I'm looking to buy a Charvel San Dimas in the (rather far) future, and the only problems I have with the guitar is that a) it has no tone knobs, and b) it has a 3 way toggle.

How much do you think replacing the toggle with a tone knob and drilling a slot for a 5 way super switch would cost?
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
If you do this mod yourself, it will cost about 25-30 bucks for the superswitch and tone potentiometer.
For the switch slot, I would take my rotary tool (borrow one if you don't have one) and and a small cutting disc. Be sure to cover the area with some tape to protect the finish, and work slowly and carefully. But this should not be awfully complicated.
I just searched for pictures of this guitar, it's a flat top, looks like a strat without a pickguard. So I think you won't have to worry that the wood of the top is too thick for the superswitch.
I think the most complicated part is the wiring, but the web is full of wiring diagrams and soldering is not that hard.
Good luck!
Right-wing morons, go suck my d#ck!

Check out my friends' bands...
Unrepentant (melodic death metal) >> YouTube | Soundcloud | facebook
Blutgericht (metalcore) >> YouTube | facebook
Support your local scene!
Last edited by offspring93 at Jul 16, 2014,
Well, the tone pot isn't hard to do myself, but I think I may have to send it in to a luthier to get the superswitch done. I can wire normal 3 way and 5 way (on a good day), but I shudder to think about wiring a superswitch.

The switch's not costly to me, but I'm sure some routing will be involved, as I don't think the control cavity is large enough...

Hopefully not too expensive lol
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
If you can wire a standard 5-way, you can wire a superswitch too Just follow the diagram. The fender super switch is easy to solder. What switching positions are you planning to do? What brand of PUs?
I have no experience with routing though. If you can borrow a router, you could try if you can do it yourself. I would take a worthless piece of wood and do some testing / practicing before.

However, if you decide to take your instrument to a guitar tech, costs reeeally vary... You may contact a guitar tech and ask for the costs, to be sure.

I know the cost of the wiring, but not the routing lol. Anyway I plan to do neck series/neck parallel/both parallel/bridge coil split/and bridge series.

The thing is, the luthier I know can do that and more. His pricing isn't too ugly and his work very neat as well.

Which means resale value wouldn't be affect as much lol.
Gear:
Well, I don't really know how to help you, but I checked the thread for fun and now I'm wondering that what is a superswitch? I probably sound like a complete noob, but I've never heard of it before. How does it differ from a standard 5-way?
Quote by guitar/bass95
Well, I don't really know how to help you, but I checked the thread for fun and now I'm wondering that what is a superswitch? I probably sound like a complete noob, but I've never heard of it before. How does it differ from a standard 5-way?

A super switch has 20 lugs
Gear:
So, if I assume correctly, there is a huge difference in what kind of configurations you can wire? Standard switches have something like less than ten lugs if I'm correct. Sorry for derailing your thread, I was just curious.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jul 14, 2014,
I'm pretty sure that, with the right tools, you can wire any configuration.
Gear:
A superswitch (also called megaswitch sometimes) is basically four 5-position switches in one. "4-pole 5-throw". Google guitar superswitch explained, you will find detailled explainations witch graphics. You have a lot of possibilities with a switch like that, but there are still limitations if you really want to go crazy with wiring. There are also switches with even more poles (up to 8 switches in one), by EYB if I remember this correctly. With these, you can really do about anything, but I don't know where you can get these.

a dual concentric pot and a push-pull (assuming you can get a push-pull with a dual concentric ) might be the cheapest way to achieve that. rather than a 5-way.

if you don't have your heart set on the san dimas, the so cal with the scratchplate would likely be easier to do what you actually wanted in the original post. no worries if you want the san dimas, though, just thinking out loud about what your options are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a dual concentric pot and a push-pull (assuming you can get a push-pull with a dual concentric ) might be the cheapest way to achieve that. rather than a 5-way.

if you don't have your heart set on the san dimas, the so cal with the scratchplate would likely be easier to do what you actually wanted in the original post. no worries if you want the san dimas, though, just thinking out loud about what your options are.

Easier, yes, but I'm rather prejudiced against guitars with pickguards.
Gear:
No worries, that's absolutely your prerogative. If we admitted how much cosmetics factor into our decisions people would take our opinions on tone a lot less seriously
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

And what I could fool people into believing it's custom shop.
Gear:
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?