Hello,

I've run into a problem with my TH30. It makes no sound whatsoever. No crackle, no hum (like it usually does a little), absolutely nothing.

To set the scene: I was at rehearsal, everything worked fine. We took a rather long break, so I turned it off. We came back (it was completely cooled down), I turned it on (let it warm up) and nothing came out of it.

Straight to the amp, nothing in the loop. No sound. Tried 2 guitars, 2 cables, tried the cab and speaker cable with another amp, both 8 ohm outs (separately of course), 2 output tubes or 4, half or full power. No sound. The problem is definitely the amplifier.

Tubes are still stock after a little over a year (they worked perfectly fine up until today, no loss in tone), transportation is always gentle and it's taken good care of.

Pre-amp tubes still light up as usual, can't see the power tubes or loop tube because of the metal cylinders around them (and I haven't taken out the chassis).

My plan was to get new tubes at some point anyway (but you know, a pedal is more fun to buy than new tubes), but if it's not the tubes, it would be nice not to have to purchase tubes right now. It's still under warranty (and I'm aware that warranty doesn't cover tubes). I would take the chassis out, only if I knew how and that it wouldn't void my warranty.

Thanks in advance,
Laurens
Plug some stuff in the fx loop return and see if anything comes out of the speakers.
Plug some stuff in the fx loop send and see if anything comes out of it when you play something through the amp's input.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok, I'll try that as soon as possible. It's 1:54 in the morning right now, so that'll be for tomorrow. Any suggestions of what to plug into the send? Not really sure, as I've never plugged something solely into the send. I can run another pre-amp into the return though.
I think he meant to plug your guitar directly into the loop. The sound, if there is any, will be really low, but could help you to isolate the issue. If sound comes out that is good by the way.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Tried both. Pre-amp into the return and send to a power-amp. No sound at all. I know nothing about the technical stuff, to inform you, so what could be the problem here and would it be a costly fix? I know it's probably impossible to tell without having the amp on the bench, but I'm just looking for some pointers here.

Is it worth it to try new tubes, or do I bring it to a tech straight away?
yeah, new tubes, and check the fuses on the inside of the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Since you were planning on new tubes anyway I would give that a shot. If that isn't the culprit then you now have extra tubes laying around.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by I K0nijn I
Tried both. Pre-amp into the return and send to a power-amp. No sound at all.

Quote by I K0nijn I
I know nothing about the technical stuff
In substance this means that both your pre and your power amp aren't working.
Quote by I K0nijn I
what could be the problem here and would it be a costly fix?
I don't really know of anything that makes all of that stuff stop working apart from blown fuses.
Or a whole ****in lot of bad luck - you would have had to **** both a pre AND a power tube at the same time.

I reckon it's not the second case 'cause Murphy's not that much of an asshole, and the tubes were all working before, so I'd check if the fuses are blown.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Is it worth it to try new tubes, or do I bring it to a tech straight away?
As before, unless you had a loooooooooot of bad luck, it's not the tubes, so after checking the fuses I'd bring it straight to a tech.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Wait, how did we determine his preamp is bad dude, we know that if he plugged into the return and got no sound that the power amp is suspect but pluggin into the send and getting nothing tells us that.

I'm going with power tubes and/or fuses, you mentioned that there were tubes with shields over them and ones without mentioning the ones without shields were preamp tubes, but I'm pretty sure those would be your power tubes. If they are putting off any glow out all I think it would make sense they weren't working anymore.

Edit: my bad, just reread OP, you did misname them TS (I think) but you said the unshielded were lit anyway. Still could be (and I think is) power tubes and fuses. You can take those shields of easily you know, they just twist and spring off. You may have the push them down a bit but still not hard.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Jul 14, 2014,
Sorry, my bad for switching up the tubes. I'll check if I can take off the shields and I'll look if they power up. If I switched up the tubes, that would mean that the power tubes do in fact light up as usual.

I'll check the fuse as well (where would fuses inside the amplifier be, by the way? I can only see one at the back).

I also notice it doesn't nearly get as hot as it normally would. Is that just an effect of having no sound, or could it be an indicator of something being wrong?

Thanks for the quick replies and help guys, really appreciate it.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Wait, how did we determine his preamp is bad dude
Quote by I K0nijn I
Pre-amp into the return and send to a power-amp. No sound at all.
This sounds like a not working pre to me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
This sounds like a not working pre to me.

No by plugging into the FX return you are bypassing the preamp all to geather and only hitting the power amp with a signal. To test the pre you would go from the FX send to an external power amp to see if you have got a signal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robb, that's what I did and meant by "send to a power amp". Sorry if that was not clear.

I checked the fuse in the back and it seems fine. Took the shields off and all tubes light up as they normally would.

10MP picture in spoiler-tag.

I'm probably just taking it to a tech tomorrow (shop isn't open today).
There are heater fuses for the power tubes mounted on the PCB inside the amp. I'd be willing to bet one or more blew because you have a dodgy power tube. Get a new set of EL84's (JJ seems to make the best new EL84) and replace the fuses with the correct value and then, if you still have a issue, take it to a tech.

New EL84's do not last very long when compared to typical big bottle 6l6/el34 tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just taking it to the tech tomorrow and I'll see what is going to be said and done.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I'll report back when I get it back from the tech.
Based on the manual that amp has an HT fuse. If that fuse blows then the amp acts as if it is on standby. I.E. it powers up but produces no sound. I saw no mention of a heater fuse in the amp. BTW, HT means High Tension or in layman's terms it's the fuse that supplies the High Voltage to the tubes (Tension = Voltage)
I checked the fuse and it seemed fine though. The wire was intact, no coloration in it or anything. Looked good.

Took it back to the shop, they sent it back to the distributor under full warranty. Should have it back next week or so, they said.
If it blew a fuse and is under warranty then that's the best course of action, because it signals another problem. But out of curiosity... there are two fuses on the back panel. Did you check both?
I only saw one, where would the second one be? I only saw (and checked) the HT fuse.

Well you checked the right one. The other fuse is below the power plug in the black plastic socket. If it was blown then the amp wouldn't have any power.