Is it possible to replace my bass amp and guitar amps with just one amp for practice AND live work on both instruments?
I know, I know... "tone sacrifice" and "get a head and two cabs" etc etc
But just wondering if it's possible to sound half decent with anything out there.
Peavey VIP?

Budget: unlimited (this is just theoretical for now)
Style: Rock, some metal tones required (guitar at least).
UK
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Axe FX. All day long.

Sounds great for studio with bass and guitar, and you can run it straight to the PA for guitar, though I haven't tried that with a bass. You could always get a power amp and a neutral sounding bass cab if you don't want to rely on the PA.
Any good DME from Pod, Tonelab or others and a powered PA speaker. Done for less than $800.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
For band rehearsal a PA might not be there, so can't rely on that.
Quote by Roc8995
You could always get a power amp and a neutral sounding bass cab if you don't want to rely on the PA.
Any examples of these you know of?
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
One Amp to rule them all, One Amp to find them,
One Amp to bring them all and in the Tonequest bind them.

Sorry, I have nothing to add, just felt like putting that here...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Perfect!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
the answer is modular. check out randall's RM series. you can swap different tube preamps in and out all day. fender cleans, mesa lead, dumble lead, vox cleans, marshall crunch....it gets expensive the more modules you get, but if you have a couple of distinct amps you want to cover, it's both relatively cheap, and amazing.
I'd get a Pod HD or a kemper or an axe fx + a relatively big power amp, say the yamaha P2500S, and one or two of the cabs despellman always talks about.

I can't remember what they were but hel'' probably pop here any minute from now and kindly remind us.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Arby911

frickin mordor would be a walk in the park compared to finding an amp that'd do all that

seriously, though, i haven't tried the axe fx but it has a really good rep. colin knows what he's talking about.

EDIT: also randall rm100 as NITR suggested might be worth a try. I dunno how it'd handle bass, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
frickin mordor would be a walk in the park compared to finding an amp that'd do all that

I just read that in an Austin Powers / Dr. Evil voice.

It was hilarious, I kill me!!!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
I just read that in an Austin Powers / Dr. Evil voice.

It was hilarious, I kill me!!!

https://reverb.com/item/101795-all-tube-guitar-amp-shark-c-head
There are no frickin' laser beams attached to this head.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 14, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
I'd get a Pod HD or a kemper or an axe fx + a relatively big power amp, say the yamaha P2500S, and one or two of the cabs despellman always talks about.

I can't remember what they were but hel'' probably pop here any minute from now and kindly remind us.

+1

I'm using my HD500X for my bass tone: a Bassman model combined with the Ampeg model. Straight up, it sounds ****ing fantastic. I'm planning on ditching my Peavey dinosaur and getting a QSC power amp for it and a nice sub or bass cab.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
how much money is the zen trying to cost? cause most suggestions thus far are not cheap
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Rm100
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Rm100

Not a bass amp though. I mean you could get a Bassman or a Thunderverb module and put it into a bass cab, but 100W is still not going to get you very far.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah you could. Jaded Faith make an SVT module. Use speakers that work for both, say EVM-12L and you're away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Didn't do a NAD when I had the Thunderverb 200 but I can probably submit a review. Matt had the Thunderverb 50 briefly, I'm pretty sure.

The Judist should be able to find a used but minty one for a silly price in his neck of the woods.

I've been on a bit of a "versatility" kick recently.

The Variaxes cover a huge range of guitar sounds.
I'm still looking for a Variax 705 bass.
The Kronos X keyboard is just stunning for its range of sounds (and it includes a sequencer for recording).
I've got Pods and an Axe-FX Ultra -- the Bass Pod XT is a great front end for bass (amps and cabs), the Pods (XT and HD) cover a lot of distance in the FX, amps and cabs arena, and the Torpedo C.A.B. used in conjunction with the pod pretty much covers what the Pods lack. The Axe-FX are good units, too, though pricey. Think of them as the Two Rock of modelers; a boutique item that may be overkill for whatever you're doing.

While you can argue about what's "better" in doing the job, certainly the choices available can cover your bases.

Oh, and get some of those speakers that dspellman is always talking about.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 15, 2014,
Quote by Ippon
Click:

What did you think of those prices at Reverb?

Quote by Cathbard
Rm100

No, RM1250
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, RM1250

Guess that could work?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, RM1250

Can I get that on zzounds payment plan?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
If I keep buying modules I'm gonna end up needing one of those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've said before you need two of the four module rack units with one loaded with clean to slight grit and the other with light to heavy grit, a power amp and you alesis quad. Damn, I've only considered parting with the Mesa Roadster for one thing and its two of those Rm rack units and a power amp lol. The mesa plays so well with the volume and tone controls though that with the four channels and selectable boost alone I can get all the tones I could even need.

*disclaimer, forgive misspelling since I've drunk more than one should please.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Thats what Billy Corgin uses - well, the two Rm4's part anyway. Loaded with Salvation modules. That's like over $3k in modules alone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification