I plan on starting a band. I play guitar and sing (although I need to work on doing both in harmony) I have a bassist on hold and were going for sort of an experimental prog metal sound with influences from psychedelic industrial death metal and power metal and also a slight punk and funk metal influence, I plan on writing lots of "epic" sounding 10 minute songs and probably some longer. The problem is that I have the style down in my head but I'm still missing some elements, can anyone reccomend some bands for influence? I currently listen to a lot of Tool and Symphony X and a bit of Opeth (at the moment I can only play tool though but I'm planning on learning some SX songs) any suggestions for some other bands to check out?
Sounds like you are trying to categorize yourself before you have actually even written anything. Yes, I think it's good to have some kind of picture of what you want to do. But I would just write music and not think too much about it. Categorizing yourself too strictly will just limit you.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115