Things to do outdoors: Survive a lightning strike (SONGWRITING - Week 29)

Poll: Best song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best song?
Song 1
3 21%
Song 2
1 7%
Song 3
7 50%
Song 4
3 21%
Voters: 14.
Hey

I'm gonna teach you stuff now, ok?

So, what if you got lost in the wilderness? You'd be scared shitless when the night came, cry, and get raped by a bear. Or lightning.
Anyway, possibly important knowledge (but not really), incoming:

- Go inside a building or car. Done.

OR:

- Crouch, but don't lie down.

- Make sure the only thing touching the ground is the balls of your feet. Hehehe.

- Your heels should be touching, because if lightning strikes the ground near you it'll ALMOST CERTAINLY go through your feet, without taking a tour around your body.

- Cover your ears.

- Don't shit your pants.

AND DON'T FORGET COVER WEEK IS COMING SOON, 2 WEEKS LEFT!

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Straight Jacket" (FoOltz)

2 - "Nostalgia" (Joshua1207)

3 - "elomé" (whywefight)

4 - "Scattered Poetry" (sickman411, semiquaver)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is last week's most voted song, from chev311e, it's "This Song", with 6 votes!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Friday. The winner of this week's voting will become a mod in our group.

------------------
Sometimes all we have to do is get the watah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRItYDKSqpQ

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32788263
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jul 13, 2014,
Took a double-take at the poll to make sure I wasn't voting for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk

But seriously, my vote was "elomé". I like the feel and composition the most.
Gear:
Ibanez GSA60 Guitar through Zoom G1Xon to Vox VT40+
Ibanez SR300 Bass to Acoustic B100
Alright lets give these a listen.

___

Straight Jacket

Awesome doomy chords on the intro, mixed nicely as well. I like the chorus, its very defined as the part you would sing along to nice and loud at a show.

Nostalgia

Nice and dreamy, I love how the high notes are panning left to right and then back again.

elomé

Definitely up my street, the intro builds so well. The whole vibe of this is really cool, and I like how breaks down and all creeps back in at the end.

Scattered Poetry

Another good intro. Nice use of harsh guitar sound to a soft melody, it makes it all very tense with all the voices as well. Reminds me of some of the really early Slipknot or Korn stuff in places (I mean that as a compliment if it doesn't seem like one haha), that and Tool. Awesome.

___

Its a really hard choice, I think I'll go with elomé. With such a varied mix of songs you've all got me inspired for next week haha. Good stuff guys.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by Skinny91
elomé

Definitely up my street

I thought it sounded a bit like your stuff tbh.
@whywefight: What does elomé mean?

Quote by Skinny91
Scattered Poetry

Another good intro. Nice use of harsh guitar sound to a soft melody, it makes it all very tense with all the voices as well. Reminds me of some of the really early Slipknot or Korn stuff in places (I mean that as a compliment if it doesn't seem like one haha), that and Tool. Awesome.

Yeah I can kind of see the resemblance to Korn, I guess. But yeah, not an influence at all. We did do a couple of heavier songs lately, this one and Happen, two weeks ago, not sure why really. And I used Drop D for the first time on this song too.

The voices bit was the most fun to do. We each did 3-4 improvised takes over that section of the song, with the help of a random word site (one of us sang while the other generated more words every so often). We then heard them individually, threw away a couple of bits that sucked, cut the rest up into 16 parts and gave them numbers, randomised the numbers and laid the clips on 6 tracks in that random order, and reversed the clips on half of the tracks. That "it's worrying how" bit stood out so we repeated it a few more times along with a couple of other incomprehensible bits.

Also, the songwriting/recording process took an unexpected turn halfway through. We were going to make a sort of long structureless song that got fuller and more developed throughout but never with drastic changes. But then we found that we could have a nice verse-chorus thing with some of the ideas that we had so we just took things that way. Kind of explains why the first verse only kicks in around 2:45.

As for you guys' songs, cool stuff this week! Lacking in quantity though. Since I'll probably have the chance to give them all a second listen, I'll vote and maybe review them then, but I'm leaning heavily towards whywefight.
Interesting, I thought I had voted and commented yesterday, turns out I hadn't
Anyway I really liked all of the songs, very interesting stuff this week. I voted for sickman/semiquaver I loved the things you did with the voices, really cool
Fooltz's is by far the best song this week, imo.

Not to say the others are bad by any stretch. Quite interesting mix of songs this week, in fact. But Fooltz's was great.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Thanks Spoony, wwf, and mystery person!

Voted for elomé, I could listen to that part at 1:12 all day.
Don't worry brah, I understand you.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦