Hi guys, I currently own a Squire Affinity Stray but really want to purchase a Les Paul style guitar. I stumbled across an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst with upgraded Grover tuning pegs and Wilkinson humbuckers and was wondering if it's worth the money -http://ebay.co.uk/itm/191236225196 - if not, what would you recommend? Ideally under £300.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by _Sovereign at Jul 13, 2014,
Epiphones come stock with Grover tuners, my $299 (new) G-400 has a set on it.

The link doesn't work
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Epiphones come stock with Grover tuners, my $299 (new) G-400 has a set on it.

The link doesn't work

I'm using the mobile version of eBay :/ http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191236225196.
The description says: "Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Limited Edition Silverburst. Produced as part of a limited run in 2010. The body is solid mahogany (The later versions that had a maple veneer top). Only Very little use at home , never gigged. Grover tuners. I've replaced the original pickups with a matched set of Wilkinson Humbuckers. The guitar would be in as new condition but there are some very light scratches between the pickups. These can be seen in the photo which I took at the worst angle to show them up, they are barely visable."

I can get a new Epiphone Standard for aroiubd £280 or a used Studio Deluxe with Seymour Duncan pups for £225, which is the better deal? The custom silverburst is £265 or an Alpine White one for £280.
Last edited by _Sovereign at Jul 13, 2014,
Why does no one check the facebook groups?
Ive seen a epi LP standard with SD SH4b sh2n going for £250 and several other epi LPs going for £200 - £300.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Why does no one check the facebook groups?
Ive seen a epi LP standard with SD SH4b sh2n going for £250 and several other epi LPs going for £200 - £300.

What Facebook groups?
Check out the Agile AL2000.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Agiles, while good value fo money in the USA, don't deliver that same value in the UK.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Instead, look at Fret-Kings. Made in the UK, and some can be found in your price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I'm glad people here enjoy Agiles but the ones I've played have been total junk.

I'd pick an Epiphone over Agile any day. At least they have some sort of customer service and a guarantee.
It's a good deal, Epi's are very good for what you pay but here's what i did, i was looking at upgrading from my first guitar (Epi LP 100) to an Epi LP Standard but my guitar teacher told to wait, save money and something better will pop up and it did, i ended up getting a Gibson LP Studio for $1100 Australian (600 pound) but if you really want it then it's a good deal
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by dyingturtle
I'm glad people here enjoy Agiles but the ones I've played have been total junk.

I'd pick an Epiphone over Agile any day. At least they have some sort of customer service and a guarantee.

Remember this is an opinion...

Epi Lps are littered all over around my neck of the woods. I've never actually owned one (for a reason), but I had a roommate that had an Epi Traditional Pro (and also the G400, SG), I've had extensive playing time on 3 Epi LPs that I can remember and I still try 'em out in stores. (I'm a nerd, if I see a guitar I've never played, I play it, if possible. You never know.) They're decent guitars with a pup swap.

No matter the price tag, I have NEVER played an Epi Lp that trumps my stock AL2000 ($249 new, I think).
I have a good friend with a very slick AL3000 (he was jealous of my 2000, he did have an Epi LP)($275 used).
I've only played a few Agiles, but Ive played many Epis, I fully admit that, just my opinion. But any Agile LP I've ever played feels, sounds and plays better than any Epi lp I've played...for half the cost. I'm not an Epi hater, I recently dropped the most money I've ever spent on a guitar on an Epi ES339 cause I bonded with it so well, its an excellent guitar and will be even better once I get the shitty epi pups out of it. But if Guitar Center sold Agile, there would be no Epi LPs.

Thats what I base my opinion on, what do you base your opinion on?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
firstly cant really get Agiles over in the UK that easily as you guys can t'other side of the pond.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/384673428248934/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/365219143557726/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKMGEX/

Just to get you started OP
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals

I know the Epi's used to be the next best thing to a Gibson LP but nowadays aren't they basically the same as most other Chinese made LP copies, just a little bit pricier?
Carvins- like Agile- are not as good a deal in the UK.

Carvins: extra expensive in the UK! Far better value in European and UK brands to be had.

Quote by dyingturtle

First, and just to veer back to 'on topic' -- the used guitar is 4 years old and has been altered from original. Forget the "custom run" BS, forget the "upgraded pickups." When I'm looking at a used guitar, mods and upgrades are usually a minus. I have no idea what the quality of workmanship is inside that control cavity. One guitar I looked at was originally billed as "original", later admitted to have been "returned to original" from a mod. The pickup leads were down to 3" and two of them were shorting out. If I'm buying, a different set of pickups, no matter how much the owner paid for them, are a minus. If you're buying that guitar, make sure that it's substantially below the cost of a new one.

My experience with Agiles has been stellar. I've got a neck-through custom, an AL 3100 Floyd and a AL 2000 Floyd B stock. The latter two are my go-to bar guitars, the custom is my #1 (over my Gibson Axcess Custom) for a project that originally required a "Gibson Les Paul -- not one of those cheap things." The project leader eventually decided he liked the Agile better (and I agree with him). I had the option of buying Epiphone LPs, of course, and here in LA they're almost literally a dime a dozen. I own no Epiphone LPs. I do own one Epiphone, a 1939 Emperor (non-electric), from the days when Epiphones were building better guitars than Gibson here in the US. One of my next guitars will be another Agile custom neck-through LP (AL-3200). Epiphone makes nothing even close at any price. Quality is outstanding.

I'm also a Carvin fan (seven, currently), but it has nothing to do with them being built in the US (barely this side of the border, by the way). They somehow find some of the best woods I've ever seen this side of Steve Hegelson and Nik Huber. Well beyond anything Gibson produces. And they build an excellent guitar that arrives at your door with seriously good fretwork, and usually still in tune from the factory. And because you're not handing 50% of the sale price to a brick and mortar corporation like Guitar Splinter, the prices are probably half what they could ask.

All that said, the game changes when you get to the UK. Epiphone becomes a reasonable choice and ESPs and Ibanezes rule the roost.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Carvins: extra expensive in the UK! Far better value in European and UK brands to be had.

I get it but you cannot compare Carvin to Agile as it is a better made guitar. They're up there with Fender and Gibson but no resale value I'll admit to that. I have no intention of selling my DC127 because it is sweet. I sold my Bolt kit guitar (next to red DC127) because of money matters, hated to sell it but it's done.

I had an Agile 3000, good playing guitar but dull tone wood. I solved it by putting in EMG 81 and 60. I played the crap out of it and after three years of playing it the neck warped. That soured me on Agile. My DC127 after five years are still like new. I upgraded it with the Steinberger tuners and retro Carvin M22s. It's my main axe.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Jul 17, 2014,
Quote by OldRocker
I get it but you cannot compare Carvin to Agile as it is a better made guitar.

Nobody is saying otherwise, near as I can tell, but the Agile vs. Carvin debate has no place in a thread about getting a new guitar in the UK for a budget of £300. You probably can't find a USED Carvin for that price in the UK.

IOW, you're wasting time & space with this tangent.

True but like I said, Carvin don't have resale value so if you looked you can get 'em cheaper than you think. I sold my Carvin Bolt kit for $400 and that's with Walnut body and SS frets. I put $700 in it that included a custom made HSH pickguard.

Yeah, you're in UK which changed everything and I thought Carvin will sell to UK.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I have about a dozen used Carvins on my radar right now, most still over $800. They've taken a hit from their original price, to be sure, but they're still out of the OP's budget.

The only one I've seen online listed under $550 lately- @£300- was a singlecut with the dragonburst...and its auction finished over $1000.

And yes, Carvin WILL sell to the UK. But unless you want something unique to Carvin, it usually isn't worth it. After paying import taxes and shipping costs, you can have a guitar as nice or better from one of the British or Continental luthiers or small brands.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 17, 2014,
Quote by OldRocker
I get it but you cannot compare Carvin to Agile as it is a better made guitar.

Check your PMs.
I saw a Bolt in a fantastic green paint job for $300 but that went fast.

I didn't realize the import tax and the shipping cost. I see the problem. The best value I saw from Carvin is the Bolt kit. Everything fits to a T so it's no brainer to assemble but it needs finishing/paint. I can see they're $429 now and when I got mine it was $349 without the upgrades.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Jul 17, 2014,