different world (then again the wah? Never tried without).

Certainly you could replace a part or two to change the treble response

I'm no good (yet) with a solder gun I'll check that out tho. I might try different cable lenght and maybe swap the tu-3 with a transparent clean boost just to see if it does any better before. Thanks Colin!
Recently I learned (on UG) that there are actually dedicated buffer pedals. Maybe check into that. I don't use long cables or a huge pedalboard but I experience the same thing you're talking about. Even with all pedals off, it still doesn't sound as organic and musical as going straight into the amp. And only plugging in one pedal doesn't suck the tone as much as having 3-4 pedals plugged in.

Anyone have experience with a good, modestly priced buffer pedal? Anyone tried the AMT buffer pedal?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Taz9
I just realised the wah might change the signal? 10ft vs 20ft right in amplifier is really close, but 10ft vs 30ft or so is a different world (then again the wah? Never tried without).

Yes, absolutely. I would definitely suspect the wah. Most wah pedals have a relatively bad bypass and they tend to suck the treble from the signal. Any pedal that doesn't have true bypass is going to do something to the tone after a buffered pedal, some more than others. Any cable after a buffer is essentially zero, so I just don't think that your amount of cable run is the issue here, 20 feet of unbuffered cable is just not that much. I think if you tried the 20 and the 10 foot cable straight into the amp you would hear no difference, if they're good cables. This sounds like a pedal issue to me.
Quote by lucky1978

Anyone have experience with a good, modestly priced buffer pedal? Anyone tried the AMT buffer pedal?

I haven't tried it but the EHX soul food supposedly has the klon buffer in it (and you can switch the buffer on or off), and is not much more (maybe even less) than most of those dedicated buffer pedals. Plus you get a cheap klon (ish) as well.

Maybe I'm just super-cheap (no maybe about it ) but I'd be inclined to try to find a pedal which has a known good buffer first. There's not that much to a good buffer (so I've been reliably informed), just a lot of the big guys try to save a few cents here and there because if you sell as many pedals as boss does, it adds up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried it but the EHX soul food supposedly has the klon buffer in it (and you can switch the buffer on or off), and is not much more (maybe even less) than most of those dedicated buffer pedals. Plus you get a cheap klon (ish) as well.

Maybe I'm just super-cheap (no maybe about it ) but I'd be inclined to try to find a pedal which has a known good buffer first. There's not that much to a good buffer (so I've been reliably informed), just a lot of the big guys try to save a few cents here and there because if you sell as many pedals as boss does, it adds up.

Excellent point! I only have 3 dirt pedals anyway. I'm pretty frugal myself which is why I haven't been able to justify buying the Soul Food, now I have my justification. Thanks Dave
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
YAY

I should add, I've heard they use quite cheap footswitches. So it might not last forever, kind of thing. But for a bit of fun and to let you see what a known good buffer will do for you (assuming it is the same klon buffer... I assume it is, but I'm not sure I've seen any confirmation of that, maybe do some digging online to see), plus to let you try a klon for a laugh, it might be worth a try.

(YES I'M TRYING TO TALK MYSELF INTO ONE TOO, THOMANN HAS THEM NOW AT ~£40 )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(YES I'M TRYING TO TALK MYSELF INTO ONE TOO, THOMANN HAS THEM NOW AT ~£40 )

I tried one like three weeks ago. I was not really amaze by it (not like a 1000 bucks amazed). I guess it was ok. Never had my hand on a real Klone I can't compare, but for this price it's attractive.
Yeah I mean I tried the real klon ages back and it was nice but not £300 nice (and they're a lot more now). But for £40 it's worth a shot, I reckon.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the secret to a good signal at the amp is to keep the signal chain simple and use short cord lengths. for example, this is the streamlined setup that i use

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?