I'm getting a bass next week and I wanted to get a small, cheap, practice amp to start.
I'm eventually looking to get a Gallien-Krueger MB 115, but for now, I just want something to get started.
The things I've found to choose from are:
Ampeg BA108 -25 watts
Pyle-Pro PVAMP30 -30 watts
Fat Boy FBGB15 -15 watts
Peavey Max 158 -15 watts
Hartke B Series 15 watt

So, I'm aware that these may not be the best, but as I said, I'm just looking for something to get started with a bass. I normally play guitar; I've played for 11 years and I don't even have a good amp for that haha.
I was considering the Hartke but I noticed some people having issues with it.
As for Pyle-Pro and Fatboy, I've never heard of them or seen them anywhere and I'm having trouble finding videos for them, so I have no idea what they're actually like.

Other than that, if it's any help, I'm into heavier music, but with a more funk sounding bass.
As I said, I'm eventually looking to get a GK or maybe Orange amp, but my budget is really limited right now, so if someone could let me know what from that list sounds alright for a beginner, please do =D
I have an Ampeg BA-112. I love it. Great little amp with lot's of tone options to dial in. It's not what I'd call cheap but it's not expensive either. You can't go wrong with an Ampeg if your a bass player. It's like the IBM of the bass amp world. GC has them for $280 and a blemished for $260. If that's too expensive then whatever you buy for less than that will be iffy and may not represent the tones and sounds your bass has very well at all.
If it was me, I'd go for either the Ampeg or Hartke, and see which one you like better. Either way you can't go wrong. I've played the Ampeg BA110, and loved it. The main difference is the tone. I'm pretty sure that while the BA112 has a tone shaping feature, the BA108 doesn't. The Ampeg is going to have a fatter, rounder tone, while the Hartke is going to have a punchier tone. Both tones are really good, so check them both.

Other than that, I can't comment on your other options.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
I've played through the Peavey and the Hartkes and they are doable for a practice amp. I do think the Ampegs are too much bucks for what you get in the end. Another option I'd throw out there are the Kustom lines. I had a KBA10 as my first "practice" amp and it was a tank and loud for the wattage.
Thanks everyone =)
I found some videos of the Ampeg and Hartke, and I'm really torn between them. Hartke and Peavey seem to have the sort of sounds I'm looking for, but there's something about the Ampeg that I really like too. I think if I go for the Ampeg I'd like to wait and get one with the tone option.
My only worry is that I've seen a few reviews for both the Hartke and Peavey saying that they sound too fuzzy.
But yeah, I'll decide. Thanks again!
Last edited by TheMagicGnome at Jul 14, 2014,
I personally prefer ampeg, but if you only have a 4 string you might as well save up for the Orange amps.I personally loved them untill I plugged in a 5 string. Jesus Christ how awful that was.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The ampeg ba108 has great sound like all Ampeg. Thing is, I see ba-112's popping up online for $150 all the time. (I have owned both btw) The ba-108 runs new at $99. The 108 is only good for practice, the ba-112 can handle band rehearsals in a lot of bands and even some small gigs (unless you are playing metal where all your guitarist are up on 11). What I'm saying is, drop a little extra coin to get something a little more versatile. Granted you are new, you will outgrow that ba-108 real quick and have to turn around and buy something else. At least with a ba-112 or something similar, in the event you get stuck and can't upgrade as soon as you like or need, you'd at least be able to jam with others, which is something as a bassist you need to do in the near future. It's essential to grow.
Quote by Neo Evil11
I personally prefer ampeg, but if you only have a 4 string you might as well save up for the Orange amps.I personally loved them untill I plugged in a 5 string. Jesus Christ how awful that was.

Thanks for the heads up lol. I heard the Orange amps and loved them, but I'm getting an Ibanez SR255 so I guess that wouldn't work too well xD
Quote by piratelooksat30
The ampeg ba108 has great sound like all Ampeg. Thing is, I see ba-112's popping up online for $150 all the time. (I have owned both btw) The ba-108 runs new at $99. The 108 is only good for practice, the ba-112 can handle band rehearsals in a lot of bands and even some small gigs (unless you are playing metal where all your guitarist are up on 11). What I'm saying is, drop a little extra coin to get something a little more versatile. Granted you are new, you will outgrow that ba-108 real quick and have to turn around and buy something else. At least with a ba-112 or something similar, in the event you get stuck and can't upgrade as soon as you like or need, you'd at least be able to jam with others, which is something as a bassist you need to do in the near future. It's essential to grow.

I see what you're saying, and I actually want the ba-112 a little more, but I tried out the ba-108 today and I think it'll fit my needs right now. It seems kind of dumb not to dish out the extra $50, but I kind of ordered my bass on impulse and won't have the extra money for a while. But that said, again I really did like the 108 and I think I'll be using it for a while. I'm really just looking to play alone for now.
But yeah, thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it
Last edited by TheMagicGnome at Jul 14, 2014,
My current practice amp is an Acoustic 10-watt. I picked it up new for about $90 USD. It's plenty loud for apartment playing and has some tone-shaping capabilities. Sounds fine to me but YMMV. Still, the price can't be beat and it has an aux-in for jamming to my iPod, so there's that.