So I'm just wondering. I've decided to dedicate my life to being the best guitarist/songwriter/singer/producer I can be. I have everything i need at home to record at whatever level I need. I just need to know where would be the best place for me to go to enhance my skills in all of these areas the best and fastest way. I can only push myself to learn on my own so much...
Just constantly push yourself.

One of my favourite lyricists is Sam Beam (of Iron and Wine). Something about the way he tells stories is so magical. I've heard stories that he apparently used to write at least one set of lyrics a day (it may have been five, but I may be exaggerating that). But it was that sort of dedication and constant self-motivation that helped him become as good as he is.

If you want to be the best guitarist/songwriter/singer/producer it will need to be your life (IF you want to be the best). You will have to give it everything you have. You will have to give it even more than that. There is no fast way. There is no easy way.

If this really is something you want to do, I would really recommend trying to write a song a day. If you can't start with that, start with maybe one a week. Or one a month. But find a point that you are comfortable at, and constantly push yourself beyond that.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
The fastest way? Find an instructor who knows what they are talking about. That instructor should be able to play in a particular style you thoroughly enjoy and sounds good to your ears. Don't learn guitar from people who sound mediocre.

So basically...just find a real life teacher who satisfies what I just said, they need to know what they are talking about for crying out loud. That would surely be one speedy way. Of course, you can search through the internet for instruction...but a lot of it is junk and will leave you scratching your head more than not.
Quote by Unreal T

Of course, you can search through the internet for instruction...but a lot of it is junk and will leave you scratching your head more than not.

Not a lot of it is junk imo. It's usually correct and if there's something wrong, there will be people whining about it in the comments.
In my experience the best and fastest way to improve is to work with people who are much better than you at everything that you want to be good at. Listen to what they say, watch how they carry themselves, ask questions when appropriate, etc.

Also if you can, try playing with people who play a different kind of music than you're used to and steal their licks.
Quote by tyle12
So I'm just wondering. I've decided to dedicate my life to being the best guitarist/songwriter/singer/producer I can be. I have everything i need at home to record at whatever level I need. I just need to know where would be the best place for me to go to enhance my skills in all of these areas the best and fastest way. I can only push myself to learn on my own so much...

1st of all forget the whole "genius" BS. You either are, or you aren't…. doesn't really matter.

if you love playing, then play alot. If you play alot, you will get good.

along, with playing all the time, try taking some lessons, and if you're ready for it, consider joining a band or finding any situation that allows you to play with other people.

It takes time so you have to get past this whole "learning the best and fastest way" idea. If you don't have patience, it's just not going to come together for you.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 14, 2014,
The best place to learn is in the real world. Get out of your bedroom and play outside with real people.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
lol thats probably the best advice ive heard...but playing with records imo counts as playing with real people...
No, it doesn't.

A record isn't going to suddenly change tempo or suddenly re-jig a section, stop playing with you because you keep screwing up, offer friendly advice on how you can improve or tell you to rein on your ego.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by tyle12
lol thats probably the best advice ive heard...but playing with records imo counts as playing with real people...

Yes, and talking to a tv screen counts as having a conversation.

Jamming with a cd may be fun and stuff, but it doesn't compare to playing in a band. Different skillsets.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud