At the moment I have a Roland Cube 30X which I bought like 7 years ago. Im thinking of getting a new amp since I believe there is something better out there for me.

I mostly play metal and rock music, rarely blues and clean.

- I can't play it loud since it will be in an apartment with bad sound isolation. I have never played my current Roland Cube 30X without the power squeeze button (it makes the amp 5W instead of 30W). And even with the 5W i rarely turn the knob more than halfway.
That is about how loud I can go.

- I use the metal setting 95% of the time (the R-fier setting).

I have been thinking about some modeling amps. My biggest question is if there are any practice bedroom amps that will make a difference to make it worth buying, or is the Roland Cube 30X one of the better ones still?

The most interesting one is the Vypyr VIP 1, 2 or 3 (what are the differences?) but I'm obviously open for suggestions. My dream would be to get something like a 6505 or something but that is not an option at the moment since it is too loud(?).

Budget is not an issue really as long as it is not $1000 or more.

Is it worth getting a new amp for my preferences or will my current Roland Cube 30X suffice? What should I get if it's worth upgrading?

TLDR: I play metal music in a bedroom environment. Is it worth upgrading my Roland Cube 30X or is it a waste of money since I can't play that loud?
Last edited by xaedon at Jul 14, 2014,
Yeah that's a tough one. I don't have much experience with this, but that'd be my concern too, if it's already as good as it's going to get for your particular situation, you're just spending money for the sake of it.

Some of the more expensive/higher-end modellers might well be better in your situation, but they might be a lot more money, too. As I said, though, I don't have much experience so I'd wait till one of the other regulars can help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, I feel the same. If it's not an upgrade then there is no need to buy something new. However, there are some features on newer amps that I could use such as looping which I don't have on my Roland Cube.

And honestly, there must be some amp I can get that is better than my seven year old cube that I bought as a beginner amp for about 150 euro? It seems weird if the next step is a tube amp which wont handle low volumes well.
Definitely try a Peavey Vypyr. I think they have a Looper and it does metal better than any other solid state IMO. honestly though, try a 6505. While it wouldn't be ideal in a bedroom, it didn't sound too bad to me with the volume low and running off preamp distortion.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by xaedon

And honestly, there must be some amp I can get that is better than my seven year old cube that I bought as a beginner amp for about 150 euro? It seems weird if the next step is a tube amp which wont handle low volumes well.

Better yes, actually worth the upgrade is another story. And who says a tube amp won't handle low volume well, as long as it has master volume controls it's fine, my 20 watt JCA 2212c is great a low volume more so than my AC4TV due to it's lack of master volume
Quote by jaymz9350
Better yes, actually worth the upgrade is another story. And who says a tube amp won't handle low volume well, as long as it has master volume controls it's fine, my 20 watt JCA 2212c is great a low volume more so than my AC4TV due to it's lack of master volume

okay, in that case i am open to suggestions on all kinds of amps as long as they sound good on low volumes and handle metal well.
How about a POD and headphones? Just a thought...
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Quote by EMarkM

this would also work. line 6 gets a lot of flack, but their higher end modeling does the job well.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Used Peavey Vyper Tube. It's a modeler, but has a 6505 power section. I think it is one of the best modeling amps outside of something infinitely more expensive such as a Kemper or Axe FX II. They sound good at low volumes, but also good when cranked. It has a 6505 model as well as a Rectifier model and several others. When I played one, I mostly played it on the 6505 model to see how it compared to the real thing. While it doesn't quite compare to my 6505, it does a faithful job, and actually sounds a little better at lower volumes.

However, in my opinion, the 6505/6505+ doesn't sound bad at low volumes. You just need a boost pedal in front of the amp and it sounds a lot closer to the way it does cranked. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I had to run my amp at "1," I'd still own my 6505+. Thankfully, I can run mine at "3" whenever I want.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
How low do you have to play? I play tube amps at home with the volume around 1, and I think they sound good, but I don't share walls with neighbours. A hybrid tube/modeller might well be worth considering, like the vypyr tube KailM mentioned, too, but I haven't tried it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you will buy a Laney IRT studio. your welcome.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by EMarkM

I second that. POD HD Desktop is so versatile with heaps of tones and so much more convenient for recording as you can just plug it in to your computer through USB. All you need are speakers/monitors and headphones to listen through it.

See this video for tone. I've just used a POD HD Desktop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2BDFAA8yDU
Last edited by bgao13 at Jul 15, 2014,
peavey vypyr tube 60. has headphone output also.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i recently played a Fender Princeton that had built in distortion and power scaling. kinda kool option if you want studio quality sound.
Peavey Vypyr or Line6 Amplifi.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Please check the age of the thread before posting.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!