Hey Guys,
So I've been trying to pick out a pickup for...well..months. I could never chose one that I'd like based on video-reviews, and I don't exactly have the cash to just try them out, so maybe you can help me.

Im playing a HSS strat. Looking for a bridge pup.
Im looking for something warm and sustain-y.
i play in a 3piece original band.

Now i'm aware I can't polish a turd, and a strat can only be so 'warm' or bassy..
At the moment I seem to be caught between a JB or a Pearly Gates.

I can't say I'm looking for anything like a metal/classic rock tone, as i'm more attracted to guitar sounds like.. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (i know he plays a 335, far from a strat heh), Jack White and Deap Vally.

Would the pearly gates give me what I need? I know i said I play in a 3piece, but our style doesn't exactly depend on smashing power chords, and is more based on Low-string Kasabian-type riffs etc.

Hit me !
I'd look at:

Seymour Duncan '59
Tesla OPUS-1
RailHammer HyperVintage
Golden Age HB or Parson Street
Custom-wound from Vintage Vibe

Also, Lace, Lollar, Rio Grande, The Creamery and Bareknuckle all have excellent options as well- I just don't know which ones in particular offer the tones you want.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Check out:

Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid
DiMarzio Air Zone Bridge
DiMarzio Air Norton Bridge

I don't think the JB would be a great choice, seems like it has too much output for what you're going for.

The Pearly Gates might work, but I think it might not have enough bass for what you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 13, 2014,
Hey guys. cheers for the replies.
I hadn't really looked into the 59's...But now that you said it.
THeres a guy in my town who is selling a Little 59? and for 40euro aswell ( super cheaps ) so i was thinking of putting it in the neck of my strat. Bad Idea? GOod Idea?
Would having a real 59 in the bridge work with it?
I mean the SH-16 59/Custom, not a regular 59.

The Little 59 should work fine with a 59 bridge or a 59/Custom bridge, but are you trying to get rid of your single coil tones? I think it'd sound good for what you're going for, but at that point it won't really be much of a "Strat" anymore, haha.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Check out:

Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid
DiMarzio Air Zone Bridge
DiMarzio Air Norton Bridge

I don't think the JB would be a great choice, seems like it has too much output for what you're going for.

The Pearly Gates might work, but I think it might not have enough bass for what you want.

So I had a look at the 59 Custom Hybrids, and they recommended them for the likes of rock/pop. Just wondering does that mean they wont handle distortions well? Because I use a truck load of distortions..fuzz's..even Octave pedals sometimes.
Cheers
Quote by Offworld92
I mean the SH-16 59/Custom, not a regular 59.

The Little 59 should work fine with a 59 bridge or a 59/Custom bridge, but are you trying to get rid of your single coil tones? I think it'd sound good for what you're going for, but at that point it won't really be much of a "Strat" anymore, haha.

Haha, i see exactly where you're coming from. And If i had the cash, I would be sitting here licking my gorgeous new Gretsch...
But for the time being Im just going to make the best of what I got hah.
That said,I can always transfer over the humbucker if I did get a new guitar. And I never play anything other than the bridge pup anyways.
if you want super bassy (that's what it sounds like when you said "a strat can only be so bassy"... if I inferred to much from that, ignore what I'm going to say next ) a dimarzio tone zone might be worth a look. it's a lot darker than a JB or pearly gates.

it might be too modern- and hot-sounding for those tones you want, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Agreed, that's why I rec'd Air Zone.

Quote by glenn.colclough
So I had a look at the 59 Custom Hybrids, and they recommended them for the likes of rock/pop. Just wondering does that mean they wont handle distortions well? Because I use a truck load of distortions..fuzz's..even Octave pedals sometimes.
Cheers

I'm not really sure what this means. I mean, I know what you're asking, but truthfully any quality piece of gear (like any Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio) will "handle" whatever you do with it perfectly fine. When it comes to pickups, it's all about just trying to find the one that has the subtle nuances that you like/work for you.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by glenn.colclough
Cheers

The SD '59s won't do modern metal too well, but they can handle a bit of distortion.

The Godin Richmond Belmont uses the '59 as a bridge pickup, and a pair of SD lipstick pickups. Clearly, the Belmont is aimed at classic rock/blues/country tones, but it can still deliver a punch with the right rig- check the beginning of this Belmont demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzFC63tddg&sns=em

And this one, about 3 minutes in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAI0JUbO6Uo&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Offworld92
^ Agreed, that's why I rec'd Air Zone.

Good call. I haven't tried it but on paper anyway it looks to be a less hot tone zone.

Quote by glenn.colclough
Cheers

depends. generally speaking, hotter pickups are more voiced towards heavier distortion (though there are exceptions), so if you know you want modern levels of high gain distortion, a higher output pickup (or at least a pickup known to sound good with heavy distortion) is often a good idea.

That's not to say lower output pickups won't distort, or necessarily sound bad with distortion, though, and some players may well prefer the sound of a lower output pickup with heavy distortion.

It just depends, really.

Fuzz is a bit different, most classic fuzz tones used vintage output pickups (citation needed ) so more modern style pickups probably aren't as necessary for that. In fact a lot of players think fuzz (or at least, certain types of fuzz) sounds better with single coils...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by glenn.colclough
Hey Guys,

I can't say I'm looking for anything like a metal/classic rock tone, as i'm more attracted to guitar sounds like.. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (i know he plays a 335, far from a strat heh), Jack White and Deap Vally.

it might be worth pointing out that Jack White and Lindsey Troy use (for the most part) single coils or filtertron-esque pickups and not humbuckers
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Hmmm...that could be a good point. I don't actually know what they use, TBH.

If true, though, look at TV Jones.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmmm...that could be a good point. I don't actually know what they use, TBH.

If true, though, look at TV Jones.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?