At the moment, I use a iRig HD for recording guitar and bass. I am looking at getting a new interface and I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I will be recording guitar, bass, and vocals and will be using Logic Pro X. Is this a good interface for my needs?
Should be fine depending on your budget. You can get much better 2i4o interfaces for not too much more money (relatively) especially since you're on a Mac. MOTU and Apogee make Mac-only hardware, both of which make things on a level above Focusrite.

The Apogee Duet 2 has the same 2i4o routing on the Scarlett, but at about 3x the price (but you get 10x the quality). Sometimes Apogee has great restock/refurb deals on their site, and MOTU stuff goes SUPER cheap on craigslist for some reason.

MOTU and Apogee aren't as widely discussed around here because the majority of folks in these forums are using PCs. You should do your research across all brands available to you and see what will work best.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Should be fine depending on your budget. You can get much better 2i4o interfaces for not too much more money (relatively) especially since you're on a Mac. MOTU and Apogee make Mac-only hardware, both of which make things on a level above Focusrite.

The Apogee Duet 2 has the same 2i4o routing on the Scarlett, but at about 3x the price (but you get 10x the quality). Sometimes Apogee has great restock/refurb deals on their site, and MOTU stuff goes SUPER cheap on craigslist for some reason.

MOTU and Apogee aren't as widely discussed around here because the majority of folks in these forums are using PCs. You should do your research across all brands available to you and see what will work best.

My budget is around $200. Before I purchase a new audio interface, I want to make sure it will last me a while. My main problem with my iRig is it's very limited and basic. I want something with more features and better recording quality.
I agree with everything Scott said.

$200 will not get you even a used first gen duet, though if you're looking for something really high quality for the money, that's what I'd go for.
I'd check the motu stuff on ebay and craigslist and reverb, that too is pretty high quality hardware.

If you can't manage to get any of those, my vote goes to the mackie onyx blackjack.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I agree with everything Scott said.

$200 will not get you even a used first gen duet, though if you're looking for something really high quality for the money, that's what I'd go for.
I'd check the motu stuff on ebay and craigslist and reverb, that too is pretty high quality hardware.

If you can't manage to get any of those, my vote goes to the mackie onyx blackjack.

Bolded: it will on Nashville craigslist, but we're spoiled

I would definitely try to stretch that budget, especially if you want something to last. Even getting up to $300 or 400 will make a gigantic difference. First gen Duet or something by MOTU is definitely what you will be aiming for in the sub-$300 budget, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I would prefer to purchase new from a store. I understand $200 won't get me something with amazing quality. I want something that's better than my iRig. I want to have good quality recordings.
Quote by Sid McCall

MOTU aren't Mac-only. Every single one of their interfaces has Windows drivers.

Apogee and Metric Halo are the only Mac-only ones now, as far as I know.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
MOTU aren't Mac-only. Every single one of their interfaces has Windows drivers.

Apogee and Metric Halo are the only Mac-only ones now, as far as I know.

Oh, for real? Maybe the used to be and I never noticed that it changed?

Either way, they're great devices.

For $200, and not a penny more, go with the focusrite or a mackie onyx. Then stop worrying about the little things and spend time making music and recording it instead of driving yourself nuts over the little things
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Oh, for real? Maybe the used to be and I never noticed that it changed?

Either way, they're great devices.

For $200, and not a penny more, go with the focusrite or a mackie onyx. Then stop worrying about the little things and spend time making music and recording it instead of driving yourself nuts over the little things

I would spend a bit more than $200. $250 would probably be the max. I want to make the right decision and get the best interface for the money.
Quote by GuitarFlip1
I would spend a bit more than $200. $250 would probably be the max. I want to make the right decision and get the best interface for the money.

The best way to do that is to buy used. Put the idea in your head and sleep on it, you might find that you're okay with it if it means much higher quality recordings for a long time.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
To avoid problems, I want to go new. I don't feel comfortable purchasing off Craigslist. If there is an issue, it's a lot easier to bring it back to the store if I got it new.

Anyways, the 2i4 does have better recording quality than the iRig HD? Correct?
Quote by GuitarFlip1
To avoid problems, I want to go new. I don't feel comfortable purchasing off Craigslist. If there is an issue, it's a lot easier to bring it back to the store if I got it new.

Anyways, the 2i4 does have better recording quality than the iRig HD? Correct?

Correct
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Look at the Steinberg UR22
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster